By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Recommend a cheap video card

It appears the memory on my PCI Express GeForce 6600GT is corrupted.  I get black or multicoloured boxes across my screen when I'm running any 3D game or application.  I would like the card to be under $100 and at least the performance of my 6600GT.  I don't game much on my PC and I am not planning on upgrading it anytime soon.  

My PC:

• AMD Athlon 64 3000+
  • 1 GB DDR RAM
  • 1280x1024 Samsung monitor
  • Windows XP

I can get a HD2400 XT with 256MB for $27 CAD after MIR which should have roughly the same performance as my card.  However, I am willing to spend a bit more but I don't want to waste money on a card where my CPU or amount of RAM is a bottleneck.  Asus currently has a nice rebate on a 8800GS which would work out to be about $60 CAD, but I'm not sure if this would be overkill.  Also I would like a card that is quiet and efficient at idle.  At load I don't care as long as my Seasonic 300W PSU can deliever enough power.  Any suggestions?

Around the Network

sadly you have the same PC I do... and knowing that most recent video cards will be slowed down by your processor... the 6600 GT was a great card... my little bro stil uses my old one... I´m pretty sure your system won´t be able to use the 8800GS to the fullest due to the processor bottlenecking it... I have the same problem but only play strategy and older games anyway... so go with the cheapr card IMO... save the exra cash for a general upgrade...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ati-agp-3850-agp,1939.html

They tested an Athlon 64 like yours with newer cards to see if there was a bottleneck. For general 3D games, the 2600XT was the limit that the CPU didn't bottleneck. Therefore, you should buy whatever is the cheapest out of the following, all similar in performance to the 2600XT. Oh - make sure your board supports PCI-E. If it doesn't, newer video cards WILL NOT WORK. If you board is PCI, you have no chance. If your board has AGP, there are very few options but the 2600XT is one of them.

Here are my suggestions - pick the cheapest. The 8800GS will be no faster than these due to the CPU bottleneck.

Radeon HD 2600 XT
Radeon HD 3650
Radeon HD 3670
Radeon HD 4550
Geforce 8600GT
Geforce 9500GT

Thanks for link. This is exactly what I was looking for and unfortunately confirms that single core CPUs are past their prime for gaming.

Sadly it looks like the 8800GS or HD2400 XT I mentioned are the best deals. I can't find any of the suggestioned cards (or comprable) for under $60 at my normal stores. I will keep looking.

Blappo said:
Thanks for link. This is exactly what I was looking for and unfortunately confirms that single core CPUs are past their prime for gaming.

Sadly it looks like the 8800GS or HD2400 XT I mentioned are the best deals. I can't find any of the suggestioned cards (or comprable) for under $60 at my normal stores. I will keep looking.

Well, the 8800GS is better than any of those I mentioned, so if you can find that for your price but none of the others, then get the 8800GS.

It's really painful to recommend an Nvidia card when I'm an AMD person though.

Around the Network

Get a 7600GT. I know most people here will recommend 8800's and stuff, but you won't notice the difference as your processor and RAM are a huge bottleneck.

If you want to play new games I'm afraid you have to get a new system.

@Soleron - I also have a slight preference for AMD but I'm not going to choosy. I'm surprised the 8800GS is such a good deal (although it is overkill). I think ASUS is giving the large $35 rebate just to clear the channels.

@Chrizum - The 7600GT is in the same class that was mentioned so I am looking for one. However, I have not seen one yet. And yes I realize I will also need a new CPU, Mobo & RAM if I want to play anything new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

I have that 8600GT, works gr8 and can play CoD4, Fallout 3, CS:S, Hl2, so most of the older games but less newer games.

I would recommend a 4670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

Gr8 power and you dont need any extra pci-e power connectors to the 4670, just plug it in and should work with ur 300W PSU. This is my best suggestion, and it runs in the new ATi architecture. 512 MB, 128-bit, 320 stream processors, your best card.

Other recommendations, read this article (and look how the 4670 did) : http://techreport.com/articles.x/15559

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

Get the ATI Radeon HD 4850. Rufly $150?

Superb high-end card for very cheap.

8800gs 384mb. has gotten very good reviews and can easily be overclocked. got mine for $53 after mir.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka