By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - (Japan) it makes no sense for SE to keep FF XIII exclusive

Max King of the Wild said:
^ So? Do they also get the NA titles or do the buy the Japanese ones? If they have to wait for the US release then forget it getting the 10k sales.

I'd assume they'd buy the NA titles because that is what they'd sell at the base stores.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

If they do it will be after the 360 version is finished, a year after the PS3 release and while it might make a few sales, by then damage is done. Waiting any longer for the 360 version to be finished will just piss people off who have waited years already for this game. PS3 Japan sales will pay for localisation and 360 conversion.

Then after 2 years Europe might just get it.

Hmm, pie.

Isn't 360 region locked for a lot of games? I assume the NA version simply won't be able to play the Japan FFXIII even if the marines understand japanese...

^ I wouldn't know I never tried playing imports on my 360

Sony clearly have a deal with SE to keep it exclusive in Japan. I'm sure Square Enix wants this game out as soon as possible, a 360 version will only delay things.

I don't think Microsoft is petty enough to pay 40 million dollars to make it multiplat in Japan just to spite Sony. They get some 6 bucks per game sold, so with the 400k this would probably sell on the 360 in Japan, they'll get 3 million back.

Contrary to what some people believe, Microsoft are not business morons.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
whatever said:
It would make a lot more sense for SO4 to go multiplatform instead of FFXIII. All the JRPGs have sold like crap on the 360 in Japan.

Indeed it does because SO4 will sell just fine in the West, especially if S-E markets the game which they will.  However, the game's sales in Japan will suffer because the 360 is low on userbase there.  Japan-only or not, port SO4 for the PS3 would be a step in the right direction.

It makes no sense to me that SE would keep this game exclusive in Japan for any period of time if they don't have some agreement with Sony. Otherwise, they'll probably just release it after they finish the 360 port because it's easy money. At least that's the way I see it.

I wear glasses, though.

I don't like even the slight intent of getting FFXIII jp version. I don't want it to be pushed/hampered to 2010....

It wouldn't be 150k sold becouse I suspect that most of those 700k x360 owners already have ps3 and they would most probably already have it.

I don't think you seriously belive SE should wait several months and delay release of Japanise PS3 version to wait for x360 port ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Kantor said:
Sony clearly have a deal with SE to keep it exclusive in Japan. I'm sure Square Enix wants this game out as soon as possible, a 360 version will only delay things.

I don't think Microsoft is petty enough to pay 40 million dollars to make it multiplat in Japan just to spite Sony. They get some 6 bucks per game sold, so with the 400k this would probably sell on the 360 in Japan, they'll get 3 million back.

Contrary to what some people believe, Microsoft are not business morons.

1. It doesn't cost $40M to basicly copy the PS3 JP soundtrack onto the 360 version.

2. MS is that petty.

All MS would have to do is waive the licensing fee for the JP 360 version and I bet they'd do it. Maybe throw in some cash for marketing promotions, as if MS would not advertise the hell out of having FFXIII in JP now. They wouldn't have to sell many copies to make a small profit, and it'd make MS happy. I suppose Sony can't cry since the PS3 version would still outsell it.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire