By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 release date announced + q and a regarding preview build

lol thats realy boring however cant wait to try it.hope for a demo

Around the Network

@ NJ5

No double standards in that regard, I actually said the same thing with regard to 360 launch games tapping ~85% of total CPU resources then as I say with regard to Killzone 2's tapping of 60% SPE resources now.

Before this I thought games like Kameo were only using 1 full core while having the operating system run on another (so at least 1 space core). Then when I saw the documents I could develop a more educated opinion. (I was more into Cell than Xenon for obvious reasons)

Only difference was that PS3 launch games like Genji 2, although this game looked better than various other launch games used 0% of SPE resources. I created a thread about this a long time ago, trying to point this out to people and the enormous gains we could anticipate in the future for games like Killzone 2 (better graphics in many different regards, more things on screen, better physics, etc, etc).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB: The double-standard is when you conclude the opposite for the 360 and PS3 from similar starting points. "Not a lot of headroom" vs "even more headroom" shows your quite different levels of optimism for the two consoles.

However, I think this thread has already been derailed enough without me pointing out for a fourth time why your statements show a double standard, so I think we should stop here.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ NJ5

You are wrong, I also said there was more headroom than that remaining 15% with regard to 360 games as well back then.

But that was back then, now it's over 3 years after the 360's release (a relatively easy platform to develop for). 2 years from now when PS3 games are tapping over 85% of available SPE cycles, I will also say there's performance wise only a little more to gain.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I don't know if games like Killzone 2 will in fact make 3rd party developers try harder or not.  Don't forget that Guerilla have had an unprecedented amount of time and cash to make Killzone 2 how it looks today.  3rd party developers don't have the money or time to put the same level into their games.

What we should expect over the course of the next few years is for those developers to create their own PS3-specific engines that utilise the SPU's more hence making the games identical on both the 360 and PS3.

One other longterm problem is this!  It's pretty obvious that so far, the PS3 is showing it can do more on-screen than the 360 and over the next year or two, 1st party games for the PS3 will look better than 3rd party games and 1st party games for the 360 (unless 360 developers somehow manage to get a huge increase in performance from their engines that they've not previously had).  So technically, the PS3, through it's 1st party titles will move ahead of the 360 and will infact leave a fair number of the 3rd party titles behind.

Will PS3 owners start ignoring standard run of the mill 3rd party games while the 1st party are so much better and will 360 owners start moving towards the PS3?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

@ davygee

I think 3rd party games will soon be better on the PS3 or equal (now it's also near equal in most cases).

I also think the bigger the technical gap gets between 1st party and 3rd party releases and the more top quality 1st party games out there, the more 3rd parties will be pushed to try to keep up.

PS3 vs 360 sales

3rd Party developers had better start pulling their weight around easter otherwise they could make the PS3 look bad with their slightly worse graphics.

NJ5 said:

Unless a lot of those CPU cycles are wasted due to lazy and wasteful coding (who knows, maybe they made the game in Java... j/k). You could easily admit that possibility since it was an early title.

All I'm saying is let's have a little consistency in these debates. As George Carlin says:

"Let's not have a double standard here, one standard will do just fine."

rofl. heh. wow.

OT: Awesome. KZ2 is looking really good.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

uncharted uses 30 per cent of spus in 2007 (looks amazing)
killzone 2 uses 60 per cent of spus in 2009 (looks amazing)
uncharted 2 uses ?? er cent of spus in 2009? (will look stunning!)

headshot91 said:
uncharted uses 30 per cent of spus in 2007 (looks amazing)
killzone 2 uses 60 per cent of spus in 2009 (looks amazing)
uncharted 2 uses ?? er cent of spus in 2009? (will look stunning!)

god of war 3 uses ?.... Will Look GODLIKE ! :D

Check out my game about moles ^