By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the DS pass the Psx/Ps2?

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:
First half of 2010, I figure.

I thought the Wii was selling faster, though, with aligned launches.

The Wii is the fastest selling system from launch. 

As it is unlikely that Nintendo will up Wiis production again (unlikely is a bit strong though, but it may not happen), and DS' top year is higher than the max prediction, it is likely to stay the fastest selling through the generation too.

The DS' total sales are likely to be higher than the Wii's.

I'll agree with you on that, Oyvoy. Even though Wii is selling really fast right now, I don't think it has the room to grow that the DS had. I cannot see the Wii outselling the DS lifetime, even if it might come close.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
konnichiwa said:
Ok I understand that you enjoy that DS will sell more than the consoles your not fan of PS and PS2 but why no mention about the Gameboy?

Huh? I like the Ps2 and Ps1. Ps2 is an awesome console, and has tons of games I really like. I prefer the GC to it, but the Ps2 is still awesome.

The Ps1 opened the industry, and I like it for that. Games wise though, I don't really have any relationship to it.

I didn't include the GB as I really think it is 2 systems (GB, GBC), and that VGChartz is wrong in combining them. The DS has already passed all Nintendo machines, so including them would be odd.

I thus took the two best selling systems, and asked when the DS would pass them.

I think you may have the impression that I don't like any of the PS systems, as I generally say that the Ps3 will sell alot less than most people expect. Still, I myself have been overshooting the Ps3 up to now, so I don't really think that is a valid point...

does that make vgchartz wrong for combining DSi?

It's a tough predicament... but I think DSi still counts as DS.

Really it's down to the games.... there will be very few games that are DSi-only, probably less than X360 games that won't work without a hard-drive (although obviously it's possible to upgrade Arcade units) The GameBoy colour had loads of games made exclusively for it, and those that also ran on GB were more like putting two versions of the same game (one in BnW) on the cartridge

PS2 and PS1 were "home" consoles i.e you only have ONE in your house. The DS is a handheld. Everyone in the family can have one. That's a much greater potential for sales so if it's as great as the ps2, it should outsell it by almost 2x

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

axumblade said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
konnichiwa said:
Ok I understand that you enjoy that DS will sell more than the consoles your not fan of PS and PS2 but why no mention about the Gameboy?

Huh? I like the Ps2 and Ps1. Ps2 is an awesome console, and has tons of games I really like. I prefer the GC to it, but the Ps2 is still awesome.

The Ps1 opened the industry, and I like it for that. Games wise though, I don't really have any relationship to it.

I didn't include the GB as I really think it is 2 systems (GB, GBC), and that VGChartz is wrong in combining them. The DS has already passed all Nintendo machines, so including them would be odd.

I thus took the two best selling systems, and asked when the DS would pass them.

I think you may have the impression that I don't like any of the PS systems, as I generally say that the Ps3 will sell alot less than most people expect. Still, I myself have been overshooting the Ps3 up to now, so I don't really think that is a valid point...

I wouldn't say so.

GBC was an entirely new GB. It had lots of exclusive games, and it was better in pretty much every single way. It was the Gameboy 2.0.

If DSi shows to be like that, maybe. If the new DS doesn't come out before in 2013, with no new DS upgrade (ala DSL to DSi), and DSL dies off in 2009, then DSi will become something totally new.

I still think very many of the GBC buyers were also GB owners (ala, over 50%), if it proves to be like that for DSi too, maybe.

But I don't believe any of that will happen, so I believe the DSi is more of a GBA Micro (or one of those, I never really paid attention).

To say it short:
DSi is a new SKU of the DS. GBC was an entirely new GB, but it left the GB with some frontwards compability. The answer to you question is no.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
axumblade said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
konnichiwa said:

I wouldn't say so.

GBC was an entirely new GB. It had lots of exclusive games, and it was better in pretty much every single way. It was the Gameboy 2.0.

If DSi shows to be like that, maybe. If the new DS doesn't come out before in 2013, with no new DS upgrade (ala DSL to DSi), and DSL dies off in 2009, then DSi will become something totally new.

Huh? I don't get this statement. The DSi surely isn't a totally new machine. If the PSP 2000 stops selling will you consider the 3000 model something totally new as well?

Look, there is a camera for DS Lite (included with Eye Training) so there are absolutely no "DSi" games that can't be played on the DS Lite - in fact "DSi" games mostly refers to the downloadable games... but that hardly makes it a system of its own.

I somewhat agree with Gameboy and Gameboy Colour, though. Well, to some extend: There were still tons of games you could play on both systems... maybe we should add half the GBC sales to the sales of the original Gameboy or something :p

Around the Network
Louie said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
axumblade said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
konnichiwa said:

I wouldn't say so.

