By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix 08 sales Down 75%

Smashed said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Smashed said:
msnolp said:
So who think FXIII will sold more on 360 than ps3.
for me is 360 because of its awesome user base.

Oh god.. Your kidding right? Firstly, FFXIII is an exclusive in Japan, where the game matters most. Secondly, it's been in the Playstation franchise for a long time, I can CONFIRM that it will for a fact sell better on PS3 because of those 2 reasons, quote me on it.

I'm fairly certain he means excluding Japan.

Out of Japan, I don't really know. FF is pretty small in Others (big, but nowhere as big as in Americas/Japan). It will definately sell more on 360 in Americas. I think that the Others total will be short off 2M (combined), with a 66/33 split (favouring the Ps3). Can the 360 outsell the Ps3 version by more than that in Americas? Maybe.

Final Fantasy selling "good" in north america for 360? I just don't see it happening.

*Looks at the old-school Nintendo fans* ... They used to say the same thing about Final Fantasy and Sony Playstation.

Around the Network

Wow, remind me to stay on Claude's good side. You've pretty much ruled this thread man. SE is having a down year but they have less releases. I'm pretty certain that they expected DQIX to be released by now to be honest. With both it and FFXIII lagging behind, their sales took a big hit. MS practically gave them a gift in IU. In fact, I'm wondering what MS got in return for letting SE publish their game.

ClaudeLv250 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

ROFFLE. You must be on the verge of rage at the PS3 numbers if you honestly believe that acknowledging that it's not tearing up the charts is considered 'trolling.' SE has yet to release any of their games exclusively for 360: IU is Microsoft's IP and The Last Remnant is only timed exclusive. So don't come in here with this "we just want equal treatment" bullshit when most of the people pissing all over SE in this thread were the main ones slamming IU and TLR in their respective threads. That act is like tap water - it's in horrendous taste and entirely transparent.

If anyone should be up in arms it's the Nintendo crowd. The Wii hasn't gotten anything noteworthy from SE despite conquering Japan quite easily and their best effort's been MIA for over 12 months. Stangely enough, they're not the ones in here seething with "serves them right" comments and half-assed justifications.

I don't see where I said that the PS3 was 'tearing up the charts'.  The trolling is you saying someone said that 'it serves them right for not making PS3 exclusives' when no one said that or anything near that.  You must have been foaming at the mouth to make a statement about how bad the PS3 is doing in JP, and the 360 is doing even worse.  So why not make a multi-plat game instead of making an exclusive game for the XBOX 360 which is still well under 1 million units in JP sold.

Like I said, please check your PS3 hate, and smart-ass remarks at the door.  Thank you.

No one ever implied that you said that; it must be your kneejerk reaction to Sony's position. Stating reality is not trolling; it's simply a fact of life that the PS3 isn't doing that much better than the 360 in Japan. If you consider it trolling then you're going to have a rough time getting through this generation.

And of course people are slamming SE for not making PS3 exclusives. They've been saying similar things ever since FF13 went multiplat and a lot of Sony fanboys suicided. They're fanboys after all. Let's not start pretending that they have integrity. It's no secret why Square Enix became public enemy #1 overnight.

Finally, I ask, what games should they make multiplat? Infinite Undiscovery is Microsoft's IP so that's impossible. The Last Remnant is multiplat, just timed exclusive. Star Ocean 4 is made by tri-Ace, who aren't big enough to make a multiplat game, never have, and don't look like they will in the near future. There's nothing else announced for the 360...of those 3 games, only one of them was made in-house (TLR), and it's the one that's multiplatform. On the contrary, PS3 has not one, but two exclusive FF13 games in Japan. So it seems to me that SE is keeping up their end of the multiplat deal...for 360 games, at least. Versus still needs to go multiplat for all to be right.

So please check your Sony fanboyism, and smart-ass remarks at the door. Thank you.

How about not making IU a multi-plat game period, and not accepting money to make it exclusive?  Or not making TLR timed exclusive with no mention of a release date.  That could be a great start to having more sales of these games.  The reality is that multi-platform development is here to stay what, with increased development costs for HD games and the like.  And not making games multi-plat is stupidly stupid.  Why would a company even accept money to make an exclusive or timed exclusive game in this day and age, and especially SE makes me question the head of the company.  Especially for the 360 in Japan where no games move units or consoles, it's a decision solely based off of the lining of their pockets. 

I am just saying, make the games multi-plat.  You'd enjoy better game sales in Japan on PS3 and you'd have the rest of the world to have better 360 sales.  It makes perfect sense.  But these timed exclusives and bought IPs have done nothing for SE aside from waste money and time.  >_>

So please...  blah blah blah

DirtyP2002 said:
Zlejedi said:
Sigh they could have easily added at least 100 or more probably 200k more if they released IU on PS3.

Infinite Undiscovery is owned by Microsoft. Just like Halo.

