By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rougly how many sales are needed to break even on a high budget game?

@NJ5

is Wii Play the HIGHEST profit making game ever?

you seem to know the the actual % of money that goes to devs..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
NintendoMan said:

Incidetally, does anyone know why GTA IV cost $100 million? Seems abnormally high to me.

Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies revealed in an interview that the recently released Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3, X360) had a budget of roughly $100 million, marking the title as the most costly development of any game to date.

GTA IV's massive budget pins the title above the previous front-runner Shenmue, released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and costing an unprecedented $70 million to produce.

"It's like making a theatre production, a few movies and an album all to fit into one package," Benzies told the Times Online.

Benzies also noted that about 1,000 people pitched in on the game's development. Beyond the expected tasks of programming and design, Rockstar also set up time-lapse cameras on New York rooftops to capture the correct intensity of the rain, and took over 100,000 photographs on location to piece together Liberty City.

"We're constantly competing against ourselves," says Benzies. "If something isn't exactly right, it comes out of the game or gets fixed."

Then there's all the songs to license...

Source

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

darthdevidem01 said:
@NJ5

is Wii Play the HIGHEST profit making game ever?

you seem to know the the actual % of money that goes to devs..

I'm just guessing based on various articles and developer interviews I've read. I'm pretty sure most of the people in this thread are posting quite accurate information.

On a very quick guess, shouldn't Pokemon have made more profit than Wii Play? Wii Play is bundled with a remote so the profit per copy is probably not that high. Then there's Tetris ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5

Are we talking about Pokemon Red/Blue.....I dunno...maybe at that time its "engine" was costly

if its Pkemon Gold/Silver then maybe yeah..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Home is not a game but that must have cost a huge amount of money to make. However that is something which can be called an investment, it will be here for the rest of the PS3's lifecycle, go onto PS4 and all the advertising will pay for the project.

Around the Network

As BengaBenga already said there are too many variables ...

If it is a first party game, the fact that it is developed, published and licenced by the same company means that a large portion of the revenue (possibly up to $40 on a $60 game) is collected by 1 company. This would work out to a company breaking even on a $40 Million game after they sold 1 Million copies.

When you start considering second party games, third party games that are developed by the publisher, third party games that are developed externally, whether a game was funded through existing cash or from credit, currency value changes, and about 100 other factors, it becomes really difficult to estimate.

A (fairly) safe estimate for the break even point in general would probably be 50,000 copies for every $1 Million budget for a disc based game.

Nintendoman you could have at least read other posts before making yours. I already gave you the cost for Lost Planet, $40million. 20million for development, 20million for advertising. GoW cost $10mill however that is without advertising costs, that were probably also in the region of $20mill if not higher (I personally certainly saw more adverts for GoW than LP). GoW cost so little because Epic basically already had the game half made because of the unreal engine.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Games like Valkyria Chronicles which dont have great sales also do not have huge budgets. With that said I hope that game is making some profit as a second would be simply fantastic.

Zim said:
Nintendoman you could have at least read other posts before making yours. I already gave you the cost for Lost Planet, $40million. 20million for development, 20million for advertising. GoW cost $10mill however that is without advertising costs, that were probably also in the region of $20mill if not higher (I personally certainly saw more adverts for GoW than LP). GoW cost so little because Epic basically already had the game half made because of the unreal engine.

Yup, especially after I explained why a high budget costs more than 45M$. I think 10-12M$ was the price for games released early in the generation that didn't really take that great graphics. We're talking about the highest budget games here: GTA, Killzone 2, FFXIII and Gran Turismo. I also think that both FFXIII and GT will cost about the same as GTAIV to make. GT5 because it's a massive game with extremely detailed car and FFXIII because SE spends a lot on CGI and they are extremely inefficient unlike Epic.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

MGS4 took 4 years and was around 60 mil without publicity costs, was it not ? Quite possibly the most expensive [purely development costs] game so far.

To break even, around 1 mil copies, maybe a bit more.

@Godot - how is SE inneficient compared to EPIC ?

Corridor shooters with simplistic story and very few cinematics and dialogue are infinitelly less complex and cheaper to produce that RPGs with hours of cinematics and dialogue and huge maps with lots of stuff and interaction. Of course a FF like game would cost much more than a Gears like game.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"