By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Japanese opens 360 and investigates Overheating issue

I like how it took MS so long to even partially admit they had a problem with the system.

Around the Network

My friend really wants a 360 and she has been saving up for a little while now to get one. I'm gonna stay in touch with her to see how it goes as well as try and hang out with her to play it since I don't think anybody will have one at the apartment.

This is really interesting.

bdbdbd said:

The issue is that 90 Celsius (sorry, my mobile phone doesn't have "degree" mark in it) is the gap between the temperature of it's evinronment. So, the article predicted, that when it's very hot and room temperature can climb up to 35 Celsius, that means the graphics LSI may reach temperature of 125 Celsius. And to compare with, they desinfect (did i spell it correctly) the hospital instruments in a steam with temperature of 120 Celsius.

Thanks for that clarification.  Still, for further clarification, the article says they measured a temperature difference of 57 C, and that it is "expected" to reach a difference of 90 C.  How did they arrive at that figure?

Also, 35 C = 95 F.  Who plays their 360 in a living room at 95 degrees Fahrenheit?  I would expect it to melt if I did that.  Room temperature is more like 72 F, or about 22 C.

Entroper said:
bdbdbd said:

The issue is that 90 Celsius (sorry, my mobile phone doesn't have "degree" mark in it) is the gap between the temperature of it's evinronment. So, the article predicted, that when it's very hot and room temperature can climb up to 35 Celsius, that means the graphics LSI may reach temperature of 125 Celsius. And to compare with, they desinfect (did i spell it correctly) the hospital instruments in a steam with temperature of 120 Celsius.

Thanks for that clarification.  Still, for further clarification, the article says they measured a temperature difference of 57 C, and that it is "expected" to reach a difference of 90 C.  How did they arrive at that figure?

Also, 35 C = 95 F.  Who plays their 360 in a living room at 95 degrees Fahrenheit?  I would expect it to melt if I did that.  Room temperature is more like 72 F, or about 22 C.

My house hits 90 F on a regular basis in the summer time in Minnesota.  And that is without a little heater( aka 360) pumping out 80 C air from it.  I can't imagine what the temp would be like in a home in Texas, Florida, or California.

Around the Network

lol my GPU rise over 100°c and never fried though.... why it goes that high???.... well try to have adobe CS 3 open on different application especially photoshop with picture of several Go to have 3Ds max running fullspeeed at the same time both applying filters or else.... and playing a videogame at the same time while you wait for the different request to be calculated... And you'll see your GPU temp going sky high.... that's why my desktop is open all the time... with 2 house fan blowing on it lol....

JHawkNH said:
Entroper said:
bdbdbd said:

Thanks for that clarification. Still, for further clarification, the article says they measured a temperature difference of 57 C, and that it is "expected" to reach a difference of 90 C. How did they arrive at that figure?

Also, 35 C = 95 F. Who plays their 360 in a living room at 95 degrees Fahrenheit? I would expect it to melt if I did that. Room temperature is more like 72 F, or about 22 C.

My house hits 90 F on a regular basis in the summer time in Minnesota. And that is without a little heater( aka 360) pumping out 80 C air from it. I can't imagine what the temp would be like in a home in Texas, Florida, or California.

I live in south carolina temp outside is 88 but noway I let my house going that high.... 75 maximum.... :) AC power... I'd rather pay the electricity bill than cooking in my house.... 

Entroper said:
bdbdbd said:

Thanks for that clarification. Still, for further clarification, the article says they measured a temperature difference of 57 C, and that it is "expected" to reach a difference of 90 C. How did they arrive at that figure?

Also, 35 C = 95 F. Who plays their 360 in a living room at 95 degrees Fahrenheit? I would expect it to melt if I did that. Room temperature is more like 72 F, or about 22 C.

Without going into too much detail, they likely calculated a rate of heat transfer between the inside and outside temperatures.  Then assuming that rate stays fairly constant, they can solve for the internal temperature of the xbox at the new external temp conditions(in this case 35 C).     

And a lot of people do not keep their room temp at 72 F.  Considering a lot of places in the summer hit outdoor temp of 80-100s, its unreasonable to assume everyone has their AC on at full blast.