By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix 08 sales Down 75%

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
Rei said:
Thanks for ignoring my post guys! Still, I dont get it how supporting the PS3 would change the situation for Square-Enix this year. So if anybody cares to explain - please do.

I think it's related to the "Ignore-The-Wii" syndrome.

It's moreso if SE wasn't so busy accepting payments for exclusive games, they would maybe be more inclined to make games on the Wii and PS3. 

I mean, what idiotic company would make games on the lowest selling home console than the mid and high selling home consoles?  Who would choose exclusivity of a bomba console in Japan over ones that actually sell if large sums of money weren't involved.  If they didn't take MS's money, we'd have some Wii and PS3 games, that would have sold better than 95k easily.

SE and the Japanese developers have all said it again and again.. they can no longer survive by concetrating on one market (Japan)

So I'm guessing those "idiotic companies" are looking at global sales....  and by your logic any western 3rd party developers releasing PS3 exclusives are idiotic...

@ Others bitching about the lack of PS3 Exclusives

Ah.. suck it!  The Japanese market isn't big enough to support a PS3 exclusive and its in a distant third place in global sales.. get over it and move on. For all your sakes I hope that WKC does sell well, cause these forum really don't need more gloom and doom threads from more PS3 fanboys... its sad

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

I really doubt SE thought they were going to have a huge year in 2008. Anyone know what their projections were? This isnt any sort of win for anyone. I like how this becomes a big flame war when the 360 has 1 out of 10 games listed. Next year is the big year for SE... Well if their big games get released and arent delayed.

Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:
You know, every once in a while I allow myself to forget that console fanboys are really the kind of people who would go "serves them right" when game designers experience lower sales.

Thanks for opening my eyes on that front, guys. And lowering my faith in humanity another notch.

You know, every once in a while I allow myself to forget that people make assumptions that "serves them right" is only said by console fanboys and has nothing to do with the fact that said company has been releasing sloppy new IP's, remakes of 10+ year old titles and constant FF spinoffs.

Thanks for opening my eyes on that front, and lowering my faith in humanity another notch.

Did you somehow miss the other people in this thread who are explicitly saying exactly what I said? What pat of my statement made you think it included you, exactly?

Serves them right for putting JRPG exclusives on the "correct" platform.

For all upcoming SE games, it is DQ 9 which will most probably most the largest profit which begs the question, as Level 5 are making the game what % of the earnings do they take?

Around the Network
gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
Rei said:
Thanks for ignoring my post guys! Still, I dont get it how supporting the PS3 would change the situation for Square-Enix this year. So if anybody cares to explain - please do.

I think it's related to the "Ignore-The-Wii" syndrome.

It's moreso if SE wasn't so busy accepting payments for exclusive games, they would maybe be more inclined to make games on the Wii and PS3.

I mean, what idiotic company would make games on the lowest selling home console than the mid and high selling home consoles? Who would choose exclusivity of a bomba console in Japan over ones that actually sell if large sums of money weren't involved. If they didn't take MS's money, we'd have some Wii and PS3 games, that would have sold better than 95k easily.

SE and the Japanese developers have all said it again and again.. they can no longer survive by concetrating on one market (Japan)

So I'm guessing those "idiotic companies" are looking at global sales.... and by your logic any western 3rd party developers releasing PS3 exclusives are idiotic...

Ah yes because all of squares titles sells really well on the 360 outside of japan.....

SE has been focused on the remade of FF and DQ series during the past two years. Hopefully, the upcoming titles like DQIX, Dissidia FF, and FFXIII games will benefit from Japanese gamers' refreshed memories.

If you discount those remades, this is the sale # of SE's new games in Japan:

2007 TOTAL - (3,912,781)

2008 TOTAL - (392,125)

TLR and Dissidia FF may bump up the 2008 number (for new IP) to somewhere close to 1 million.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Khuutra said:
Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:
You know, every once in a while I allow myself to forget that console fanboys are really the kind of people who would go "serves them right" when game designers experience lower sales.

Thanks for opening my eyes on that front, guys. And lowering my faith in humanity another notch.

You know, every once in a while I allow myself to forget that people make assumptions that "serves them right" is only said by console fanboys and has nothing to do with the fact that said company has been releasing sloppy new IP's, remakes of 10+ year old titles and constant FF spinoffs.

Thanks for opening my eyes on that front, and lowering my faith in humanity another notch.

Did you somehow miss the other people in this thread who are explicitly saying exactly what I said? What pat of my statement made you think it included you, exactly?

I said "Serves them right" in my initial post on this thread.

Unless somehow I read your post wrong? *scratches head*

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I was not clear enough, I suppose.

The reason I cited console fanboys was to invoke the people who said it "served them right" for supporting the wrong console: Xen, masterb8tr, Gilgamesh, melbye, Smashed, darthdevidem01...

Khuutra said:
I was not clear enough, I suppose.

The reason I cited console fanboys was to invoke the people who said it "served them right" for supporting the wrong console: Xen, masterb8tr, Gilgamesh, melbye, Smashed, darthdevidem01...

So it was a case of misinterpreting what you wrote.

My apologies then.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!