By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS3 is the new DS

Mummelmann said:
So, basically, 2008 was the PS3's peak year? I get it now, makes sense.

The DS had weak third party support in the beginning of its life.  That picked up dramaticlly, and has led to stronger sales.

SaviorX's question is: Do you think the same will happen for the PS3?

The PS3 has already had strong third party support, and I don't see any dramatic increase in third party support coming in the future.  If the PS3 has stronger sales next year, it won't be because of anything third parties did.  It would probably come from a price cut by Sony.  That is why I think the DS is a bad comparison.

The Wii is much more likely to follow the pattern that happened with the DS.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Mummelmann said:

The DS had weak third party support in the beginning of its life.  That picked up dramaticlly, had has led to stronger sales.

The PS3 has already had strong third party support, and I don't see any dramatic increase in third party support coming in the future.  If the PS3 has stronger sales next year, it won't be because of anything third parties did.  It would probably come from a price cut by Sony.  That is why I think the DS is a bad comparison.

I'm glad that at least 3 out of 30 people tried to actually read what I said. I mentioned that the PS3 rise would be nowhere near as high as the DS, but will similar circumstances occur, where support/sales increase going into the new year and beyond.

Some people these days.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
theRepublic said:
Mummelmann said:

The DS had weak third party support in the beginning of its life.  That picked up dramaticlly, had has led to stronger sales.

I'm glad that at least 3 out of 30 people tried to actually read what I said. I mentioned that the PS3 rise would be nowhere near as high as the DS, but will similar circumstances occur, where support/sales increase going into the new year and beyond.

Some people these days.......

As others have said, the answer is no.  Putting aside the fact that the DS really revolutionized how games can be played, it was by far the market leader even when it had virtually no third-party support.  Hence, the PS3 is nothing like 'the new DS', and why, if anything, the Wii is 'the new DS' as it's seeing nearly identical circumstances.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
deathcape said:
stubborn Staude? XDD PS3 won't make it to DS sales as is...never

and the PS3 is in now way innovative..don't kid yourself into thinking it because of fanboyism

if the ps3 isn't innovative then neither is the wii. I think i'm not the one of us who seems to be struck by fanboism here. Why don't you get a ps3 and then we can talk like we have even knowledge on the subject.

Check out my game about moles ^

well Staude...

you're missing the point entirely
the PS3 is not innovative at all it copied the Wii with motion sensing and badly too
the sixaxis is not innovative..it's just a natural evolution of control input

the Wiimote and Nunchuck are different, since they are used as the main principle
and completely reinvent how to play games..that is innovative

what else would you like to mention..I can't see anything on the PS3 as REvolutionary..or innovative

only things that are EVolutionary.. and if you don't believe me..you could always look at sales..

the DS though..is also innovative in how you play the games..the screens COULD be used to compliment the regular controls, but are often used as their OWN controls scheme..

again..REvolutionary..so..innovative..reinventing the wheel

not saying the PS3 blows or anything..just that it's not innovative

Around the Network

Exactly.

Sorry Straude, I have a PS3 and there is nothing innovative about it (except for Blu-Ray disc)

Wiimote > Siaxis

Achievements > Trophies

Xbox Live > PSN

Removable batteries > Internal batteries

Put a disc and Play > Install, wait... and then play

Dualshock is old, bad ergonomics.

My Gaming Setup

If the PS3 was ever going to be life the DS, LBP would have been huge.

c wut i did thar?

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

That's a bad comparison to make, and the PS3 will never see the sales the ds is seeing.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Staude said:

The ps3 is atleast as innovative as the wii, probably more.

No.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

NintendoMan said:
That's a bad comparison to make, and the PS3 will never see the sales the ds is seeing.

He never said that.  He asked if PS3 sales would increase due to increased third party support.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)