By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its the XBOX360 going the way of the PS2?

jesus kung fu magic said:
leo-j said:
I wouldnt say there is no chance in hell, we will have to see what happens when it does get to 299

so your saying droping the price 100 dollars will increase sales by 25 million (predicted lead of the wii over ps3 by april 09).

That is beyond optemistic that is delusional

The PS2 was 299, look at it now sir, it was the console king.

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Chrizum said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

The X360 is going the way of the N64.

- Does decent, and isn't as bad financially as you could be afraid off.

- Gets toasted by the leader.

- Has an unusually large split between highest selling and lowest selling on the platform (of course, not close to N64, or any Nintendo platform).

- Is in an inferior format (vs Bluray) to a competitor, yet it still is capable of doing just as good as the competition if dealt with correctly.

The obvious difference is that the 360 has amazing third party support. The N64... not so much.

Yeah, I know. There are lots of differences, but I still think that this is the closest you get to something that is alike the 360.

Either that or comparing it with the Xbox versus PS2 and Gamecube.

Thechalkblock said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Chrizum said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

The X360 is going the way of the N64.

- Does decent, and isn't as bad financially as you could be afraid off.

- Gets toasted by the leader.

- Has an unusually large split between highest selling and lowest selling on the platform (of course, not close to N64, or any Nintendo platform).

- Is in an inferior format (vs Bluray) to a competitor, yet it still is capable of doing just as good as the competition if dealt with correctly.

The obvious difference is that the 360 has amazing third party support. The N64... not so much.

Yeah, I know. There are lots of differences, but I still think that this is the closest you get to something that is alike the 360.

Either that or comparing it with the Xbox versus PS2 and Gamecube.

Yeah, in a way. But the Xbox is a bit different.

It joined the market, and finished 2nd. Still, it didn't do as well as Microsoft could have hoped, and they lost a lot of money. The Xbox wasn't really a success, the 360 is. So I think that the N64 is a slightly better comparison.

I think

Ps3 /=/ Xbox

Wii /=/ Ps1

X360 /=/ N64

But of course, there are still huge differences between the two compared.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Smashed said:
leo-j said:
I wouldnt say there is no chance in hell, we will have to see what happens when it does get to 299

so your saying droping the price 100 dollars will increase sales by 25 million (predicted lead of the wii over ps3 by april 09).

Huh? So your saying the ps3 is in the same position as the ps2 except for the price?

The PS2 sold alot because it had the games to own and had the solid support of the gaming industy.

The PS3 doesnt have this.

PS3 and PS2 are sooo far apart from each other its like 2 different companies made them. The 360 is closer to the ps2 than the ps3 is.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

dougsdad0629 said:
Yay. Yet another thread about console X outselling console Y.

im not the brightest tool in the toolbox but isn't this a forum about computer console sales? So if your looking for threads that don't talk about x outselling y then wouldn't you be in the wrong place? I mean what did you expect to see on a website dedicated to games sales? :)

Around the Network

laughable thread. U think the X360 is going to sell 130Million +?
And you think it's already beaten the PS3?
WTF?

Smashed said:
leo-j said:

Yeah but the Wii is this gens PS2. The 360 is last gens xbox and the PS3 is last gens Gamecube. People expecting it to sell xyz amounts need to take into account the PlayStaion 1&2 era is over. It's reputation has changed. The landscape has changed. The biggest selling games this gen are on Wii and 360. Last gen they were on the PS2. It is not going to happen and i think it really is time people learnt to let go of those hopes for it. The PS3 is in it's 3rd year and sales are dropping off. Making it cheaper by $100 is not going to turn it around, it wont make it "cool" all of a sudden. America is well and truely now Wii60 country and UK is well and truely Wii60 country. They will not just wake up one morning and be like "i want a PS3!". The people who really really want one will already have one, this is why the sales are in decline. Where as the 360 is now at the "sweetspot" sales wise and that is why sales will continue like they are into next year.

The PS3 is not the PS2, the only people who think it is are die hard Sony fans. That won't shift the units, the people on the streets who don't give a monkies about history of a company will buy stuff that is cheap. And the PS3 will never be cheap = no chance in hell of catching PS2 sales. Look at the comparison chart VGC did the other day. At this same point in the PS2's cycle it was 20m units further ahead. People just dont want it, it is as simple as that. Just look at the software figures for those who actually do have a PS3, hardly amazing is it in comparison to the other formats?

The 360 wont touch the PS2. Lets keep some perspective here

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

the 360 fanboys are running wild.... Maybe they should wait and see if ioi is overtracking.... I would not want to see any mass suicides when NDP comes in.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
the 360 fanboys are running wild.... Maybe they should wait and see if ioi is overtracking.... I would not want to see any mass suicides when NDP comes in.

doesnt deserve a reply except this. Isnt it ironic calling people fanboys when you are obviously one with the post you made?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!