By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Mario Hardcore? (Help me win an argument please)

who cares what anyone says the mario games are consistently high quality fun games anyone who does not like playing a mario game is not a GAMER

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

You know what's hardcore? Playing Mario even when a bunch of douche nozzles are telling you it's kiddy. Shoot a star bit right in their eye.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Mario is for everyone. Casual gamers and hardcore game will pick it up only the last one will probably put more time in it and finish the game with Liugi and Mario. No one wins the bet of you and your friends..

sorry man but if it makes "tilling" sound when you pick up an item, you pick up flowers to fire and sounds "boing" when you jump it is a kiddy game. That is not a bad thing, i think. Only mario RPG was not really a kids game.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Your online acquaintances are silly. I never much cared for the term when related to the actual games themselves, but rather how you play them, whether it be raiding in WoW or doing time trials in Mario.

Around the Network

For anyone who actually calls themselves 'hardcore,' no, because Mario games don't provide a rush of sex, aggression, or domination hormones. Worse still, kids enjoy it and the content is actually suitable for them, and so playing it can make you seem less masculine to other self-described "hardcore gamers".

For pretty much everyone else, on the other hand, Mario is most certainly a core franchise.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

it is made for everyone, therefore it is casual. just because parts are hard and "hardcore" gamers like it doesn't mean it's not casual.

its an extremely well made casual game.

the terms hardcore and casual are too polarizing, but they serve a purpose. they essentially determine how involved someone has to be in the game for someone from any group. it has no determination on the quality or the depth of gameplay or difficulty or anything of the sort. a well made game has no bearing on whether its casual or hardcore.

the problem has come with the flood of casual games recently. before you could make a good casual game and it would be loved, ie singstar, 3d marios, guitar hero (yes, the beloved guitar hero and rock band are very casual). but with the flood of casual games came the flood of bad casual games and thus an association of casual games being bad.

in conclusion a bad game can be either hardcore or casual, a good game can be hardcore or casual, a casual game can be good or bad, and a harcore game can be good or bad. only the game itself determines this.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

adamantium said:

Hi there.

This is my first post on here, even though I visit the site often.  I'm currently embroiled in an online discussion with some narrow minded individuals regarding Mario.

I am trying to argue that Mario is still classed as a game suitable for the hardcore crowd, but I keep getting beaten down with the 'Mario is only for kids' argument.

I'm wondering if any of you can assist me in my argument.

Is Mario still relevant as a hardcore game?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Here's the truth: only immature children would think that "Mario is only for kids."

A truly mature and intelligent video game player will understand how wonderful Mario is, and will hold to that no matter what their friends say or think.

Hope that helps. :)

Fist my definition:
Hardcore = You have to play it for DAYS to be good enough to pass the stages
Casual = You can play it a little and enjoy the game without have to master all your padawan skills first.

So, for me, the NES Marios was hardcores, than it become a bit more easy and better. So Mario Galaxy isn't hardcore, and I prefer it that way. Hardcore games like Tetris, Zack and Wiki, MMOs or No More Heroes are a pain in the ass when you can't figure out how to do some think difficult or how to kill a vicious boss or make 5000 lines and break you brothers record...

www.cuidar.com.br

@radha

Mario RPG still had the tiling sound and boing.

Video games.... are games guy, games are not what adults do, here's a course very short and sweet.

Kids - Go to school, play in activities, do homework, play some more, go to bed.
Adults- Coffee, work, parenting/sexual relationship, sleep.

But games are good, for adults also, so mix games in there, be it baseball or virtual baseball adults do play games also, but kids play baseball also, hmmm... quite a dilema, seems like games are for everyone... hmm.

I don't think I made my point very clear.

FPS's aren't mature that's all, they are a game, being out in a war and taking heavy fire for your country isn't mature, its stupidity using the couragous to take a step in the wrong direction. Taking care of your children, raising a child to the honest best of your ability going to work every morning to make sure your family is financially safe is Mature.

Playing a MMORPG with women with big tits and big strong guys with huge biceps isn't Mature, its a game.

The standards are perceptive in definition but one thing is certain, games based on content aren't mature, Victorian standards and theocratic idums of society wanted an ESRB because of another agenda all together.

It's just a case of the wrong word used to describe something.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D