By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Disturbing Wii trend

Doesn't surprise me. Every retailer has their own ordering pattern and preferences.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
bigjon said:
astrosmash said:
mike_intellivision said:
I have a friend who owns a video game shop in the US.

He does not stock much Wii stuff because it does not sell. More to the point though, there are some games he finds he cannot stock because his distributors don't carry them.

So it can be a problem here too.

Mike from Morgantown

This really raises the question are the low sales (in certain wii genres) because consumers won't buy certain games, because stores won't stock certain games, because distributors won't ship certain games, or because developers won't put a real effort into certain games?

I think it has more to do with the fact that casuals dont go to game shops to buy games. Right now the Wii is always sold out at my Walmart Target BestBuy, but it takes a day or 2 to sell out at Gamestop. That is actually the circumstance in my town right now. No one has Wiis but GS, and they have them because they have a buttload in the back. The only time I can recall many casuals attacking GS was when the Wii was soldout EVERYwhere, they were calling GS alot then.

Ok so to the point, most of the places people have mentioned are gameshops, not major retail stores. Gamestops would have less interest in carrying, The Cooking Mama/ Game Party/ 3rd Party games(multiplat). Game shops sell to gamers, and most gamers if they have a Wii also have a PS3 or 360.... Why would you buy non hd version unless the Wii controls are done like really well....

Actually, I am in a town with FOUR Gamestops, two Super Wal-Marts, a Super K-Mart, a Target, and a Best Buy. Plus in addition to my friend's independent game store, there is a used-only game store. 

And people went to buy Wii consoles was Gamestop. They would almost linterally camp out, waiting for the UPS truck. And the Gamestop does a good job of stocking titles -- everything from first-party hits to third-party shovelware. Those decisions are made corporate and rarely do the buyers not get a title. (One Wii exception would be Williams Pinball).

But my game store owning friend would agree that people shop Wal-Mart for Wii titles. He has had the best luck selling Mario titles and bargain basement games ($20 shovelware).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

In Australia the PS2 still gets the most shelf space, with the Wii and DS equal second

@mike

I did say when demand was a peak GS was a place people went to buy Wiis, I am just saying that Gamestop is more "core" than walmart or targert so it would make sense for them to carry less super casual titles.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Galaki said:
Faxanadu said:
I dont find this problem over here. Anyone not wanting to make money because of personla opinion might not be surviving long though.

They could always blame piracy.

Blaming piracy is a lazy false excuse.

Around the Network
Valkyria00 said:
Galaki said:
Faxanadu said:
I dont find this problem over here. Anyone not wanting to make money because of personla opinion might not be surviving long though.

They could always blame piracy.

Blaming piracy is a lazy false excuse.

Lazy and false, didn't stop the blaming.

in my town in GAME -- PS360 have a huge shelf space which is equal.....Wii is to the back....DS has a big shelf space equal to the wii

PSP is hard to find

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey