By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Walmart to offer tens of thousands of Wiis on Monday

Looks like another stock pile of Wii's are going to be released by Walmart on Monday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE4B608520081207?sp=true

Walmart.com offers "thousands" of Wiis from Monday

By Nicole Maestri

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's Wii has emerged as one of the few hot products this holiday season, and Wal-Mart Stores Inc will offer "tens of thousands" of the hard-to-get video game consoles on its website starting on Monday.

Walmart.com said it will offer the Nintendo Wii console for $249.24, and a "value bundle," which includes the console and other items like an extra set of controllers, for $329, while supplies last.

The Wii has emerged as one of the most sought-after gifts this holiday season, which has otherwise been lamented for a lack of new and hot products.

On Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving which marks the start of holiday shopping, the Wii was the most searched-for product on the Yahoo Shopping site. It was also the most popular product on eBay, with 3,171 of the consoles selling for an average price of $349 that day.

As of Friday night, the Wii console was sold out on Walmart.com, bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com. Bestbuy.com listed the sold-out Wii for $249.99.

Walmart.com also said that it will offer, beginning on Monday, certain Wii video games at a price of two for $30, and certain accessories, like the Nintendo Wii Racing Wheel, starting under $10.

Wal-Mart has been gaining market share and clout in the U.S. recession as cash-strapped shoppers seek out its low prices.

On Thursday, it reported a stronger-than-expected 3.4 percent rise in sales at its U.S. stores open at least a year, after it slashed prices on food and toys to lure shoppers.

Walmart.com spokesman Ravi Jariwala said the online retailer has worked with Nintendo closely throughout the year and seen strong sales of Wii products on its website, helping to secure the latest supply of the popular console.

(Reporting by Nicole Maestri, editing by Matthew Lewis)

Around the Network

1m in "America" confirmed

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Another big week week 4 Wii. How boring.
How many this week WW? Can it beat last week? Without black friday I doubt it but then you never know.

Imthelegend said:
Another big week week 4 Wii. How boring.
How many this week WW? Can it beat last week? Without black friday I doubt it but then you never know.

The question is, how many of them are going to be for supply?

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Wal*Mart: "Wii would like to sell!"

Around the Network

wii will own you

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Has there ever been a console that not only hadn't had a price cut by its 3rd christmas, but also was being resold for above its rrp

Hot Item of the Holiday Season -- 2006, 2007, 2008 ....

This is just plain crazy.

Developers need to realize that there is a market for games for this system. And it would be nice if there were more good games and a variety of games.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

LOL, this is just crazy, It will be a epic holiday for the wii

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Wow, more insane numbers for the Wii this holiday season confirmed! Looks like Nintendo was doing a bit of stockpiling (maybe ;-p )

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"