By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray: A 2008 Holiday Hit?

"

PriceGrabber.com says sales of the high-def disc player are booming.
Washington, D.C. (December 2, 2008) -- Newspapers across the nation reported over the weekend that many Black Friday shoppers purchased sub $200 Blu-ray players. Some publications called the high-def disc player one of the hottest items on consumers' shopping lists.

"Flatscreen TVs, Blu-Ray players, vacuum cleaners and toys were selling fast at a Wal-Mart store at Fairfax, Va," Money/CNN reported Friday. One newspaper said a $128 Magnavox Blu-ray player was sold out by 9:30 a.m. at another Wal-Mart.

But now two new reports have emerged that could give substance to the speculation that the 2008 holiday season could be a turning point for the high-def disc.

First, the National Retail Federation reported Monday that Blu-ray players were among the top-selling items during Black Friday weekend.

And today, PriceGrabber.com said that the Blu-ray player was the third hottest item during Black Friday weekend, trailing only "women's boots" and watches. The site, which monitors online shopping prices and trends, says online sales of Blu-ray players rose 147 percent compared to last year.

In addition, Sony's BDP-S350 was the third most popular product on Black Friday, PriceGrabber.com reported, trailing only Nintendo's Wii and the Ugg Australia 'Classic Short' boot."

http://www.tvpredictions.com/blu120208.htm

Around the Network

lol @ vacuum cleaners. I suppose they make an awesome gift, but I wouldn't dare get one as a gift for my wife. I value my skin far too much for that.

Go Blu-Ray!

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Go useless Blue-Ray!

(Shhh...., not so loud)

Remember, Blu-ray was supposed to fall over dead this quarter.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Yeah blu ray will definitly have a nice holiday! In belgium, we see more and more of them in stores. It will take time, but it will be pretty popular in a few months!

Around the Network

I sure hope it is as I just bought a Sony player (PS3) for $313.31.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Sephiroth357 said:
Go useless Blue-Ray!

Useless? What does that even mean?

I think that the price needs to be that low if they are to succeed.

Aj_habfan said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Go useless Blue-Ray!

Useless? What does that even mean?

I think that the price needs to be that low if they are to succeed.

I think that was sarcasm.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

obviously one of the most sold black friday, on top of the regular blue ray players, computers sold with built in blue ray players and laptops sold with built in blue ray players and almost 400k ps3 sold......i am not suprised....i have 2 blue ray players and i had no intention of buying one. One in my ps3 and one in my laptop.

Bluray is kicking. I was even able to find bluray disks with Russian recently released movies here in Siberia. And Russian market is always has slow reaction for such stuff.

Play my LittleBigLove level: search keywords "LittleBigLove realil"

LJ (Russian): http://realill.livejournal.com