By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Public Ban Announcements

VonShigsy said:

A wall of shame won't contribute anything to this site but constant flaming. Banned people might even log in under a different alias to ask for unbanning their account or to bash on mods. It's better to PM a mod if someone has a question, or to go with Stof suggestion..

Gballzack was in my friend list too. Her posts were well-thinked, and she could carry a good arguement. The problem was that she used a lot of masked insults and blattant trolling to spite some users (Like kber81 or ckmlb, now a mod, that didn't went good for her LoL.) But maybe she was banned for being a transexual? She changed her sex so many times in accounts even Nip/Tuck would not take her for a client.

@VonShigsy:

Try "it" when describing "its" gender.

@thread:

Do nothing. If trolls are desperate attention whores who only crave attention, well:

Gballzack

Ackmed Tepish

LeroyBrown

Maverick Hunter Z

Xbox Soldier

Lamia98 is getting exactly what it wants with all your comments (and mine).

I don't know what is more pathetic: That blatantly obvious Sony trolls get banned and return with new accounts on a predominantly pro-Nintendo forum,  or that a pro-Nintendo nutcase gets banned far more times, and lasts far shorter, than any Sony troll - on a predominantly pro-Nintendo forum. 

It reminds me of those nasty air bubbles that get trapped in car stickers. You try and you try to squeeze the air out of the bubble to make the sticker nice and smooth again, but no matter how hard you press that bubble simply moves to another place on the sticker and you never really remove it.

That's what's going to happen to these forums without an IP ban or some method to reliably track users. Habitual trolls like the aforementioned can act as asinine and insulting as they want while everyone else behaves in a nice and civil manner - although frequently it's because the users want to keep their usernames and not because they genuinely desire to be nice and civil - which makes the forum rules unfair to regulars and utterly irrelevant to trolls.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:

You could create the thread and lock it, then mods can edit it when needed and nobody is able to complain.

I definitely see the problem with letting trolls have a hangout but I also see the merit in knowing why people are banned.

I also liked the idea of editing the posts, but it could still be hard to find the post that they were banned for.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking of in the first place.  I didn't mean let's make a thread that everyone can piss and moan in, but banning should still be public record, and yes, moderators should be held accountable.  I'm not trying to handcuff you guys with red tape, I mean how long does it take to type "duplicate Gballzack account"?

I'm really surprised at the amount of "hate" for this idea.  I moderate another public forum with hundreds of active users and would not even consider banning someone without telling the community why.  If you can't reasonably justify a ban, the ban probably isn't warranted.

FishyJoe said:
ckmlb said:
Banned Xbox soldier 12 and lamia 9 as they were new Gballzack accounts, the problem is he keeps making them...

Banned Playstation 3 owner earlier this week cause he was constantly trolling.

I find this very disturbing as there have been other banned users creating new accounts and trolling, yet no action taken.

Lets face it, Gball po'ed the mods so much its 'its' fault that they dont give 'it' any more chances.

ckmlb said:
Banned Xbox soldier 12 and lamia 9 as they were new Gballzack accounts, the problem is he keeps making them...

Um... lamia (9? 98?) is NOT banned - you can still look up that user account in the search, which means that account hasn't been banned YET.

Entroper said:
Sqrl said:

You could create the thread and lock it, then mods can edit it when needed and nobody is able to complain.

I definitely see the problem with letting trolls have a hangout but I also see the merit in knowing why people are banned.

I also liked the idea of editing the posts, but it could still be hard to find the post that they were banned for.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking of in the first place.  I didn't mean let's make a thread that everyone can piss and moan in, but banning should still be public record, and yes, moderators should be held accountable.  I'm not trying to handcuff you guys with red tape, I mean how long does it take to type "duplicate Gballzack account"?

I'm really surprised at the amount of "hate" for this idea.  I moderate another public forum with hundreds of active users and would not even consider banning someone without telling the community why.  If you can't reasonably justify a ban, the ban probably isn't warranted.

i totally agree with you Entroper, good business sense - promoting transparency and setting standards.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Around the Network

I say no to information about why a person is banned.  It's none of our business and I think it will do more harm then good. also who will mod the bans and do the write up for everyone.  So No to reason on bans!

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

your mother said:
VonShigsy said:

A wall of shame won't contribute anything to this site but constant flaming. Banned people might even log in under a different alias to ask for unbanning their account or to bash on mods. It's better to PM a mod if someone has a question, or to go with Stof suggestion..

Gballzack was in my friend list too. Her posts were well-thinked, and she could carry a good arguement. The problem was that she used a lot of masked insults and blattant trolling to spite some users (Like kber81 or ckmlb, now a mod, that didn't went good for her LoL.) But maybe she was banned for being a transexual? She changed her sex so many times in accounts even Nip/Tuck would not take her for a client.

@VonShigsy:

Try "it" when describing "its" gender.

@thread:

Do nothing. If trolls are desperate attention whores who only crave attention, well:

Gballzack

Ackmed Tepish

LeroyBrown

Maverick Hunter Z

Xbox Soldier

Lamia98 is getting exactly what it wants with all your comments (and mine).

I don't know what is more pathetic: That blatantly obvious Sony trolls get banned and return with new accounts on a predominantly pro-Nintendo forum, or that a pro-Nintendo nutcase gets banned far more times, and lasts far shorter, than any Sony troll - on a predominantly pro-Nintendo forum.

It reminds me of those nasty air bubbles that get trapped in car stickers. You try and you try to squeeze the air out of the bubble to make the sticker nice and smooth again, but no matter how hard you press that bubble simply moves to another place on the sticker and you never really remove it.

That's what's going to happen to these forums without an IP ban or some method to reliably track users. Habitual trolls like the aforementioned can act as asinine and insulting as they want while everyone else behaves in a nice and civil manner - although frequently it's because the users want to keep their usernames and not because they genuinely desire to be nice and civil - which makes the forum rules unfair to regulars and utterly irrelevant to trolls.

Agree 100%. If there are going to be rules regarding conduct, they should be applied equally. Unfortunately, the rules don't seem to be applied equally.

I think it would really be a good idea to write a short reason for the ban next to the username.

Recently, I found out that Soriku is banned and I wondered what for. He has been making new topics all the time, so I thought that could be the reason. I have looked up some of his posts put I couldn't figure out the reason, so I let it be, but it still interests me.

And on another note, a good amount of users have become mods recently, and a more transparent system would be good because all the mods are drawing the line somewhere else I think (which is human) and therefore it'd be good to see why someone was banned. It's not like in the old days when basically ben and stof did all the banning and you know for what they give out bans and for what not.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

ckmlb said:

So it was you. So much for PS3 onwer calling Ben all sort of nasty names. He even made the name of the new account based on his "sympathy" for Ben.

Maybe a reason for the ban is not bad, that way trolls can see that bans are not based on mods bias toward a system. Everyone knew that PS3 onwer was being an ass. Your ban proves that, even though he is a fellow PS3 fan, he was pushing it a little too far.

I was upset at Soriku threads and posts from the beginning, he had it coming. Good thing that most VGC users agree on the definition of troll.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I think a 'wall of shame' is a very bad idea, and other users being able to post on a thread about bans would be even worse.

The only way I see this working is if when someone gets banned, there is a generic expaination for the ban posted in their profile (trolling, flaming, spamming, etc) and the violating post is highlighted. That would allow those that are curious to look without having a specific 'banned info' thread to post on, and would serve as a good example of the types of posts that attract a ban.

This could be done automatically through the website- when a mod bans someone, they check one of several description boxes on why the ban happened and the website automatically posts that to the users profile and highlights the post the ban was generated from. The information would then automatically disappear when the ban is lifted. That would keep the mods from having to do any paperwork, would satisfy people's curiosities, and would maybe cut down on some bans, since people would be able to see examples of what not to post.