By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony stepping up the plate in 2009

Why do these threads always remind me of two scorpions in a bottle stinging each other to death? -_-;

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
RPG said:

Remember this?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50108

Uncharted 2 has been announced and see absolutely no reason why other other things mentioned in that article cannot be true. This means motorstorm and LBP for PSP, Uncharted 2, GOW 3 looking amazing and most importantly for sales the price cut is coming. So with that it's prediction time, how do you think the price cut will affect sales? I think it entirely depends on this size of the price cut, £50 will give a very nice jump but £100 is going to really test the 360. The latter seems very unlikely but a price cut is a price cut, with the great software also coming for PSP and PS3 Sony look to be fighting with all there might. With the PSP also getting all that Square Enix love that should also start shifting software, shame on anyone who pirates PSP games. -_-

Yes I admit I am one of those people that believe that when the PS3 drops $100 the 360 will not stand a chance, so many reasons I think why that will be the case but not going to bother delving into that.

It took EIGHT YEARS for the $300 PS2 to drop to $100. How many more years do you think it'll take the $400 PS3 to hit your magical price point? Do you think anyone will even be paying attention at that point?

misterd said:
RPG said:

Remember this?

Uncharted 2 has been announced and see absolutely no reason why other other things mentioned in that article cannot be true. This means motorstorm and LBP for PSP, Uncharted 2, GOW 3 looking amazing and most importantly for sales the price cut is coming. So with that it's prediction time, how do you think the price cut will affect sales? I think it entirely depends on this size of the price cut, £50 will give a very nice jump but £100 is going to really test the 360. The latter seems very unlikely but a price cut is a price cut, with the great software also coming for PSP and PS3 Sony look to be fighting with all there might. With the PSP also getting all that Square Enix love that should also start shifting software, shame on anyone who pirates PSP games. -_-

Yes I admit I am one of those people that believe that when the PS3 drops $100 the 360 will not stand a chance, so many reasons I think why that will be the case but not going to bother delving into that.

It took EIGHT YEARS for the $300 PS2 to drop to $100. How many more years do you think it'll take the $400 PS3 to hit your magical price point? Do you think anyone will even be paying attention at that point?

PS2 was like the Wii, sold so awesome is just did not need a price cut. The console needs to drop another $100 and after that no matter what happens Sony should stick with that price as well that is great value for your money. With the software added to that price I have no doubt the PS3 will rake in huge numbers.

1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007 were all years of the pig but u dont c the pigs rising above rabbits. lol

RPG said:
misterd said:
RPG said:

Remember this?

PS2 was like the Wii, sold so awesome is just did not need a price cut. The console needs to drop another $100 and after that no matter what happens Sony should stick with that price as well that is great value for your money. With the software added to that price I have no doubt the PS3 will rake in huge numbers.

Sorry - my error. I misread "drops $100" as "drops to $100". Slight difference there.

I don't know if just $100 will do it (to $300/400) - it may need to go even lower, especially with sub $200 BR players on the market next year, and likely another 360 drop before the holidays.

As long as Sony can keep 3rd parties on board (and it should, as the 360 ain't running away with them), there should be no reason it can't have a bit of a comeback before the next gen hits. I still am not sure that it will best 360 sales prior to 2011, but at this point a strong finish is more important so Sony can salvage its rep for the next generation.

Around the Network

I'd be more impressed if we hadn't heard this same line in 2008... and 2007, for that matter.

In fact, there were nearly identical threads on this subject last year. You might want to look at this list on all the PS3 exclusives that were going to come out in 2008 and turn things around. Half of them were delayed/canceled, and the other half did little to move hardware...

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10762

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Neoraf said:

The momentum is in Microsoft Hands.

When Sony will cut the prices... do you believe Microsoft will sit and stare?
Microsoft will probably cut another 100$ on Elites, and will replace Arcade by the Pro(60gb) at 199$.

Xbox Live is the online service of choice.
A true social phenomenon.

With all the big 2009 games for Microsoft (Mass Effect 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Star Ocean 4, Halo3 ODST, GTA4 Lost and Damned, Ninja Blade, name it...), I don't know how Sony can gain ground...

MS already stated they won't be lowering the Price again, anytime soon.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Halo is a beast, add this one is at budget price it will sell very well but come on, Killzone 2 is going to sell very nicely to say the least. The thing Sony are doing next year compared to this year is releasing games for established franchises:

GT5 which MS has no anser to, please dont say Forza as the sales just dont compare

As I said GT4 sold double Forza 2's numbers mostly because of Europe. The number could shrink a bit, but GT will still sell better

FFXIII in Japan...nuff said  

The other two big markets don't count?

Killzone 2 - Hype alone will have this game sell millions

Wasn't the same thing said about Resistance 2? 

GOW 3 - Nuff said

GOW2  sold over 2 million copies and is a great game. Then again so did Mass Effect the same year only 8 months later on a smaller install base. Other games can sell just as well as God of War

Heavy Rain - I dont think that one has to sell huge numbers, dont think it cost a bundle to make

Think it will sell a bit 

Uncharted 2 - Should sell a million easily, first did 2 million after all

Agreed, and my favorite PS3 franchise

MAG - meh but it is a Zipper Interactive game, add SOCOM to the title and bang you have yourself a million seller

Halo Wars, Splinter Cell, Star Ocean will probably hit a million also if they are good as we think they will

Just looking at the numbers here. Both systems look matched to have great software sales in 09

"MS already stated they won't be lowering the Price again, anytime soon"

That was MS Europe. Then again they always deny price drops

misterd said:
RPG said:
misterd said:
RPG said:

Remember this?

Sorry - my error. I misread "drops $100" as "drops to $100". Slight difference there.

I don't know if just $100 will do it (to $300/400) - it may need to go even lower, especially with sub $200 BR players on the market next year, and likely another 360 drop before the holidays.

As long as Sony can keep 3rd parties on board (and it should, as the 360 ain't running away with them), there should be no reason it can't have a bit of a comeback before the next gen hits. I still am not sure that it will best 360 sales prior to 2011, but at this point a strong finish is more important so Sony can salvage its rep for the next generation.

What has helped Sony a LOT is nothing other then first party devs which they have. If they did not have them imagine the situation which the PS3 would be in now, would be completely ruined. Sony continue to get 3rd party support where exclusives are very rare yet have over 15 internal studios to churn out exclusives for them.

Gotta say it though, so many people call the PS3 a failure this generation yet the console has sold 17 million while the 360 has sold 8 million more after being releases a year longer. The future just looks bright for PS3 IMO, they can still do so much with exclusives and price.