By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS3 lose game development by the end of the generation?

Only if sales hit a wall the way the GameCube's did, and I don't see that happening (due to price cuts) unless someone releases a new console sooner than I expect.

Around the Network

Yes. They will lose some becuase

1)The Wii will take them
2)The system's reputation is shot

I highly doubt it. The 360 is starting to show the mass market just how awsome these HD consoles are and its sales have been outstanding the last couple of weeks. Very soon we will see the HD consoles start eating back at the marketshare, and this will be good for both of them.

Based on last gen PS3 has sold enough consoles to be viable to third parties, and it does not lack anyhting that could give them a reason to drop support. The only reason Gamecube support dropped off was because of the disc size. It made no sense for NBA 2K, Madden, and othe rgames to be released on mulitple discs. That lead to less support for the system.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Smashchu2 said:
Yes. They will lose some becuase

1)The Wii will take them
2)The system's reputation is shot

I fully agree with you. Besides, as I've said on the forums before, I know no one besides my supervisor at work who owns a PS3, and her husband and son only play it for football and other sports titles. Oh, as well as DVDs and Blu-Ray. Seriously, the PS3 is an upgrade of the PS2, but all the hopes and dreams Sony had with the PS3 are gone from the PS2 era, seeing as other developers are producing more games on the Wii and X360. Sure the PS3 DOES get high quality titles, but they are so few and non-existant. I mean, no one I know of knows about the game called LittleBigPlanet. Even the children at the daycare never heard of it until they saw the commercials. One kid said it looked dumb and that Mario Kart Wii was better >_> I don't have Mario Kart Wii, though, so I wouldn't know how fun that game is, and I don't own a PS3, but I would never buy LBP or whatever game comes out on the PS3 that doesn't interest me. I'd only try to find a PS3 model that plays PS2 games, as those games seem to be much better than what the PS3 has on the market. Sorry, but these mature games (the overly violent) do not interest me one bit, and I don't see anyone besides 'hardcore' people playing them.

If I were Sony and my PS3 system wasn't selling within the third of fourth year compared to the competition, I would have called it quits. Seriously, with all the shit Sony went through during the systems launch, I seriously would stop the system. I don't see a point in fixing something that isn't broken, but rather not a good enough product to warrant the sales for the mass-market. Price is the factor, along with the games. Not everyone is going to want a system that's still too expensive with games that are not overly violent. And don't go saying stuff like LBP is something everyone would play. It's not from what I heard forum members state that it's difficult to make stages. No one is going to waste time trying to figit with something like that. Plus the Sack-On-Crack boys and girls scare the fucking hell out of me. They are so disgusting I would want to take a knife and cut them to ribbons, then take a torch and burn them to cinders. Worst looking character I've ever seen, those disgusting and horny voodoo dolls. But hey, that's my opinion, and sorry for ranting.

Not everyone is going to like what Sony offers. The price of the system and the selection of the games determine the sales of the system, not all the bells and whistles. Sure the PS3 would be a great piece of hardware, but it's only a luxury. It is not like it is a car as you cannot depend on it to save your life.

PS3 game cancellation? Sadly, yes.

It's already begun.

"The PS3 version of Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon has been mysteriously canceled a week before its release. Originally scheduled for December 1st, the game will now ship exclusively on Xbox 360. According to THQ, "development issues" have been blamed for this cancellation."
Source

My Gaming Setup

Around the Network
Neoraf said:

PS3 game cancellation? Sadly, yes.

It's already begun.

"The PS3 version of Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon has been mysteriously canceled a week before its release. Originally scheduled for December 1st, the game will now ship exclusively on Xbox 360. According to THQ, "development issues" have been blamed for this cancellation."
Source

I thought the ps3 version is back again?

Speaking to Eurogamer, a THQ spokesperson said that the latest DAH game would only be an Xbox exclusive in North America - due to the company being unable to finish the PS3 version by the games early release date in that territory.

"Destroy all Humans: Path of the Furon will be released on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 formats on February 13th 2009 across Europe," said the THQ person.

Sadly yes, but let me explain: Developers dislike the ps3 a lot

I work as a freelance game tester, and I have to deal with multiplatform games a lot.

The PS3 game are just ports from the 360, and the bugs come out to play, porting is not an easy task, lot's of coding, and some gets gobbled or something. I have seen a release date pushed back more than a month because of Port problems.

Many times The Ps3 Version is filled with bugs that were fixed on the 360 (I am under an NDA so that is all I can say, sorry!), and the developer, who are under pressure to release the game, give up on the pS3 build.

The Dev kit for the 360 is apparently(I do not code, I test), much better than the PS3's, which is logical since Microsoft is in that business!

The PS3, if it had a market share NOW might be able to pull it off...But it dose not.
With the economy worsening, there is unfortunately no way for the PS3 to come back

It is the Dreamcast/Sega Saturn of this generation: It has some great games, and neat hardware, but bad luck, and too pricey.