By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony:we are 300,000 units ahead of X360 in Europe

TheSource said:

Guys Sony and Microsoft aren't contradicting each other. Here is how they define regions in this generation:

Sony:

PAL: Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia outside Japan

Japan: Japan

Microsoft:

EMEA: Europe, Middle East, Africa (they specifically referred to it as EMEA)

Asia: Japan + small markets in Asia (Korea, Phillipines, Hong Kong, India, etc)

This should have ended the thread 10 replies ago.

Around the Network

Very GOOD.
As i said before, more data comes, more accurate numbers will be on VGC. =)
PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Kasz216 said:
Groucho said:
Kasz216 said:
Groucho said:

Stores can typically return defective merchandise to the manufacturer, but they have to have a good reason (i.e. it has to actually be defective).  All the consoles are not supposed to be returned to the retailers at all, for this same reason (they don't like to rely upon the retailers evaluation of "defective").

Retail is about risk.  If it was all effectively consignment, retail would be basically a risk-free form of generating income, and everyone and their dog would sell consoles.  Usually the same thing applies to video games, DVDs, and music -- as a matter of fact, this is why the vast majority (if not all) of retailers will not allow you to return a game or DVD, except in exchange for another exact copy (then they return the one you brought back as "defective").  If retailers (like Target, Wal-mart, etc.) could simply return games to the manufacturer, without them being defective, you'd never see clearance items.  Ever.

If you're returning non-defective games and DVDs, you're almost assuredly breaking your contract with the manufacturer who sold you the item in the first place.  Usually a proof of purchase (and return) by a consumer is sufficient claim for an items "defective" status, from the manufacturer's viewpoint, even if its not actually defective.  Its not usually worth the time to check, in the case of games.  For consoles, it is worth the time... thus consumer returns are not supposed to go through retailers.

Well if we're breaking the contract boy do they not care since we send back craploads of it.

We just send it back with the invoice number it was listed on... often times 90% of what we purchased and they refund the money.

Wow.  Where do you work, because I want in on a franchise. =)  I used to work in large-scale retail, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works.  Do you work in a small private business, or a big publicly traded one?

In any case, I think your situation is "unusual", to say the least.  It kinda sounds like you work in the kind of private operation where they likely try to refuse credit card transactions below a certain amount (say $5 USD) as well.  ;)  (this is also breaking a contract, with the credit card company, btw)

I work at a College store... we sell all sorts of electronics and such though... and it's fairly big.

No credit card transaction limits or anything. 

I mean they know for a fact that the merchandise isn't damaged or defective because we have a totally different return process for that.

College retailers often have strange (and awesome) deals.  You can purchase all sorts of spendy software and hardware while you are a student for dirt cheap -- manufacturers like to hook college kids on their products early, so they usually give colleges some pretty cool deals.

I'm pretty surprised at the media returns though.  No regular retail outlet I know of can do that.  I would wager that means that your store never has to have clearances on software either (like Lost Odyssey, which I scored at Target for $15 in the clearance bin the other day.  If Target could have returned it, for the ~$30 they paid for it, you can believe they would have).

disolitude said:
JGarret said:
disolitude, when do you think NA sees the price cut?

Im hoping with Killzone 2...if it turns out to be as good as it looks :)

But knowing sony, they are after $$$ not marketshare...so they may want die hards to spend cash on ps3s for killzone 2 and then when that dies down have a price cut. Maybe even wait till September.

all 3 companies are after money the most.

Lolz 300,000 units ahead. That means 360 will pass them before christmas. It will be interesting to see how the PS3 sells next year at $400 with the continued economic recession. I for one cannot see SONY not dropping the price because they really need sales at this point

Long Live SHIO!

Around the Network
1337 Gamer said:
Lolz 300,000 units ahead. That means 360 will pass them before christmas. It will be interesting to see how the PS3 sells next year at $400 with the continued economic recession. I for one cannot see SONY not dropping the price because they really need sales at this point

they need money more. and no it doesn't mean they'll be passed by christmas. If these numbers are right (which I'm assuming we are assuming they are since you stated thy'll be passed) it means vgchartz have overtracked the 360 a whole bunch. which means weekly sales would be smaller than it has been.

On top of that 360 has been released in Europe for 3 years while Ps3 has been for 1 and a half year. So Ps3 already surpassed it. It's actually sad if the 360 needs to reclaim 2nd being out twice as long.

Groucho said:
Kasz216 said:
Groucho said:
Kasz216 said:
Groucho said:

Stores can typically return defective merchandise to the manufacturer, but they have to have a good reason (i.e. it has to actually be defective).  All the consoles are not supposed to be returned to the retailers at all, for this same reason (they don't like to rely upon the retailers evaluation of "defective").

Retail is about risk.  If it was all effectively consignment, retail would be basically a risk-free form of generating income, and everyone and their dog would sell consoles.  Usually the same thing applies to video games, DVDs, and music -- as a matter of fact, this is why the vast majority (if not all) of retailers will not allow you to return a game or DVD, except in exchange for another exact copy (then they return the one you brought back as "defective").  If retailers (like Target, Wal-mart, etc.) could simply return games to the manufacturer, without them being defective, you'd never see clearance items.  Ever.

If you're returning non-defective games and DVDs, you're almost assuredly breaking your contract with the manufacturer who sold you the item in the first place.  Usually a proof of purchase (and return) by a consumer is sufficient claim for an items "defective" status, from the manufacturer's viewpoint, even if its not actually defective.  Its not usually worth the time to check, in the case of games.  For consoles, it is worth the time... thus consumer returns are not supposed to go through retailers.

Well if we're breaking the contract boy do they not care since we send back craploads of it.

We just send it back with the invoice number it was listed on... often times 90% of what we purchased and they refund the money.

Wow.  Where do you work, because I want in on a franchise. =)  I used to work in large-scale retail, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works.  Do you work in a small private business, or a big publicly traded one?

In any case, I think your situation is "unusual", to say the least.  It kinda sounds like you work in the kind of private operation where they likely try to refuse credit card transactions below a certain amount (say $5 USD) as well.  ;)  (this is also breaking a contract, with the credit card company, btw)

I work at a College store... we sell all sorts of electronics and such though... and it's fairly big.

No credit card transaction limits or anything. 

I mean they know for a fact that the merchandise isn't damaged or defective because we have a totally different return process for that.

College retailers often have strange (and awesome) deals.  You can purchase all sorts of spendy software and hardware while you are a student for dirt cheap -- manufacturers like to hook college kids on their products early, so they usually give colleges some pretty cool deals.

I'm pretty surprised at the media returns though.  No regular retail outlet I know of can do that.  I would wager that means that your store never has to have clearances on software either (like Lost Odyssey, which I scored at Target for $15 in the clearance bin the other day.  If Target could have returned it, for the ~$30 they paid for it, you can believe they would have).

We don't have to but we do anyway.  Whenever a product is discontinued we can get a credit and sell it at the discount.

We just did it with the Adobe stuff.  They switched over to CS4 but we kept some of the more expensive CS3's and sold them at a discount.

Guess college stores are just really lucky or something.

lol David Reeves is as accurate as vgchartz.........

If you aren't playing B3YOND, you're playing behind

Playstation 3: It Only Does Everything

SCEA said:
lol David Reeves is as accurate as vgchartz.........

The day one of the Big Three execs uses vgchartz numbers in a PR statement gaf will explode.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

He also says that the PS3 is tracking where the PS2 was. So lets not put too much faith in what he says