By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Ben 10 sell 2.5 million but core games flop?

my 11 year old nephew was been begging me to get him ben 10 game, since he likes the show, i just showed him some videos of the game and he changed his mind, other kids are not so lucky it seems :P

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

its for all the versions - wii, ds, psp, and ps2, not just wii

Idk kids love that series. Only natural they'd buy the game for it. But yea Ben 10 is across 4 platforms which is why it achieved that number.

And yes No More Heroes sales weren't amazing but it was the best selling one from Suda 51 and enough to warrant a sequel. Good enough for me. And Zack and Wiki is about to go gold and Boom Blox is looking to get to 700k-750k by the end of the year which is really good for a New IP.

And WaW is something ya can't count out yet. At least going to go gold. Nothing compared to its Ps360 counterparts but hell sales are sales.

What do you mean by 'core' games?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

BoleroOfFire said:
What do you mean by 'core' games?

He probably doesn't know.  People have a miscontrued idea of what core games actually are.  Sometimes they even use it differently than hardcore, although it probably is different.  I mean if we are differentiating between hardcore, core, and casual gamer then we are going to get confused so its best just to use hardcore and casual which is obviously depending on amount of time played.  Play a lot and your a hardcore gamer and play every now and then and you are a casual gamer.

However hardcore, core, and casual games is something harder to differentiate.  Any game can be a hardcore game if we use in the same sense as we do for classifying the gamers.  Meaning if ya play it a lot its a hardcore gamer.  But I disagree with Sean Malstrom on that.  I believer there are certain hardcore games.  Those games take a long time, difficult, and have constantly changing and progressive gameplay.  Meaning RPGs, some action adventures, RTS, MMOs, ect are all hardcore genres.  Casual genres would be ones that feature easier gameplay that don't change as you progress and generally easier to grasp concepts.  Those would include party games, some puzzlers, platformers, shooters, racers, and action titles.  But most don't like calling those casual so I call them more appropriately mainstream genres.

When I think of core games, though, I think of games that are mant for a certain userbase.  When I think of a core gamer I think of a fanboy per se.  A core gamer for Nintendo would want core games such as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.  Basically the first part offerenings.  Essentially core games are your first party games because your core is your loyal fanbase. 

Hopefully that helps explain some things.

Around the Network

^^I also think core games refers to first-party games. The title of the thread is wrong because Nintendo's core games are selling, and selling well. The games mistaken for 'core' are nothing but niche titles with little to no advertising. How can people buy what they don't know exists? Also, how much do you really expect non mainstream titles to sell?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

The shows pretty popular with young gamers [very young]. And most gamers are 13 and under [I think] so... I'm not too surprised.

4 ≈ One

Hey, that crappy Turtles 1 for NES sold over a million back in the day when it was very rare to see mln sellers so i'm not surprised at all.

Those games didn't flop

No more heroes sold well enough to warrant a sequel
Boom blox and Zack and Wiki have made a profit and are still selling
Call of Duty aint doing great, but maybe it'll leg its way out of flopping

It's just a lie to try to deny the Wii is still succeeding. And those who like the Wii, but actually fall for that, are just suckers.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs