By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Midway: Secret game looks 'better' than Gears 2

All I can say is, I hope so. There are a bunch of publishers that I think really need to find their stride, they haven't made anything really good for a while and it would be nice to have a variety.

Tease.

Around the Network

Uh-huh....

I trusted you guys to make Blacksite not crap. And you let me down, Midway.

Not getting hyped again.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

mrstickball said:
It's Midway.

Knowing them, it'll be on par with Hour of Victory.

With a bit of luck it'll be on par with BlackSite: Area 51 xD

cruis'n gears? the makers of cruis'n USA can make a game looking better then gears, no problem

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

...how is midway still making games ? thats the real mystery.

Around the Network

It won't come out until 2010. Sounds like it will take a lot of effort and money to get it done. I bet if it flops, Midway is history.

Their track record hasn't been all that great for years, but every company can have a turnaround. We'll see what the deal is with this game when there are some pictures. If it doesn't match up to the already high expectations, expect a GIANT backlash from the graphically-intense gaming community.

Gears of War is one of the highest games (possibly THE highest) to measure yourself too graphically.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

mrstickball said:
reask said:

Wheelman creative director believes the hype is justified.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at a Wheelman press event which took place in London yesterday, creative director Simon Woodroffe has revealed that the future for Midway Games' titles is looking very promising, but vague indeed and it's all because of the publisher's shared technology.

"I just saw a demo of a new Midway game that's in development. I can't tell you too much about it, because it's all concept art, but they've been on it for three months and it looks as good if not better than Gears 2's concept art" said Woodroffe. "This is only possible because of the sharing of technology - the same we used for classics such as 'Hour of Victory' and 'Game Party 1 & 2."

Woodroffe added: "It's similar to Gears, but a totally different set up - minigames, kart racing and Target Terror-esque shooting. I'd say that if we were to take all of the games that sold on next gen formats, averaged a couple of things out, this will be as successful as anything in the shovelware category. It's a very exciting concept."

Hype building? For sure, but Woodroffe was keen to stress that in this instance the hype is absolutely justified, just like for Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am.

"It's already looking as good as Gears 2, but the game mechanics are kind of different, especially in the gameplay section - it's totally different. It's going to be really big and really important," Woodroffe explained. "It's not often, especially when you're working for Midway, that you see a prototype or creative slice and just get the PR team on it. But in this case, the hype is puffed up."

This secret title isn't the only project Midway has up its sleeve. Woodroffe added: "Midway have got a really cool game, not the one I'm talking about but another one, a really cool game coming out of Chicago using the shared technology. It's probably not due until 2010, and the same goes for the one I'm talking about.... Hint: It may be Mortal Kombat vs. Ed, Edd, and Eddy"

While every single one of Midway's earlier titles which utilised Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 did run into development problems, Woodroffe believes the publisher now has a huge wealth of internal developers with the skills required to deliver highly polished turds.

"... you know, the biggest factor that hasn't been touched upon in recent articles is the shared knowledge. We have 600 to 700 devs, all with Unreal experience spent by watching others do better jobs at the engine, all working for the same company, all of whom can talk to each other about the latest South Park Episode. When we hit a problem, we have more people working on the engine than anybody - and we've proven the talent all goes to waste. And we have a massive pool of resources to draw upon. At least one team has dealt with pretty much every feature you might want in a next-gen game, and turning it to utter crap - which defines the Midway method. Which means that we, as designers, are in a great position - because we can actually build games to be games that ruin people's expectations, not just technology showcases any more," Woodroffe concluded.

Look out for updated impressions of Wheelman: Game Party 3 next week, along with more from Simon Woodroffe.

Link here.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-11-2008-10057.html

Corrected for truth.

I dont get you what do you mean?

Tech demos are wonderful beasts.

So I wonder if they are taking the sequel to Wii Cruis'N' to the 360 since it did not sell well.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

....I really don't to much trust in them....

Former something....

Supposing this is even true, will Midway still exist by the time this game is finished?