By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did the Gamecube do so poorly? (with respect to sales)

scottie said:
Esa-Petteri said:
mrstickball said:

Lets see:

• Kiddie console with tons of Nintendo games (lack of 3rd party support)
  • Worst console design in the past ~10+ years
  • Bad brand image (N64 had ruined what they had during the NES/SNES years)
  • Lack of core audience (audience was either kids, or hardcore Nintendo users) - Sony had already begun to gather the core audiences, and Microsoft was comitted to get the hardcore/PC users

The problem with their marketing was that they were indeed targeting younger kids - and had no games that anyone that was a teen, or SWM would give a care about, outside of an N-fanatic.

Are you talking about wii or gamecube? :O I really don't see any difference between last nintendo consoles. Other than the amount of shovelware that is.

Objection, relevance?

That those reasons aren't really that good explanations why GC did poorly.. :P

Around the Network
Esa-Petteri said:
mrstickball said:

Lets see:

• Lack of core audience (audience was either kids, or hardcore Nintendo users) - Sony had already begun to gather the core audiences, and Microsoft was comitted to get the hardcore/PC users

The problem with their marketing was that they were indeed targeting younger kids - and had no games that anyone that was a teen, or SWM would give a care about, outside of an N-fanatic.

Are you talking about wii or gamecube? :O I really don't see any difference between last nintendo consoles. Other than the amount of shovelware that is.

There are a few differeces between the Wii and GC that make a world of difference:

• GC design was atrocious (Purple lunchbox? WTF?) versus a sleek, elegant iPod-esque Wii
  • Kiddie Console (marketed almost entirely to the kids that have no $$$) as opposed to marketed to casual adults with plenty of cash
  • Better brand image - the DS went a long way of helping repair the Wii's image, IMO, since it's had far more games centered to adults & has had great 3rd party support.

The Wii still lacks the solid core-centric 3rd party titles, which is why the PS3/X360 have had userbases well above what the GC/Xbox did, but otherwise, Nintendo has done a much better job this time of going after marketshare aggressively.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

jkimball said:
HappySqurriel said:

In my opinion, the problems that resulted in poor sales for the Gamecube were:

1. Sony released their console 18 months (in europe, 12 months elsewhere) later than the360
  2. Sony wasn't particularly agressive with their first party line-up at the start.
  3. Sony didn't attract much (exclusive) third party support. initially, and was unable to prevent the loss of third party support later in the generation?
  4. The PS3 is distinct in the market (bluray), but as far as games go there is little reason to own a PS3 in addition to (or instead of) a Wii or XBox 360
  5. Sony didn't define the PS3 to consumers, and Microsoft and Nintendo were able to define the system as being "Overpriced" and "uncool" in consumers' minds.

Wow 1-4 sound like you are talking about the PS3 vs x360 this time around. Of course PS3 will be lucky to make 21M!

Wow You're right ..

For most gamers like myself, Gamecube was a niche system. I personally owned two (purple and platinum). I bought GC to run Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil. PS2's library however, was overwhelming and it is till this day. In the end, software is what counts.

mrstickball said:
Esa-Petteri said:
mrstickball said:

Lets see:

There are a few differeces between the Wii and GC that make a world of difference:

• GC design was atrocious (Purple lunchbox? WTF?) versus a sleek, elegant iPod-esque Wii
  • Kiddie Console (marketed almost entirely to the kids that have no $$$) as opposed to marketed to casual adults with plenty of cash
  • Better brand image - the DS went a long way of helping repair the Wii's image, IMO, since it's had far more games centered to adults & has had great 3rd party support.

The Wii still lacks the solid core-centric 3rd party titles, which is why the PS3/X360 have had userbases well above what the GC/Xbox did, but otherwise, Nintendo has done a much better job this time of going after marketshare aggressively.

Ok, that purple GC was horrible. I own a black GC and it is not that bad. I just don't see wii as any better when it comes to design. And that goes for 360 too..

I was thinking home consoles only, so you have a good point with DS. :p

Around the Network

Bad image and very stupid commercials, especially at the beginning.

I think the designs of the GC and its controller were both brilliant, but they gave more fuel to the "kids-only" argument that the haters at the time were using.

Putting a handle on the console hurts it how? It makes it easy to pick up and take to a friend's house. That is convenient and awesome. As a person who would hook up 2 TVs and 2 GameCubes for 8 player Mario Kart: Double Dash parties, I can't stress enough how awesome that lunchbox handle was.

The controller's design of having one giant green A button that would be the primary action in every video game was brilliant. I could get my mom (or anybody) to play Mario Kart with that controller. You just say "The big fat green button is the go button." This giant fat A button has been passed down to the Wii and it's still working wonders.

I can see how people would think the handle and the fat A button look stupid, but I still think they're both very helpful choices in Nintendo's earlier attempts to expand the gaming market. Those attempts failed, and their new attempts are succeeding because Nintendo learns from both their successes and their failures.

seece said:
jkimball said:
HappySqurriel said:

In my opinion, the problems that resulted in poor sales for the Gamecube were:

1. Sony released their console 18 months (in europe, 12 months elsewhere) later than the360
  2. Sony wasn't particularly agressive with their first party line-up at the start.
  3. Sony didn't attract much (exclusive) third party support. initially, and was unable to prevent the loss of third party support later in the generation?
  4. The PS3 is distinct in the market (bluray), but as far as games go there is little reason to own a PS3 in addition to (or instead of) a Wii or XBox 360
  5. Sony didn't define the PS3 to consumers, and Microsoft and Nintendo were able to define the system as being "Overpriced" and "uncool" in consumers' minds.

Wow 1-4 sound like you are talking about the PS3 vs x360 this time around. Of course PS3 will be lucky to make 21M!

Wow You're right ..

Very nice. Same thoughts here.

Because it was a purple launchbox (thanks matt247) with the ugliest design ever and had no third-party support?

KylieDog said:
Tecmo said:

Hi everyone:

I was just wondering why the Gamecube sold so poorly.

Ignorance.

PS brand loyalty was strong at the time.  PS2 was outselling Dreamcast when PS2 had crap like Fantavision and DC had many amazing games, so by time GC was release and PS2 had actually got a few good games, the GC didn't have much hope.

Third part support (ie games) had little to do with it, DC had amazing games, people didn't care, following console name instead.

A shame really, DC was great, and GC was the greatest console ever.  Because it had REmake on it.

Stop right there!

Your in violation of code 12345335433.