By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Apple suggests Mac users to install antivirus software

NiKKoM said:
a12331 said:
Senlis said:
The benefit of owning a Mac really lies with it's stability. Since MacOS runs on Mac hardware, it is ideal for things such as video and picture editing.

Perhaps Mac is not more secure than Windows. However, if you really wanted security, you should go for Linux. Each OS has it's strenths and weaknesses.

Windows: Wide support base
Mac: Stability
Linux: Security

I dont get why people say this no offense, but you can make a more powerful system with windows and it can do those tasks much faster, also macs do crash a lot. Windows mainly crash because of bad third party software. 

`well I'm a graphic & motion designer so I can answer that for you:

2 things: 1. Final Cut Pro isn't available on windows.. & second:

The major printing companies (You know for pressing books, magazines)  are using postscript:

PostScript (PS) is a dynamically typed concatenative programming language created by John Warnock and Charles Geschke in 1982. PostScript is best known for its use as a page description language in the electronic and desktop publishing areas.

And in windows.. the postscript really sucks... most the time with fonts.. it gives to many errors..

So it's not the strenght of the machine but rather the final product what is made on the machine.... We want the best possible end product.. so we use a mac.. it delivers a better end product..

HTen that answers my question thank you

Around the Network
goddog said:
from what i can remember apple has always recommended this.... however speaking as an cert. apple tech.... do not use norton it mangles osx.

Uhmm I believe that is a universal rule for Norton just don't install Norton it mangles your system for no good reason.

goddog said:
a12331 said:
Senlis said:
The benefit of owning a Mac really lies with it's stability. Since MacOS runs on Mac hardware, it is ideal for things such as video and picture editing.

Perhaps Mac is not more secure than Windows. However, if you really wanted security, you should go for Linux. Each OS has it's strenths and weaknesses.

I dont get why people say this no offense, but you can make a more powerful system with windows and it can do those tasks much faster, also macs do crash a lot. Windows mainly crash because of bad third party software. 

id argue with all of your points, ive always been able to reneder video faster on macs (especially durring the powerpc era) or have photoshop work better.  from primer to avid its always faster.... and final cut is exclusive, and fun... i find it better then avid, and primer, though with recent changes in primer (well not recent anymore) it has become better

as for constant crashing, sounds like a hard drive problem, normally that or someone mangled the libraries.

as for windows, ture if it wasnt for 3rd parites it wouldnt crash as much, but what good is the OS without them... unless you just want word processing powers.

In my experience with Vista, I found that true crashes hardly happen.  First, it corrects problems, it may temporarly freeze but rarely crashes.  When it does crash, the restoration features are great in Windows Vista.  Crashes and Virus may be less likely to occur in a Macs, but they tend to be catostrophic to your work when the do happen.  (I use Macs at school, because there's a free color printer in the Mac lab and some other neat gadgets; they crash all the time.  Not saying my PC doesn't but it's less often.)

Also, if a PC is built right it will run circles around any Macs available.  PC's suffer from inconsistency but an informed buyer can get more for their money.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

redspear said:
goddog said:
from what i can remember apple has always recommended this.... however speaking as an cert. apple tech.... do not use norton it mangles osx.

Uhmm I believe that is a universal rule for Norton just don't install Norton it mangles your system for no good reason.

maybe they should advertise it as a feature 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
a12331 said:
Senlis said:

id argue with all of your points, ive always been able to reneder video faster on macs (especially durring the powerpc era) or have photoshop work better.  from primer to avid its always faster.... and final cut is exclusive, and fun... i find it better then avid, and primer, though with recent changes in primer (well not recent anymore) it has become better

as for constant crashing, sounds like a hard drive problem, normally that or someone mangled the libraries.

as for windows, ture if it wasnt for 3rd parites it wouldnt crash as much, but what good is the OS without them... unless you just want word processing powers.

I see your point and you make a fine one but i have a question what about the hardware nowadays(quad cores, i7), because windows can run off all of them, unlike macs. 

The third party, I was talking about  the software that are made poorly, the ones that are not made by big software makers. 

