By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY - Heavy Rain to be of a new genre -- "Interactive Drama"

I knew what you meant, I was only messing with you.

I would argue that we have made movements towards that particular breakthrough - the final sequence of Shadow of the Colossus is, again, the height of the medium so far for me in terms of storytelling. It communicated a lot without actually cramming anything in your face.

Around the Network

You're evil, Khuutra, messing with me like that.

I would argue that Portal is as far we have come today. It's a story that is played, rather than passivly observed. But I haven't finished Shadow of the Colossus...

But, again, let's hope that Heavy Rain can push storytelling forward. Let's hope that it offers more than the interactive dramas of the past.

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:
You're evil, Khuutra, messing with me like that.

I would argue that Portal is as far we have come today. It's a story that is played, rather than passivly observed. But I haven't finished Shadow of the Colossus...

But, again, let's hope that Heavy Rain can push storytelling forward. Let's hope that it offers more than the interactive dramas of the past.

I wouldn't say portal is as far as we have come. Half life 2 is told in the same way (but more exciting in the beginning)

Honestly when i started portal.. i hated it.. i really thought it was awesome in the end though XD .. but still... boring beginning in my opinion.

In either case, i think games like doom 3 and half life 2 are equally positioned with portal ... storytelling wise. Now i'm not saying they have great stories (well half life 2 has a really big universe but doom 3 is more simplified with the whole.. "go kill zombies.. and .. oh .. try to survive" thing they got going.

I also think there are other games that take it further.. without wanting to specify from the top of my head :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Shenmue for the PS3... what did they call Shenmue? FREE? Full Reactive Eye Entertainment or something

dammmmm...this game looks like real life

Around the Network
DTG said:
Khuutra said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ DTG

The gameplay shouldn't be that shallow, don't worry. But you are correct when you say this game's storyline should be it's selling point, hence why I'm so excited for it besides it's unrivaled presentation. Talk about BEAUTIFUL visuals, the best I've seen besides Killzone 2 and Crysis.

He is saying the more shallow the gameplay, the better

Look, most of the world doesn't want "deep" gameplay. If they did, the Wii and it's intuitive, simple controls wouldn't be wiping the floor with the competition. Better yet, tv's, movies and books wouldn't be wiping the floor (in terms of audiance size) with all 3 consoles combined. People want story, the faster you can give that to them with the least amount of work and distraction the more they're likely to follow. You;re a gamer and may not agree, but most of the world doesn't play games, and doesn't want to because it is too much work, effort for less conventional awards (beating the game rather than reciving an emotional or mental punch from a film or book, for a fraction of the time and effort necessary)

Aren't those the same games that lack storyline?

I mean, if gameplay isn't the selling point and story is, explain to me the sales of Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, the success of Wii Sports and many more non-story driven games.

Well MGS4 was the first movie I ever played so this may not be such a new venture.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
Well MGS4 was the first movie I ever played so this may not be such a new venture.

There is a big difference between MGS4's narritive and Heavy Rain's narritive.  IN MGS4, you can't change the story in anyway.  In Heavy Rain, you can change the story based on your decisions.

BTW people saying SONY can't say they are making a new genre.

The title is of my own interpretation of SONY's point of view with a bit of spice added...so SONY didn't say that directly at all!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

heck ive just seen the GT long video its awsome. ps3 fans have plenty of great titles coming in 2009

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...