By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is the western equivalent to Manga/Anime?

I'm an ok artist and I just started thinking, is there a western comicish artsylte like Manga? When I say like manga i don't mean looks like it, I just mean is there a western style of art? Anyone know? Or would I have to make my own and hope it looks good so others start to draw like it lol.

Around the Network

As far as I know (I've done a bit of research on this) the entire Manga style stems from one man: Osamu Tezuka. The fact that he has had such a huge influence on Japanese comics, and basically created the manga as we know it, makes for some interesting effects. Instead of every artist creating his own style, mangaka usually only make small changes to the Tezuka archetypes and style, always keeping in line with the fashion of Manga.

I doubt that there has been any artist in the western world (apart maybe from Walt Disney) who has had such a huge impact on comics. Here you can take your influences from so many sources, while in Japan, the influence always stems from Tezuka. Thus the art-style in japanese comics is more uniform and distinct.

So the answer to your question would be that there is none. Western style is too diverse for any style to be considered the equivelent of manga.

(this post my contain factual errors. If so, please correct me. I'm only fairly certain this is the case)

EDIT: Btw. Osamu Tezuka is the coolest man ever to walk this earth. Yes. Even cooler than Shigeru Miyamoto. You can find a list of his works on Wikipedia. Try keeping your jaw from hitting the keyboard when reading it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_anime

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:

As far as I know (I've done a bit of research on this) the entire Manga style stems from one man: Osamu Tezuka. The fact that he has had such a huge influence on Japanese comics, and basically created the manga as we know it, makes for some interesting effects. Instead of every artist creating his own style, mangaka usually only make small changes to the Tezuka archetypes and style, always keeping in line with the fashion of Manga.

I doubt that there has been any artist in the western world (apart maybe from Walt Disney) who has had such a huge impact on comics. Here you can take your influences from so many sources, while in Japan, the influence always stems from Tezuka. Thus the art-style in japanese comics is more uniform and distinct.

So the answer to your question would be that there is none. Western style is too diverse for any style to be considered the equivelent of manga.

(this post my contain factual errors. If so, please correct me. I'm only fairly certain this is the case)

EDIT: Btw. Osamu Tezuka is the coolest man ever to walk this earth. Yes. Even cooler than Shigeru Miyamoto. You can find a list of his works on Wikipedia. Try keeping your jaw from hitting the keyboard when reading it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_anime

no1 beats miyamoto, well maybe chuck norris lol

Killergran said:

EDIT: Btw. Shigeru Miyamotois the coolest man ever to walk this earth. Yes. Even cooler than Osamu Tezuka. You can find a list of his works on Wikipedia. Try keeping your jaw from hitting the keyboard when reading it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_games_created_by_Shigeru_Miyamoto

Fixed

(>'.')>

Soriku said:
Manga - Comics

Anime - Superhero shows

Short, Sweet, and to the point.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Western styles are too diverse... there is not just one style...

a lot of American comics and European comics were influanced in the 90's by Manga and Anime..

which created a blend style.. first you had Jim lee (if you look at the progress of his work you can see clearly the change) then you had J. Scott Campbell... it made comics in general more dynamic.. and more unrealistic..

but there are still artist who are not that much influanced:
good example for a western style not influnced by Manga is George Perez another is Travis Charest (he is good) he has an more European style..

The French and Belgium are the main force in comic world in Europe.. Look at XIII from William Vance or Tin Tin from Herge... or Peyo and Willy Vandersteen..
I really love the diversity...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

No. Manga has roots further back than the twentieth century.

It came from the Tokugawa Shogunate during the 17/18th centuries. The Shogunate was able to maintain peace for over 2 centuries and as a result, a money-based economy developed. (before, all currency was based on Rice Crop). The population increased, and cities were getting bigger and bigger.

Farmers still farmed, but now that they had a disposable income and more time to work with, the came to be a demand for entertainment.

Thus, the manga industry began. Within these cities, Artists and writers supported themselves, no longer by farming, but rather by writing comics and such.

A style like manga? Manga isn't a style, it's the Japanese word for cartoon/comic. There are some peculiarities and shared features amongst the works of Japanese artists, but they're nowhere near homogenous enough to call a style, especially with the amount of cross-borrowing that goes on these days.

I've heard people talk of a drawing styles that are typical for different European countries, but honestly didn't understand much about it. =P

I'd say Parokki is right, it's not a style, it's a word.

It's like how in Japan Cowboy bebop is drawn differently from naruto yet they fall under the same umbrella of being manga/anime, similarly to how simpsons and Boondocks fall under the umbrella of cartoon.

So basically (to borrow a little bit of what Soriku said):
Manga - Comics

Anime - Cartoon Shows.

A good example would be like the simpsons comic and the simpsons show, a better example would be super hero cartoons, because some of them run story lines that appeared in the comics, which is how manga/anime work (most of the time).

Bongo.