By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why reports of the decline of the PS3 have been grossly exaggerated.

TheBigFatJ said:

I don't understand the point of your math. 

Right now, Sony is taking some loss on every PS3 sold. We don't know exactly how much.  You are suggesting they cut the price by $50, which would be ineffective anyway, because to the consumer the difference between $350 and $400 isn't all that much.

You think Sony can afford to lose an additional half a billion dollars per year?  On top of their mounting losses already?  Why wouldn't Sony be interested in profiting from the PS3 in your magic world or at least minimizing their losses.  From a business perspective, the PS3 has cost Sony so much already that it doesn't make sense to continue to throw money at it.

Look at the 360's sales this year compared to last year, and keep in mind that prior to the latest price drop, the Premium model was MS' best selling SKU.

Those gains happened primarily because of the $50 price drop last August.

And the ps3 DID win them a format war.  The Dark Knight is looking to be the first Blu-Ray movie to sell a million, and it's happening earlier in Blu-Ray's lifespan than it did with DVD and the Matrix.

Around the Network
whatever said:
The PS3 will be fine next year. All this doom and gloom is silly. We'll definitely see at least one price cut next year as BR drives will continue to get cheaper and cheaper.

It looks like we'll have 3 healthy consoles this gen, which is great for gaming. We do NOT want only one dominant console. Nintendo already had issues when it was dominant.

As a software developer, I've seen how bad it is when M$ drives competitors out of a market. Borland used to sell compilers for $100 or less, then M$ came in and under cut them, effectively killing Borland. Once that happened, Visual Studio suddenly cost more than $1000 bucks. Same happened with the Word Processer as they under cut Word Perfect (which was a FAR superior product).

If there is one company a gamer should NOT want to dominate the industry, its M$.

By all accounts, Sony has been loss-leading much more than MS in the gaming market. If SCE dies, it's not just because Microsoft has more money than them, it's largely their fault (mixed with some bad luck regarding the economy and exchange rates).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Legend11 said:
It's only natural to feel pity for the underdog but Sony in my opinion deserves none for the PS3. They were arrogant at the start of this generation when people questioned its price so it's not like their current situation couldn't have been avoided. They also used loyal Playstation gamers to win the format war. And they did developers absolutely no favors by making them have to spend even more time and money figuring out the PS3 when HD development is already expensive enough.

As for the thread I think the PS3 is having serious problems that will only get worse next year. People can list games like Killzone 2 but I'm willing to bet they won't do a thing to help the PS3 and the PS3's big guns will all come too late (much like everything else when it comes to the PS3). Also you can bet Microsoft will be there at every turn to counter whatever Sony does bring out. If people think the doom and gloom is bad now wait until the numbers for November and December are in.

I'm still wondering what this has to do with the topic, and I've read it three times now...

His first paragraph was OT and blatant trolling.  His second paragraph was basically putting words into Squill's mouth.  Squill never said those games would boost the ps3's sales.  He said they would probably sell enough to make back any money spent on a price drop.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

Good point.

I have one quite big question  though, that has been asked incredibly many times.

Do publishers really get 38 dollars?

If the game costs 59 dollars (which I am assuming will be the average price for the games sold, rather than the launch price 69 dollars), that means that there are about 8 dollars tax in most countries (14%), lower in some, higher in some.

I can therefore not see the publisher really getting more than 30 dollars pr game.

Okay, and a 2nd question.

You are talking solely by total sales.

What you should really be looking at, is the increase in sales due to those next millions. Will those sell 15M more because of them? Maybe, but it is no longer conservative, rather the realistic or slightly optimistic.

Edit:

To add a bit to my point.

I see GT5 selling in the 8-10M range (I've looked a bit at this, and it seems the most probable).

If the Ps3 ended at 25M, and sold no more, I would still expect it to sell 6M.

I really expect the Ps3 to sell 45-65M. That means I expect the 30 next million to buy only ~ 3M of GT5, and your OPs 10 million to only move a single extra million.

So, those 15M seems very optimistic as a matter of fact.

* 25% (aka $15) goes to pay the art and design guys.
* 20% ($12) goes to pay the programmers and the engineers.
* 20% (also $12) goes to your friendly neighborhood retailer. EB / GameStop, whoever.
* 11.5% ($7) goes to a "Console Owner Fee" - ie. whichever one of the Big Boys made your hardware (Sony, MS, Nintendo.)
* 7% ($4) goes to marketing, and puts Mad World and Marcus Fenix on MTV.
* 5% ($3) goes to "market development" -- paying for cardboard Standees of the Gears Crew and elbowing other games out of the way for shelf space at your local retailer.
* 5% ($3) goes to actually manufacturing and packaging the disc.
* 5% ($3) is spent paying the Man for IP licenses or maybe hiring some big name voice actors. If your game isn't an original IP, here's where you get dinged by Marvel, Disney, or Ray Liotta's agent.
* 1.5% (just $1) goes into the publisher's pocket.
* 1.5% (also $1) goes into the distributor's pocket.
* 0.3% (about 20 cents) goes into corporate costs. Management, overhead, lawyers, etc.
* 0.05% (less than 3 cents) go into the cost of paying for the Developer's Hardware. Who knew an SDKs can cost tens of thousands of dollars?