I feel bad for M$. They paid S-E and IU is what they got in return. No Gears level IP this time

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

@DMJ

Infinite Undiscovery is an MS game. It's their IP. It is part of the reason SE publishing the game came as a big surprise. Square Enix probably made a deal to publish the game because a few of their 2008 releases were pushed back to 2009.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

ROFFLE. You must be on the verge of rage at the PS3 numbers if you honestly believe that acknowledging that it's not tearing up the charts is considered 'trolling.' SE has yet to release any of their games exclusively for 360: IU is Microsoft's IP and The Last Remnant is only timed exclusive. So don't come in here with this "we just want equal treatment" bullshit when most of the people pissing all over SE in this thread were the main ones slamming IU and TLR in their respective threads. That act is like tap water - it's in horrendous taste and entirely transparent.

If anyone should be up in arms it's the Nintendo crowd. The Wii hasn't gotten anything noteworthy from SE despite conquering Japan quite easily and their best effort's been MIA for over 12 months. Stangely enough, they're not the ones in here seething with "serves them right" comments and half-assed justifications.

I don't see where I said that the PS3 was 'tearing up the charts'.  The trolling is you saying someone said that 'it serves them right for not making PS3 exclusives' when no one said that or anything near that.  You must have been foaming at the mouth to make a statement about how bad the PS3 is doing in JP, and the 360 is doing even worse.  So why not make a multi-plat game instead of making an exclusive game for the XBOX 360 which is still well under 1 million units in JP sold.

Like I said, please check your PS3 hate, and smart-ass remarks at the door.  Thank you.

No one ever implied that you said that; it must be your kneejerk reaction to Sony's position. Stating reality is not trolling; it's simply a fact of life that the PS3 isn't doing that much better than the 360 in Japan. If you consider it trolling then you're going to have a rough time getting through this generation.

And of course people are slamming SE for not making PS3 exclusives. They've been saying similar things ever since FF13 went multiplat and a lot of Sony fanboys suicided. They're fanboys after all. Let's not start pretending that they have integrity. It's no secret why Square Enix became public enemy #1 overnight.

Finally, I ask, what games should they make multiplat? Infinite Undiscovery is Microsoft's IP so that's impossible. The Last Remnant is multiplat, just timed exclusive. Star Ocean 4 is made by tri-Ace, who aren't big enough to make a multiplat game, never have, and don't look like they will in the near future. There's nothing else announced for the 360...of those 3 games, only one of them was made in-house (TLR), and it's the one that's multiplatform. On the contrary, PS3 has not one, but two exclusive FF13 games in Japan. So it seems to me that SE is keeping up their end of the multiplat deal...for 360 games, at least. Versus still needs to go multiplat for all to be right.

So please check your Sony fanboyism, and smart-ass remarks at the door. Thank you.

How about not making IU a multi-plat game period, and not accepting money to make it exclusive?  Or not making TLR timed exclusive with no mention of a release date.  That could be a great start to having more sales of these games.  The reality is that multi-platform development is here to stay what, with increased development costs for HD games and the like.  And not making games multi-plat is stupidly stupid.  Why would a company even accept money to make an exclusive or timed exclusive game in this day and age, and especially SE makes me question the head of the company.  Especially for the 360 in Japan where no games move units or consoles, it's a decision solely based off of the lining of their pockets. 

I am just saying, make the games multi-plat.  You'd enjoy better game sales in Japan on PS3 and you'd have the rest of the world to have better 360 sales.  It makes perfect sense.  But these timed exclusives and bought IPs have done nothing for SE aside from waste money and time.  >_>

So please...  blah blah blah

The games moved a couple thousand x360s and S-E probably knew the games were so bad that it was better to take M$ money than wait for sales so they actually made more money this way.

I only wonder if the M$ money went to the company or to Wada.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

SquareEnix,please learn the lesson:
Timed exclusives for 360 DESTROYS the latter PS3's sales,there's a bunch of examples right now,but well....you want to suffer it on your own flesh >_>

Japanese SE sales are down a lot, but abroad sales will be much higher than last year I believe. Many of their Japan 2007 titles were released this year in Europe or both Europe and America and more are yet to be published worldwide this year (don´t forget Re: KH: CoM among these). And SE wants to achieve a bigger ratio per year in America and Europe. Now, that doesn´t mean they should lower their Japanese sales, but if you´ve been following SE sales in Japan and worldwide like me you´ll note that one year they have high sales in Japan and low ones abroad and vice versa the next year. That´s due to various reasons, like main DQ and main FF coming one year in Japan and only the next year abroad.

Anyway, SE becomes more and more healthy and has more and more cash to spend year per year and they seem to be in the transition where they get rid of their traditional, overprotective management that was settled after the merger for survival reasons and move to the former wide, creative self of Squaresoft. The least they´ll do is listen to angry gamers and fanboys. What you people doing here is destructive criticism. There´s no sane company out there that caters to angry mobs and fanboys, unless they want their downfall. Squaresoft learned its lesson once, no way they are going to listen to you guys again.

well if you make very few games for wii and literally none for ps3, what do you expect. square should rethink their strategy and at least put their rpgs on ps3 (multiplatform) instead of making them 360 exclusive. and give the wii some love too, it has the highest install base thus far in japan.

thats for releasing big games on a console with that its not even 1/4 of the fourth place :/