By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the 360 reach 20 million in America before the PS3 reachs 10 million?

Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:
I don't see major games like Killzone 2 doing any better then the other major games like Resistance FoM 2 or SOCOM. They may sell decent to PS3 owners, but I doubt it will drive someone to buy a PS3 to play it.

If the 360 outsells the PS3 by over 2-1 this holiday, I'd expect to start seeing 3rd party PS3 cancellations.

ookay? they'll ignore 42% of the HD console base...very unlikely with current dev costs. You're implying that games like cod6 will skip the ps3? Yeah right.

No, big name games are safe.

But PS3 ports of games like Ace Combat, Left4Dead, Bioshock 2, Last Remnant might not be.

The Xbox got most of the PS2s big 3rd party games, but missed a lot of the smaller named games. I see the PS3 moving in that direction.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

PS3 will hit 10m first

Tyrannical said:
Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:
I don't see major games like Killzone 2 doing any better then the other major games like Resistance FoM 2 or SOCOM. They may sell decent to PS3 owners, but I doubt it will drive someone to buy a PS3 to play it.

If the 360 outsells the PS3 by over 2-1 this holiday, I'd expect to start seeing 3rd party PS3 cancellations.

ookay? they'll ignore 42% of the HD console base...very unlikely with current dev costs. You're implying that games like cod6 will skip the ps3? Yeah right.

But PS3 ports of games like Ace Combat, Left4Dead, Bioshock 2, Last Remnant might not be.

The Xbox got most of the PS2s big 3rd party games, but missed a lot of the smaller named games. I see the PS3 moving in that direction.

I think you really don't know what you are talking about...

Tyrannical said:
Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:

I agree with you now lol, not because the 360 will have a massive lead over the PS3 but because devs will see there is little to gain from ports, just look at Bioshock ...

Tough question. My gut will tell me that the PS3 will win out in THIS race. Even if the 360 continues to outsell the PS3 after the holiday season, I can't see it being by enough of a margin to make up for the deficit.

BUT ..... if the PS3 is made out to be the big loser to the general public, it could POSSIBLY become popular opinion and thus affect public perception of the console. So its possible that sales in early 2009 could drop off big time for the PS3 (see 360 in early 2008).

Again ... I'm leaning to the PS3 side, but its definitely not a stretch to think the 360 could pull it off.

LOL, threads like this (which I know I'm contributing too) show that we've run out of subjects.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:

I think you really don't know what you are talking about...

Over 9000 posts and almost $2000 in the hole. How many ban fines have you had to pay?

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
Pristine20 said:
Tyrannical said:

Not sure about your theory but it might work out.  I can imagine that some games, say Deadspace, might have actually benefitted by being exclusives in that they probably would have been hyped more heavily and you might have gotten MS or Sony to advertise them.  This again is assuming that a good game without a lot of hype went exclusive which is probably a small group of games. 

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

I don't think so. But it will be close.

@seece: BioShock was a port of a 14-month old game. BioShock 2's first trailer was released on the PS3, and if that doesn't mean it will be a same day release, I don't know what does.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think we should wait and see how much the gap is after the holidays.

easily