By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: Motorstorm Pacific Rift hits over a million sold

According to Michael Denny, VP Sony Worldwide Studio Europe, Motorstorm PR has sold over a million units. Mentioned in an interview with gamesindustry.biz here.

"In terms of the other titles it was also important to focus on – the sequel to MotorStorm, we're pleased with the high Metacritic rating of 82 per cent and it's sold over a million units worldwide."

So has VGC severely undertracked MSPR sales or am I missing something?

Around the Network

That means shipped to retail (as in sold to retail to be more specific), not sold to consumers which VGC tracks.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I would imagine that this is sold to retail also rather than to the customer but i do find it hard to believe that makes over 750,000 copies sitting on shop shelves... Seems a little too high for me! I think it would possibly mean this has been undertracked, it does happen but people only seem to complain when it is on the PS3 rather than the 360 or the Wii...

desperate moves by sony, it is not even made to NPD, UK chart, vgchartz or other chartz, they using "sold" not shipped.

even retail musing, by member here, or neogaf, mention, this game is bombed hard.

wow sony..

@dejelek- Sony can't just come out and lie about how much they've shipped. It's illegal so far as I know.

Also 1 million sold to retail has probably given Sony a profit already.

Around the Network

@dallinor

as I said before

This isn't Nursery school.....SONY can't just "lie" about what they shipped

they can lose WAY MORE MONEY by being sued for doing that.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I'm intrigued. Who would sue?

i know, but looks, they clearly using words "sold", yes maybe they meant about shipped

but, i think the clear winner is, now we as consumer have independent tracking website. so sony can said whatever they like.

just look at when MS said GeOW2 already passed 3 mil, it is reflected with real sales from NPD, VGCHARTZ and other chart.

even retail musing on various website/forum support it inclusing vgchartz forum
but not about Motorstorm Pacific Rift, it is 750K difference

anyway i'm glad we do have independent tracking like NPD, VGchartz and others

So you don't think 750k can still be on shelves around the world?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

750k on shelf isn't that big of a gap for Motorstorm. Remember that retailer don't have crystal ball to know which game are going to flop and which game is going to sell well, they have to decide which game they buy, and how much, based on what they think will sell. I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of retailer overestimated the demand for Motorstorm considering the sale of the original, so they find themselve with a lot of unsold one on there hand.

That why the difference between shipped and sold can be quite big in the first few weeks of sale ,especially during the christmas period and for a game which didn't sell as well as it's predecessor.

Oh and people need to get there head around the fact that PR statement are just that, PR.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion