By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony slashing jobs, leaving unprofitable businesses

DirtyP2002 said:

Goodbye Sony Ericsson! This one will end for sure.

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

The might sell the movie business, but Spiderman release years has been sony's biggest and most profitable in the past 8 years.  They could fetch a nice price for it...maybe selling to M$...lol...jk.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

ya i agree, sony seems game over.

but it maybe good for sony to leave the game industry and forcus on their stronger area.

ukeatdabian said:
DirtyP2002 said:

ya i agree, sony seems game over.

but it maybe good for sony to leave the game industry and forcus on their stronger area.

I am not saying they should leave gaming!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Gaming IS their strong area. It got them huge profits for 12 years, they've won two generations and made a very successful handheld.

Sony Ericsson will be canned long before SCE. Sell their share to Samsung or something.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

SONY products are usually purchased due to their high brand value and much lesser for their features or performance.In times of economic recession people have to worry bout getting what they can afford. SONY doesnt make the most affordable products. By cutting costs of some products this atleast makes them competitive to the likes of samsung and panasonic. They need to keep sales moving so they can keep production up or else we are looking at less productivity per worker, since they will have bucket loads of inventory lying around. I think the stronger Yen has also done them in. Not many people going for made in japan goods right now...

Doubt SONY pictures is going to be let go. Hollywood has pretty good returns on worldwide tickets and DVD.. Sony ericsson is probably bye bye though, especially with recent models being far from the best... c905, xerpia etc.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

The Samsung brand is the best known South Korean brand in the world and in 2005, Samsung overtook Japanese rival Sony as the world's leading consumer electronics brand and became part of the top twenty global brands overall.[5] It is also the leader in many domestic industries, such as the financial, chemical, retail and entertainment industries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

markers said:
DirtyP2002 said:

how on earth can the thought even cross your mind of sony pictures going under? it has been very very very profitable. sure they may hit some dry spells every couple months with medicore movies but they have huge hits that earn them so much moolah

well I read an article that said they want to focus on the core business. That would have an impact for Sony Ericsson and Sony Pictures.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Now can you say no PS3 pricecut in March? I know they need to spur sales but sales throughout the year are slow anyway, They are best of holding off a price cut so they don't get further in the red then cutting hte price at christmas.

If there is a price cut in March I will be shocked ...

@ukeatdabian
Ofcourse it did, Samsung and Panasonic are brilliant brands. But SONY has always been considered more "upper crust" even when it isnt.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I hope they sacked the marketing department and recruit a new bunch.