By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do You Think The 360's Sales Explosion Has Extended Its Life?

I do, had the 360 just had an average Cmas, I think MS would have started to get the gears in motion for the new console in 2 years minimum.

I think this Cmas has added AT least 1 year to the life of the 360. Now think about that, and remember that when someone says "why worry about sales, just play the games"

I think the 360 will have a full 6 year life cycle at the least before the next console is released.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

They will sell it 1 day longer then PS3.

i think it has. although either way i think it'd be longer than two years. this gen i expect to last till holiday season of 2012/2013. i think this momentum shift in microsoft's favor, especially if they can hold it past christmas, could lead to a 2013 launch of their new hardware rather than 2012. with sony and nintendo launching in probably 2013 also.

also if microsoft can hold this momentum into next year they could have their 4th year be bigger than their third year which would break the trend of third years being the biggest just like ds is doing. although thats not really saying much since the 360 has sold pretty poorly up until this fall.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

edit: Interesting blank post...

Anyway, I think MS has had a strategic plan for entry into this market and the original XBOX was the "initial phase" of that plan.  That is what led to it's truncated existence...

Therefore I don't know, even if with slacking sales, MS would have rushed into the huge capital investment that a new hardware launch would entail.

-General_Ram- said:
They will sell it 1 day longer then PS3.

+1

... pun?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

No I don't think it has extended the 360's life. I still think the 360's successor will launch in 2011 to 2012. Which is what Peter Moore all but confirmed when he was running MS.

Darc Requiem said:
No I don't think it has extended the 360's life. I still think the 360's successor will launch in 2011 to 2012. Which is what Peter Moore all but confirmed when he was running MS.

Link please?

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Pricewise the 360 will always have the upperhand vs PS3.  Knowing that Sony has lost billions they will probably extend the generation as long as possible unless Sony pulls an Xbox and abandons the PS3 early.

amirnetz said:
Darc Requiem said:

Link please?

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/12/egm-moore-on-360-and-its-successor/

Nah, it's still coming 2011.

This is just good fodder for the fanboys.