By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - And the 5 best selling PS3 games of all time, in Japan, are...

Max King of the Wild said:

Hey repost this on Jan 1st.

(PES '09 is over 200k in it's 2nd week BTW. Breaking '08s sales will be easy at the end of the year.)

To be honest, i don't think those will very different..

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network
Falcon095 said:

(PES '09 is over 200k in it's 2nd week BTW. Breaking '08s sales will be easy at the end of the year.)

I say 400k+ by this time next year

Unless your Nintendo or on the DS your going to have issues in Japan. Just seems to be how it works in there right now.

Falcon095 said:

I say 400k+ by this time next year

Well, yeah.. this time next year (12 months) but you said Jan 1st (1 month)

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

The Anarchyz said:

Simple, Microsoft didn't do much for the 360 in Japan with getting a lot of JRPGs, but it did stop the PS3 for selling more (price is key but not having JRPGs didn't help either)...

Now, in december White Knight Chronicles arrives, the 1st PS3's JRPG, and from Level-5, a company that has earned Japan's respect... This could be the beginning of something...

Nintendo sure needs some 3rd party and more games that appeal to the non-casual, and it's getting some love (Capcom with Monster Hunter 3 especially), but it needs more, because Japan is not the West where the majority of the Wii owners are soccer moms, girlfriends, grandpas, etc. that have it for the casual 5 (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music and Mario Kart Wii which appeals for the 2 groups)...

The bottom line is that J's have the handheld market supersaturated (especially with the DS) and the majority is still playing the PS2, that means that a lot of them are still waiting for the Wii and the PS3 to get better in games library (and the PS3 also in price) then they'll buy it...

i am thinking of final fantasy xii and versus, gran turismo 5 a price cut, and maybe a HD dragon quest.

those 3 in the top will likely by million sellers. and the third we can only dream, but we have white knight chronicles with with same developers quality.

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:

The bottom line is that J's have the handheld market supersaturated (especially with the DS) and the majority is still playing the PS2, that means that a lot of them are still waiting for the Wii and the PS3 to get better in games library (and the PS3 also in price) then they'll buy it...

I think this is sorta true, except that I think its size, not price, that will really make the difference.  Price is meaningful, yes, but small is big... in small places.

Zucas said:
Unless your Nintendo or on the DS your going to have issues in Japan. Just seems to be how it works in there right now.

I'd say the PSP is doing its fair share on software in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Zucas said:

I'd say the PSP is doing its fair share on software in Japan.

Yea this is true.  It ain't doing that bad.  I guess we'll keep it to handhelds and Nintendo.

this shows how bad the ps3 brand is in japan
Ps brand used to huge in that country
Xbox well little by little is getting there

P.S: PS2 best console ever

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

People wonder why the PS3 is under-performing in Japan, that list is why the PS3 is under-performing in Japan.

Sorry, just wanted clarification - they're referring to the games themselves, correct? The fact that Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is #2, Dynasty Warriors is #3-4, and PES 08 is #5, not the sales (or so I thought). If this is the case, PES 09 overtaking 08 won't change anything.

Now... I was going to bring up how strange the list looked, but to my surprise the PS2 looked similar - Hot Shots Golf, PES, and Dynasty Warriors were always extremely popular there. The problem is the lack of GT, Onimusha and Square Enix - that covers the entire PS2 top 26 in Japan. According to VGC, SE games on the PS2 in Japan have spots 1-4, 6, 11, 14. Ouch.

@Jo21: An HD Dragon Quest? DQ is one of Japan's biggest franchises - DQ8 had nearly 80% of its sales coming from Japan alone! I know Square Enix have done some questionable things lately, but I don't think they're that stupid.