By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which 1st and 2nd party games could Sony kill in order to save money?

lalalalalalalalalalalala

Around the Network

I'd put DC Online as Moderately Unsafe. It costs a lot to hosts MMOs and since consoles have never really had any MMOs this is a higher than normal cost risk. DC is high profile, yes but Marvel is bigger yet and their MMO is already cancelled. Plus videos of this game have been far from impressive so far. Old MMOs like Guild Wars look better than this does IMO.

M.A.G. may be unsafe for similar reasons. I don't know if it'll cost more to host a 256 person game or not. If it does then I expect them to re-evalute this one too.

RPG said:
Rainbird said:
How would the deal with Eat Sleep Play become a burden to Sony?
And the only titles I see as unsafe are Eyedentify, Eyepet and the games we do not yet know of (which is why we don't know them, as Sony still has the option of canning them)
If any of the other titles you mentioned go, Sony would be throwing too much money out of the window in terms of development expenses.

But think about it, tthe games you just mentioned must have tiny budgets compared to other games, no way would Sony drop them because so little money is being spent on it.

Don't get me wrong, I only think Eyedentify could go because we saw it at E3 '05, and Sony could have easily just phased it out. Which also seems to me what they have actually done (instead of actually announcing it, like they did with Eight Days). And if Eyepet were to go, it would be because Sony wanted their studio workforce to be working on something else, in other words, the game is expendable.

Most games that get canceled are ones we've never heard of.

Gamerace said:
I'd put DC Online as Moderately Unsafe. It costs a lot to hosts MMOs and since consoles have never really had any MMOs this is a higher than normal cost risk. DC is high profile, yes but Marvel is bigger yet and their MMO is already cancelled. Plus videos of this game have been far from impressive so far. Old MMOs like Guild Wars look better than this does IMO.

M.A.G. may be unsafe for similar reasons. I don't know if it'll cost more to host a 256 person game or not. If it does then I expect them to re-evalute this one too.

I think it would be too late for Sony to can MAG, it would hurt their image, considering they made a big deal of it at E3 '08.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
This is legend's second thread in 2 days predicting doom of SONY's or a stealthy predictions of doom for sony

Yeah, he's been posting a lot of anti-Sony rubbish lately...

DKII said:
Most games that get canceled are ones we've never heard of.

Indeed, I would assume Eight Days and the Getaway were just the tip of the iceberg in terms of cancellations, though I would assume those two got much further that most of the other cancelled games

RPG said:
Which games from 1st/2nd party have Sony lost money on? I see some melodrama is going on upon hearing about the job cuts, a whole 5% of the workforce to be gone by April 2010. :O

No studio is going to be sold off, especially when just one game (GT5) would pay off any dev costs of the other first party games in development.

+1.

Yea more than likely it'll be titles they haven't shown us.

It doesn't make sense for Sony to axe 1st/2nd party titles. These titles are the easiest to make money off of. Instead a $10 per game licensing fee, 1st/2nd party titles around $35 per game. I can understand Sony cutting back on third party exclusives but they'll need their 1st and 2nd party titles to pick up the slack.