By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii for the family

wfz said:

Ah alright, that makes sense. Then how about getting COD5? The Conduit is also coming out next year, but those idiot developers aren't putting in split screen. -_-

I'm definitely keeping a lookout for when Red Steel 2 comes out. I loved the first game and still play it with my friends, but I realize that this game has some problems that would make it not fun at all for many people. Considering that Ubisoft makes the sequel better by taking out the bad but leaving in and putting more of the uniqueness and greatness in the first game, it should be great!

So, you're looking for games that don't have a very steep learning curve, and that you can pick up and easily have fun with right away, right?

I'd take CoD:WaW on my PS3 for the multiplayer (as I actually know people on PSN) and the trophies, but I have no incentive for getting it, I'm not into the Treyarch side of Call of Duty. Are the controls good though? When I get my own Wii, I could pick it up for cheap.

I was excited about Red Steel when I first saw it (motion controls + swordfights = win, back when I didn't know the Wii didn't have 1:1 movement registration), but seeing as it wasn't all that good, I stopped caring. I'll keep my eye on Red Steel 2 though.

Pretty much, except right now I am mainly after something that also has local multiplayer as well, but aside from that. Yes.

Around the Network

For the family:

I see Boom Blox and Rayman have been brought up already.
The masses seem to love Mario & Sonic (not my cup of tea, though). Ditto for Carnival Games.
Have you considered light-gun games? Ghost Squad is cheap, and good fun for 4-player local play.
If everyone has the patience to sit through it, Dokapon Kingdom is one of the best local multi-player games I've played in a long while (but read what it's about first, to see if it's for you).
Quantum of Solace is supposed to be alright (multi-player wise, I mean. Not single-player)

There's more, but I'm trying to limit it to 4-player stuff. If two-player's okay, things open up.

As for what to get yourself...that's a whole 'nother list.

What everyone else said, and Excite Truck.

From my experience, Boom Blox is a fantastic multiplayer game. It allows up to 4 players (and the more the merrier for this one) and multiple types of modes. It's really fun for the whole family.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves is great as well, but you have to unlock the multiplayer by playing for an hour or something like that. The multiplayer itself is mostly multiple players alternating microgames, so it can allow for even more than 4 players to participate.

Mario Kart Wii is another must have multiplayer title. It's easy to learn and tough to master, so while your family can play with ease, the single and online modes allow for deeper and just as fun experiences.

The Rayman Raving Rabbids series is good silly fun. It excells at what it tries to achieve, which happens to be fun shenanigans for brief moments. It's shallow, but it's still a lot of fun to play with others.

Animal Crossing allows up to 4 people to live in the same village. However, there's no split screen, so only one player can play at a time. Still, its something you and your family can get into and, like me, get addicted to.

Happy gaming!

Alright, thanks everyone. I think I'm going to give the family Boom Blox for christmas.
Suggestions for my private collection are still welcome

Around the Network

For 2 player games that are really amazing, really old, and super cheap by now, I highly recommend Excite Truck and Metal Slug Anthology (most bang for your buck ever).

For 4 player games that are amazing, Mario Kart Wii and Brawl. Brawl has an attack button and a special attack button. That's it. There's tons of strategy beyond that, so local multiplayer can last forever, but anybody can pick it up and learn to play really fast. There's also a tutorial video for your parents. Mario Kart's even more parent-friendly though. You have a gas button and then you actually steer.

For party games that would be even more parent-friendly, I'd go with Boom Blox or Mario Party 8 or a Rayman Raving Rabbids game. In RRR, you could take turns for the single player game as you unlock everything, and then it's a really good party game.

Not many people'll recommend this (and maybe for good reason? :), but I think Link's Crossbow training might make for a fun game.

It's not really *designed* for a multi-player experience, but I've had a lot of fun with friends passing the zapper around, round after round.

Gameplay's as simple as can be -- aim and fire (and occassionally move, but you can avoid those levels if you need to .) Lots of fun trying to outdo everyone else and squeeze another few points out of a stage.