By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So i bought a DSi

I have been in Japan for a week now and will be for another 2 weeks and just decided to take the plunge and buy a DSi.  Luckily i can speak and read Japanese so using it is not really a problem.  Just let me give you a quick breakdown of what i noticed, i havent gotten too deep into it yet though.

- DSi is slimmer than the DS, but its actually slightly longer, i think its because of the bigger screen.  You dont really notice unless you put them side by side, they basically look the same in size.

- The sound quality is considerably better, the volume seems to go a little higher too and im pretty sure my taiko no tatsujin sounded better on my DSi.

- theres a camera on the inside and outside, the quality is good for viewing on the DS, i have a feeling it will look bad if i transfer it to my computer.

- Tons of ways to mess around with pictures, can be interesting for a while.  You can do the same with sound recordings too, can make them sound pretty funny.

- DSi seems to cap sound recordings at 10 seconds, dont know why.  not really a big deal.

- mp3s dont work on the DS, needs to be AAC.  Seems to be standard nowdays though.

I havent got it to connect to the internet yet to check out the download channel, i need to go to a wireless place.  Ill get to that later.  Im gonna sell my DS light when i get home so it wont cost quite so much, but since the exchange rate is so bad it costed me $200 for the DSi. 

I dont really recommend it if you already have a DS light yet unless you got some money to burn.  If you want an mp3 player and a camera with your DS you can sell the DS light and get a DSi then it is probably worth it.  Perhaps later there will be some really cool games on the DS channel or some exclusive DSi games (probably not soon then it will be worth it for anyone.

I went to the shop to buy chrono trigger and i ended up getting it.  I was shocked by how cheap it was, only 1000 yen!

Actually i was going to buy it for DS, but it was 4000 yen while the super famicom version was 1000 yen.  I never thought about getting the SF version but there just isnt enough  new stuff for me to spend that much money on it.

questions are welcome.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

What colors does it come in? I remember when the DSL came out there were only the black and white ones, whereas there are some really tasty alternatives available now.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

black and white, thats it.

One thing i noticed was that the part on the back of the DSi that opens and closes the DSi is thicker and shouldnt break easily. That part on my DS light broke and only stays fully opened or closed.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:

I have been in Japan for a week now and will be for another 2 weeks and just decided to take the plunge and buy a DSi.  Luckily i can speak and read Japanese so using it is not really a problem.  Just let me give you a quick breakdown of what i noticed, i havent gotten too deep into it yet though.

- DSi is slimmer than the DS, but its actually slightly longer, i think its because of the bigger screen.  You dont really notice unless you put them side by side, they basically look the same in size.

- The sound quality is considerably better, the volume seems to go a little higher too and im pretty sure my taiko no tatsujin sounded better on my DSi.

- theres a camera on the inside and outside, the quality is good for viewing on the DS, i have a feeling it will look bad if i transfer it to my computer.

- Tons of ways to mess around with pictures, can be interesting for a while.  You can do the same with sound recordings too, can make them sound pretty funny.

- DSi seems to cap sound recordings at 10 seconds, dont know why.  not really a big deal.

- mp3s dont work on the DS, needs to be AAC.  Seems to be standard nowdays though.

I havent got it to connect to the internet yet to check out the download channel, i need to go to a wireless place.  Ill get to that later.  Im gonna sell my DS light when i get home so it wont cost quite so much, but since the exchange rate is so bad it costed me $200 for the DSi.

I dont really recommend it if you already have a DS light yet unless you got some money to burn.  If you want an mp3 player and a camera with your DS you can sell the DS light and get a DSi then it is probably worth it.  Perhaps later there will be some really cool games on the DS channel or some exclusive DSi games (probably not soon then it will be worth it for anyone.

I went to the shop to buy chrono trigger and i ended up getting it.  I was shocked by how cheap it was, only 1000 yen!

Actually i was going to buy it for DS, but it was 4000 yen while the super famicom version was 1000 yen.  I never thought about getting the SF version but there just isnt enough  new stuff for me to spend that much money on it.

questions are welcome.

They still ahve SNES games on sale...? I'm jealous!

Congrats on your DSi. I'll be sticking with my lite though.

johnsobas said:
black and white, thats it.

One thing i noticed was that the part on the back of the DSi that opens and closes the DSi is thicker and shouldnt break easily. That part on my DS light broke and only stays fully opened or closed.

Aww, too bad. I'd have loved to get a green or blue one, but I already own a white Lite. Ah well.

Also, I like the fact that the sound's been improved, I really do. I've always found the DS' sound capabilities somewhat lacking. Same goes for the volume, glad it can go higher. :)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

So its not worth the upgrade you say?

I'm getting one just for the larger screen. How much noticeable is the screen difference? Also you could buy virtual console games in the shop? What consoles do they have on there. Is the region lock only on downloadable software, or is it on both downloadable software and cartridges? I have some games from other regions that is why I ask.

Thanks for the info!

The reason it supports only AAC is because that's the format that's compatible with all the fancy sound-editting tools built into the system.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

no mp3? come on nintendo pay royalties for once >_<

thats beats the use of a portable music player , when the main format it's the mp3.

Isn't it region locked? Can u play ur American games on ur DSi?