By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Highest Played LBP Level = 865,000 Views/Plays

If so then I'm really curious about the sales figures for the game so far....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I don't know if anyone read my last post, I was just wondering if others came across the same problem with searching for levels

Comrade Tovya said:
I notice a lot of people like this game, and most of my clan-mates do as well... my only question is, what's the big deal about the game? I don't really understand the hype.

I don't mind getting it, but before I do, what it the big deal that makes it such an epic game? What's the actual point of the game? Is it like a customizable Mario?

Pretty much. The core game is a basic 2D side-scrolling platformer like Mario, although with some significant gameplay differences.

#1 - Instead of the precision of "arcade controls," LBP opts for a more realistic physics-rooted control scheme, which has a huge bearing on the overall "feel" of the game/gameplay, as controlling your Sackboy's inertia is a big part of the battle when jumping or navigating obstacles that fling you up into the air. The core game is run, jump, and grab things. There's no fireball-throwing powerups or super-speed runs or anything outlandish or fantastic.

#2 - The look of the game is a complete departure from the fantasy worlds dreamed up in other platformers. Instead of Mushroom Kingdoms and so forth, you've got 3cm tall dolls of sackcloth roaming around in kindergarten dioramas. Everything in the game has a realistic touch to it, or is built from realistic-looking components. The devil is in the details, like the stitching on fabrics or the corrugated sandwich layer in a cross-section of cardboard. The visual presentation, IMHO, is just overwhelming. I've been playing it for over a month, and I am constantly impressed, even in things I've already seen before. It helps that the game has an outstanding, diverse soundtrack.

#3 - Local and online co-op, up to 4 players. TRUE co-op platforming gameplay. Mario doesn't have that, and the games that do, like Contra, never really take advantage of it. With LBP, many of the "puzzles" in the game REQUIRE two people to solve. Some of the segments in the last two 'worlds' even require three or four players. E.g., It's not even possible to "complete" the basic game without having a bunch of friends over or going online. LBP encourages co-op. It's seems superficial at first, but there is a reason that the sackboys and sackgirls are infinitely customizable, posable, and can bitch slap one another. Most multiplayer games wind up being hilarious, often unintentionally.

#4 - The core game on its own is worth the $60 price of admission and (IMHO) should be Game of the Year. The online, level creation suite, level sharing ... all that stuff is just gravy. The replay potential in LBP is just immense.

Dryden said:
Comrade Tovya said:
I notice a lot of people like this game, and most of my clan-mates do as well... my only question is, what's the big deal about the game? I don't really understand the hype.

I don't mind getting it, but before I do, what it the big deal that makes it such an epic game? What's the actual point of the game? Is it like a customizable Mario?

Pretty much. The core game is a basic 2D side-scrolling platformer like Mario, although with some significant gameplay differences.

#1 - Instead of the precision of "arcade controls," LBP opts for a more realistic physics-rooted control scheme, which has a huge bearing on the overall "feel" of the game/gameplay, as controlling your Sackboy's inertia is a big part of the battle when jumping or navigating obstacles that fling you up into the air. The core game is run, jump, and grab things. There's no fireball-throwing powerups or super-speed runs or anything outlandish or fantastic.

#2 - The look of the game is a complete departure from the fantasy worlds dreamed up in other platformers. Instead of Mushroom Kingdoms and so forth, you've got 3cm tall dolls of sackcloth roaming around in kindergarten dioramas. Everything in the game has a realistic touch to it, or is built from realistic-looking components. The devil is in the details, like the stitching on fabrics or the corrugated sandwich layer in a cross-section of cardboard. The visual presentation, IMHO, is just overwhelming. I've been playing it for over a month, and I am constantly impressed, even in things I've already seen before. It helps that the game has an outstanding, diverse soundtrack.

#3 - Local and online co-op, up to 4 players. TRUE co-op platforming gameplay. Mario doesn't have that, and the games that do, like Contra, never really take advantage of it. With LBP, many of the "puzzles" in the game REQUIRE two people to solve. Some of the segments in the last two 'worlds' even require three or four players. E.g., It's not even possible to "complete" the basic game without having a bunch of friends over or going online. LBP encourages co-op. It's seems superficial at first, but there is a reason that the sackboys and sackgirls are infinitely customizable, posable, and can bitch slap one another. Most multiplayer games wind up being hilarious, often unintentionally.

#4 - The core game on its own is worth the $60 price of admission and (IMHO) should be Game of the Year. The online, level creation suite, level sharing ... all that stuff is just gravy. The replay potential in LBP is just immense.

Nice summary.  I too was amazed at the graphics.  Even after playing Gears 2 I'm actually more impressed with the amazing realism of the textures in LBP.

Have you had a go at level creation yet?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

Have you had a go at level creation yet?

Yes. I'm interested in eventually sinking a few hundred hours into it, and have sat through the tutorials and wasted a couple of evenings fumbling though and building things, trying to figure everything out. I just don't think I'll be to the point that I can sit down and work on some full-blown levels worthy of publishing until I've beaten Fallout 3 at least twice!

The level creation-part is very interesting to me, though. I spent A LOT of time over the years making levels for Rise of the Triad (TED), Duke Nukem 3D (Build), and Unreal Tournament (Unreal Engine). This is the first time I can recall a side scroller has provided all those tools out of the box since ... uh ... Excitebike?

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Kyliedog

as I said.....just go to your friends page....then go to their hearted levels.

n play through those...its impossible to come accross a bad level in that way.

About two people on my list have this game, and neither play it much/heart much, plus difference in references, etc.

I don't play it much either, it is pretty dull even on the more active levels, so spending my time trying various user levels isn't my cup of tea. I thought of just playing mass hearted ones, but half the time I find broken things in them which I guess shows how stupid players are in general.

do us all a favor and stay out of the sony forums as you clearly never have anything positive to say. I swear all i ever see you do is post negative things about mgs4, lbp ect... Yes we get it, you dont like games on the ps3.