By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't Ps3:s AAA games sell like Xbox 360:s?

I bet 10€ that someone says "legs".

But when you just look at great AAA titles on Ps3 this year,against Xbox 360:s few AAA titles,they are just low as hell.

If we talk about exclusives,

PS3 has had Metal Gear Solid 4 (sold great), Resistance 2(yea europe I know),LittleBigPlanet (most hyped game of year),Motorstorm 2 (Motorstorm 1 one of best selling Ps3 game),Valkyria Crhonicles (great reviews and hype and great game),Bioshock (I know,old port),Eternal Sonata (was second most hyped game,old port as well)

Vs Xbox 360:s Ninja Gaiden 2,Fable 2,Gears of war 2.

Xbox 360 with Ninja Gaiden 2 at 0,81m (not that great),Gears of war 2 already at 3,31m,Fable 2 at 1,81m.

So why does Xbox 360:s games sell like hell in first few weeks,while Ps3:games won't sell what we thought or sales come for bundles or well they have those "legs".

Userbase?Maybe,because Ps3 is also blu-ray player.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

Strikes me as odd as well. It comes across as if 1) PS3 owners don't game that much 2) they don't have the cash 3) they don't know about the game...

I can't figure out either why the PS3 now DOES manage to stay ahead of the xbox in japan, with all the games that have come out there for the xbox and its price, while the price and the games have surged the xbox clear of the ps3 in europe and in the US

From what I have seen, most 360 games don't have much as far as legs. The sales are pretty front loaded. There are two main reasons I see as being the difference:

1. Microsoft knows their 360 owners better than Sony knows their PS3 owners. Sony is not creating the types of games their owners want, while Microsoft does.

2. Sony has lost it's touch in marketing. In fact Sony has been going downhill in marketing ever since the PSP released. I don't know what has gotten into them. Microsoft has very effectively marketed their console and the games for it. They now market all games with the ending "Xbox 360. Now starting at $199". Simple and effective. When is the last time you saw Sony media blitz a game the way Microsoft blitzed Halo 3 and Gears of War?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The attach rate for PS3 is good for its lifetime (same as 2yo X360) so I don't thing there is anything to do with blu-ray.

I agree that Sony doesnt make the games its customers want.

I think most people who bought PS3 to play games have bought it with old Playstation franchises in mind: Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo. Sales of MGS4 pretty much proved that.

But instead Sony spams PS3 with new IPs its cutomers dont care about. They might be good games, but they are not the games people have bought a PS3 for.

Around the Network

US/EU: (360 software sells more than PS3 software)

1. Bad Marketing (Gamers don't know what games are coming out for the PS3)
2. Blu-Ray Player instead of gaming console
3. Install base (although the software gap should not be that big, which makes me believe more in reason 1 and 2)

Japan: (PS3 software sells more than 360 software)

1. Nihon-jin are loyal to their home products...
2. Nihon-jin love Blu-Ray in everything...
3. Nihon-jin game companies still support Sony more than MS (except Square Enix)...

??? Extracting generalized statements from three examples is bullshit esp. if these three examples are inconclusive.

Gears is the successor to one of the most successful games of this gen.
Fable2 did also very well but after its amazing first week it was more in line with its predecessor.
Ninja Gaiden did bad.
Too Human did bad.
Banjo flopped hard.

On the PS3 site:
MGS4 had a huge brandname and did amazingly well.
Resistance2 did ok but not really good.
LBP did good but not as the hype made us expect.
Haze flopped
Motorstorm flopped.

I would say its pretty even.

arms!

What'd I win?!

Kyros said:
??? Extracting generalized statements from three examples is bullshit esp. if these three examples are inconclusive.

Gears is the successor to one of the most successful games of this gen.
Fable2 did also very well but after its amazing first week it was more in line with its predecessor.
Ninja Gaiden did bad.
Too Human did bad.
Banjo flopped hard.

On the PS3 site:
MGS4 had a huge brandname and did amazingly well.
Resistance2 did ok but not really good.
LBP did good but not as the hype made us expect.
Haze flopped
Motorstorm flopped.

I would say its pretty even.

You are missing the point..

And well how come Gears 1 did so great?

Take my love, take my land..

Maybe due to:

- a fair amount of people who bought PS3s use it mainly as a Blu-Ray player.

- marketing not as good as it was during last generation

Of course, there´s no way for me to know if the former is 100% true, but I do believe it is, at least to an extent.

As for the latter, we all know MS has been far more agressive in marketing, and Sony was a lot better a few years ago.