By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The wii is popular. Waaaaaayyyy too popular.

I like seeing Wii Fit ads in Times Square ;)

I think it's normal to see Wii stuff announced everywhere. It was the number 1 this Black Friday.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network

Yeah but the PS2 actually had..........on second thought, lets not go there. ;)

Welcome back to 1988. I'm just waiting for the resurgence of a Nintendo pop culture phenomenon. Last time it was based around Mario and (to a lesser extent) Zelda. This time it looks like it'll be Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Wii is number one because it has captured the casuals and child markets. The HD consoles are aimed towards teenage boys and young adult males aka hardcore gamer market.

@numonex, dude that is just a weak damn excuse. Don't you think casuals snapped up the PS2? of course they did with that many sold.

I ask this question, would you sacrifice your current position, namely PS3's, if in turn it meant massive profits, a greater variety of games and (unfortunately) alot of crap ones too. The only problem i see with the Wii is that developers are being frustrated by processing capabilities and that will be dealt with in time. With 50% market share there will be tons of developers more interested.

Don't answer, in a years time the answer will be quite obvious.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Where amazing happens.

megaman79 said:
@numonex, dude that is just a weak damn excuse. Don't you think casuals snapped up the PS2? of course they did with that many sold.

I ask this question, would you sacrifice your current position, namely PS3's, if in turn it meant massive profits, a greater variety of games and (unfortunately) alot of crap ones too. The only problem i see with the Wii is that developers are being frustrated by processing capabilities and that will be dealt with in time. With 50% market share there will be tons of developers more interested.

PS2 had both casual and core games and gamers and was the ultimate console. Wii will never be PS2 because the market is split. Core gamers aren't magically going to migrate to a Nintendo console in this day and age. The casual/hardcore ratio on the Wii is heavily favoring casuals.

megaman79 said:

not necessarily, as you need to consider who makes up that market share.

The notion that "3rd party games" (of the hardcore nature) don't sell on the Wii still exists, whether it is true does not matter to some.

Also, there is a certain point where technical ambition comes to play. Yeah, maybe I can make a few more bucks on the Wii, but with the 360/PS3 I can make the tears of the hostage go at 60 FPS in 1080p.

Insomniac said:
megaman79 said:

PS2 had both casual and core games and gamers and was the ultimate console. Wii will never be PS2 because the market is split. Core gamers aren't magically going to migrate to a Nintendo console in this day and age. The casual/hardcore ratio on the Wii is heavily favoring casuals.

where have you based this statistic?  if its out of your butt, then way to go!

Wii isn't too popular. Its fueling Nintendo's bank account for Wii2/DS2. I hope the Wii knocks the PS2 of its perch.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions