By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF 1-4, which versions best to play?

twesterm said:
As long as you aren't playing the PS versions, they're all good. I would say for FF and FF2 go with the PSP. For FFIII and FFIV go with the DS versions.

How are they bad...? I have them.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Is FF III any good for DS? I haven't heard that many good things about it, but probably just because it hasn't aged too well. FF IV I have to get eventually. How long's the main story/optional stuff?

You are not an RPG gamer until you have played FFIV.

Begone!

So, DS versions(remakes) of FF3 & FF4 also > GBA versions, right?
i mean, here too i won`t be missing anything, if i won`t play GBA ports, and will start from DS remakes?

They are practically identical? Story, gameplay? Only the graphics (3d vs 2d) and some additional dungeons/bosses in DS remakes?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I would say:

get FF I & II Dawn of souls (GBA)
and FF III DS
and FF IV DS

all 3 rocked..I have to say..FF I and II really got me into FF
III perfected the entire game mechanics from I and IV did the same for 2, only in the world of FF I and II

CrazzyMan said:
So, DS versions(remakes) of FF3 & FF4 also > GBA versions, right?
i mean, here too i won`t be missing anything, if i won`t play GBA ports, and will start from DS remakes?

They are practically identical? Story, gameplay? Only the graphics (3d vs 2d) and some additional dungeons/bosses in DS remakes?

The DS remake of FFIV has a completely retranslated script and the key scenes are fully voice acted. It's excellent in English.

There's content in the GBA version that's not in the DS version, but it's not related to the plot. There's extra plot content in the DS version, so in that respect you're better off getting the DS version.

Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything worthwhile.

Yes, they are basically identical, but the DS version is longer, harder, and has more gameplay options.

Around the Network

The original FF1 was a really big pain in the ass, random encounters frequently killed you in dungeons and level grinding was extremely boring. FF2,3 were never released in the US till later so picking up the PSP and DS versions would probably be your best bet. For FF4 personally I'd choose the Snes version but a lot of people seem to like the new DS release.

So, DS remakes of FF3 & FF4 as i can see are clear winners.

So, then FF I & II Dawn of souls (GBA) or FF I & II Anniversary Edition (PSP) - which are practically identical?

@Khuutra, i assume, you played both GBA and DS versions of FF3 & FF4, right? Then DS remakes fot the best experience. =)

@flagship, why FF4 snes?

p.s. i have somewhere FF1 & FF2 PSone discs.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

All the FF games will be around 40 to 60 hours, but a good 40 to 60 hours, and FFIV on the DS adds things to the story that wasn't in the other remakes. FFIV GBA has an extra dungeon but it's really no big deal.

The reason the PS1 versions were bad was because of VERY slow load times, some errors at times (at least with FFIV in my experience), and bad translations, the newer translations (GBA, PSP and DS) are much MUCH better, and are great cause they're on the go.

But there's no real order to play them in unless you want order of greatness then it would be FFIV, FFII, FFI, and then FFIII, IMHO.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 2 on PSP you have to buy separately while on GBA they come together on one game and you don't have to spend that much on it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Xen said:
twesterm said:
As long as you aren't playing the PS versions, they're all good. I would say for FF and FF2 go with the PSP. For FFIII and FFIV go with the DS versions.

How are they bad...? I have them.

If I remember correctly they had terrible load times (though yeah, not as bad as the FF Anthlogies and FF Chronicles).