Around the Network
steven787 said:
goddog said:
a12331 said:
Senlis said:

In my experience with Vista, I found that true crashes hardly happen.  First, it corrects problems, it may temporarly freeze but rarely crashes.  When it does crash, the restoration features are great in Windows Vista.  Crashes and Virus may be less likely to occur in a Macs, but they tend to be catostrophic to your work when the do happen.  (I use Macs at school, because there's a free color printer in the Mac lab and some other neat gadgets; they crash all the time.  Not saying my PC doesn't but it's less often.)

Also, if a PC is built right it will run circles around any Macs available.  PC's suffer from inconsistency but an informed buyer can get more for their money.

the fastest xp/vista laptop was the macbook pro, as featured in pc magazine 8-9 months ago (im pretty sure of the time frame, but may be off).

also in your lab i bet your dealling with networked macs, with launcher sys apps that track what you do... those things kill macs, most of them are written rather poorly. also i bet your using  word on mac which is also written poorly,  most universities ive visited the macs are very poorly maintained, I remember when i was at UTK, they had never been updated after being installed.. i did a dumb thing and worked around the protocalls to update them, but they were much better after that

well its the easiest operating system to hack.

EDIT: bullshit, i find hard to believe macbooks are faster than overclocked alienwares. and gamming pcs.

and as now vista is more secure than mac OS, slower YEs, but more secure.

hardest to hack system is ubuntu and linux counterparts.

As for the PC is more expensive than Mac's myth, here is an article you should read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html

It isn't that macs cost more than PC, but rather Macintosh does not make cheap computers.  The only make mid to high range computers.

@ a12331

A lot of people have the misconception that Macs and Linux are invulnerable to viruses.  However, viruses have been made for both.  Experience will tell us that no operating system is perfect

@ Anarchyz

I remember hearing about that contest.  It is interesting, but doesn't really mean anything.  When they hacked the Mac system, they probably took advantage of a certain security vulnerability they new of.   Also, one contest does not establish a trend.  I am not necessarily saying you are wrong, but it is not enough to establish that Macintosh is easy to hack.

@ NiKKoM

Thanks for re-inforcing my point.  Since I do not deal with video and picture editing, I cannot explain why Mac is so good at it, just that most professionals use it.

As for the stability issue, I should narrow down what an operating system is.  An operating system is a program that interfaces with the hardware and provides a platform for applications to run on.  It also regulates the processing time for applications.  Therefore, applications locking up or crashing is often not the fault of the operating system, but rather the fault of  the application designer.  Also, I don't care if a certain application doesn't work very well right now or that a certain glitch exists.  I am looking at Mac vs Win vs Linux as a trend, not at a particular point in time.

Since interfacing with the hardware is such an important job for a Mac, it makes since that it would work better.  All Mac computers are built by Macintosh (the individual parts may not be).  The drivers are made by Macintosh.  The operating system is made by Macintosh.  It all works in harmony.  In Windows, you can have automatic updates install a Windows driver for a non-windows product and suddenly your computer won't boot windows.

In conclusion, each operating system is good for certain uses.  That is why when I work at the computer shop, I have three tech machines: one running Vista, one running Ubuntu, and one running MacOSX.

a12331 said:
goddog said:
a12331 said:
Senlis said:

I see your point and you make a fine one but i have a question what about the hardware nowadays(quad cores, i7), because windows can run off all of them, unlike macs. 

The third party, I was talking about  the software that are made poorly, the ones that are not made by big software makers. 

since the rise of x86 mac, apple has tired to control what the os runs on. however, you can with help of a great comunity use almost any hardware you want to build a new box. the most powerful system apple sells is the powermac, which is  a bad ass work station, but it does need a refresh, as the ram could eb speed up, it needs a new controller chip, and updated versions of the cpus, and gpus, but that is normal for a mac close to refresh. 

Jo21 said:

well its the easiest operating system to hack.

EDIT: bullshit, i find hard to believe macbooks are faster than overclocked alienwares. and gamming pcs.

and as now vista is more secure than mac OS, slower YEs, but more secure.

hardest to hack system is ubuntu and linux counterparts.

found it, though its a year and change old, not 9 months.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in_pictures_the_most_notable_notebooks_of_2007.html

Fastest: Apple MacBook Pro

The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

and it was pcworld, not pcmag...