Huh? I don't get this statement. The DSi surely isn't a totally new machine. If the PSP 2000 stops selling will you consider the 3000 model something totally new as well?

Look, there is a camera for DS Lite (included with Eye Training) so there are absolutely no "DSi" games that can't be played on the DS Lite - in fact "DSi" games mostly refers to the downloadable games... but that hardly makes it a system of its own.

I somewhat agree with Gameboy and Gameboy Colour, though. Well, to some extend: There were still tons of games you could play on both systems... maybe we should add half the GBC sales to the sales of the original Gameboy or something :p

I don't get that statement either  I don't know what I tried  to say there -  it doesn't even make sense (as you pointed out).

depends on how well the DSI sells in america and in Europe.
if they sell anywhere near as well as the DSLite than 2010 seams realistic

hello how are you.

Not the ps2, but it should pass the psx

mM
leo-j said:
Not the ps2, but it should pass the psx

I guess you are talking about for 2009 only.

Anyway, my view on it.

Passing the Psx is piece of cake. It is at 102.5M.

The DS is currently at 89M (well, 88.95M).

For the end of 08, it would be at 96M, if it sold as much as in 07.

It looks like it will sell more though. There are 5 weeks, and for the breakdown in 07, it is like this.

Americas: 2852K = 570K

Japan: 1200K = 240K

Others: 2911K = 582K

Now normally, I wouldn't add that weekly, as it is holiday, and some weeks are spiked. I have them now, because I am proving a point.

DS sold 780K last week in Others. It is for the year so far up 50%, and it looks like this should stick during the holidays. ~ 4250K is a solid bet for Others. 4-4.5M

In Americas, DS is up 20% YoY. Not a lot, and the YoY increase has been slowing down lately. The DS also had an extraordinary holiday last year, so putting this toghether, I think 2.75-3.25M is the range, so ~ 3M.

DS is down 50% in Japan. Still, if you look at sales since November (when DSi launched in 08), it is actually up. Obviously, this is flawed due to the launch boost, but it is still up.

Another thing worth noting about Japan is that Nintendo esimated 1.2-1.5M for DSi. It has sold ~ 430K now, and 70K DSL (VGC time), so it should have 800K-1.1M sales kicking from DSi, along with a possible 150-250K DSL. So I'd say it seems probable that Japan should manage to sell as much as it did in 07. So ~ 1.1-1.3M

Overall, this means I expect DS to be at ~ 97.5M by the end of the year. This means that DS sold ~ 33-34M for 2008.

Now you may wonder why I bothered doing the totals for 2008, when it is rather 2009 that is interesting. Case is, whether DS sold 29M or 33.5M for 2008 is very relevant for the further prediction.

Next year, DSi is launched in Others. As sales of DSL will obviously drop a bit (DS is in its 5th year after all), I think that DSi might even out that drop off. It is also very likely that DSL will see a price drop late 09, meaning that DSL should also get a sales boost. Overall, I see no reason that the DS should sell any less than 16-18M in Others for 2009 (it is likely to have sold 18M in 08). That is even being a shy lower than I really think.

For Americas, it could get a small drop. It is only up 20% YoY (50% Others), and with the recession comming in, it isn't sure the DSi will do that great. Still, if DSi doesn't replace DSL, we are still likely to see a price drop sometimes late in 09, and that could mean some increased DSL prices. Overall, pretty tough to tell, considering that DSi might not be a success due to the possible recession. So a bit bigger range here, 9-13M (~ 11.5-12M for 08).

Japan is actually going to see a YoY increase in 09! Who would have thought a console would see a bigger year in its 4th or 5th year than the previous, huh? Oh wait? The PsP did that this year... Okay, anyway. DS has been really stale this year. DSi and a certain price cut for DSL (here it might come early on) should press sales up a lot. I'm guessing somewhere in between of 07 and 08, but closer to 08, so ~ 5-6M (4.5M 08, 7.5M 07).

So overall I expect a very low drop, with DS selling 31-34M next year, with it being pretty much exactly as big as in 08. So I see the DS being at 127-130M by the end of 09.

As for Ps2, it is seeing only a 15-25% drop from 07 to 08 (9.8M to ~ 8-8.25M). Still, with the 360 being at as low a price as it is now, I could see it having a larger drop next year, more ala 35-40%. So This means I see it at ~ 124.25-124.5M for end of 08, and slightly below 130M (but probably above 129M) for end of 09.

So, I predict that DS will pass Ps2 in December 2009 or January 2010.

PSx yes no PS2...

PS2 is still selling.