$12 + 3 + 3 + 3 = $21 + 1 (distribution costs) nets $22 out of a $60 price tag, the rest goes to Sony themselves.

Source: http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/37536/11924

As far as being optimistic or not I was also conservative in other areas, I didn't mention cost reductions (65nm RSX just been released), Continued sales of a few titles from last year such as LBP. Much of the cost of these games has been accounted for, and the only way they are going to make the platform viable in the long term is to cut the prices and increase sales so I applied revenue from the games in the same year as the games are going to be released and the sales of the consoles are going to be done.

As NJ5 said, the sales of the first parties aren't enough to justify the number of first party studios. The one thing I absolutely know will kill SCE dead is their large first party studio portfolio and stalling console sales.

Tease.

I don't want to repeat myself too much from other threads, but the biggest argument there is against this is that Sony as a whole will be in trouble next year (unless exchange rates and electronics sales recover).

When Sony was making profits, they could finance SCE's extravaganzas, but it will be harder to justify them next year.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

* 25% (aka $15) goes to pay the art and design guys.
* 20% ($12) goes to pay the programmers and the engineers.
* 20% (also $12) goes to your friendly neighborhood retailer. EB / GameStop, whoever.
* 11.5% ($7) goes to a "Console Owner Fee" - ie. whichever one of the Big Boys made your hardware (Sony, MS, Nintendo.)
* 7% ($4) goes to marketing, and puts Mad World and Marcus Fenix on MTV.
* 5% ($3) goes to "market development" -- paying for cardboard Standees of the Gears Crew and elbowing other games out of the way for shelf space at your local retailer.
* 5% ($3) goes to actually manufacturing and packaging the disc.
* 5% ($3) is spent paying the Man for IP licenses or maybe hiring some big name voice actors. If your game isn't an original IP, here's where you get dinged by Marvel, Disney, or Ray Liotta's agent.
* 1.5% (just $1) goes into the publisher's pocket.
* 1.5% (also $1) goes into the distributor's pocket.
* 0.3% (about 20 cents) goes into corporate costs. Management, overhead, lawyers, etc.
* 0.05% (less than 3 cents) go into the cost of paying for the Developer's Hardware. Who knew an SDKs can cost tens of thousands of dollars?

$12 + 3 + 3 + 3 = $21 + 1 (distribution costs) nets $22 out of a $60 price tag, the rest goes to Sony themselves.

Source: http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/37536/11924

As far as being optimistic or not I was also conservative in other areas, I didn't mention cost reductions (65nm RSX just been released), Continued sales of a few titles from last year such as LBP. Much of the cost of these games has been accounted for, and the only way they are going to make the platform viable in the long term is to cut the prices and increase sales so I applied revenue from the games in the same year as the games are going to be released and the sales of the consoles are going to be done.

As NJ5 said, the sales of the first parties aren't enough to justify the number of first party studios. The one thing I absolutely know will kill SCE dead is their large first party studio portfolio and stalling console sales.

Wow, thanks a lot for that there. A bit shocked that they get that much.

And your 2nd point is pretty decent too, so it looks like you've done some good research here. Impressive, and I think you're right overall. Great thread.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Squilliam said:

Eh, even with the current install base, the only SCE published games that may have not made a profit are Lair and possibly Folklore, and neither of those are first party.  They're not even second party, as neither Factor 5 or Game Republic are tied exclusively to Sony.  They did cost SCE money, though (or at least Lair did).

Everything else* should've made a profit by this point, if not a nice profit, like Uncharted.

Of course, there's also current development expenses to think about, for games like Killzone 2.  And there's Home, on which they may never make back the initial R&D.

*Not including games released in the last month or so.  LBP is probably already in the black, and R2, Socom, etc. are well on their way to breaking even.

*prepares the crystal ball*

I predict a price cut in February or March to coincide with Killzone 2 release however I think that will be the last price cut before they announce a slimline PS3 version.

*puts crystal ball away*

Do PS3 need a price cut? Hell yes! And its already almost confirmed to come in march. 360 was way cheaper then PS3 in EU before but now its dirt cheap. And last couple of weeks have shown Sony that they can't afford to have bigger difference in price between PS3 and 360. Anyway 360 still will be cheaper but the difference will be smaller.

shanbcn said:
Do PS3 need a price cut? Hell yes! And its already almost confirmed to come in march. 360 was way cheaper then PS3 in EU before but now its dirt cheap. And last couple of weeks have shown Sony that they can't afford to have bigger difference in price between PS3 and 360. Anyway 360 still will be cheaper but the difference will be smaller.

Almost confirmed?

Earlier this year, when Sony kept telling their investors they were focusing on profitability in the games division, some people kept saying a Christmas price cut was guaranteed. I doubted it back then, and I doubt it now too.