By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Biggest 360 Week Ever? Tales from Black Friday

selnor said:
That video of people fighting over 360's was insane. Me thinks PS3 gap is in major jepordy

Welcome to October.

OT:

Yes, 360 Arcade sales will be huge, but Pro and Elite, not so much, judging by the amount of them sitting on shelves.

Around the Network
Comrade Tovya said:
hayeya_k said:
Can anyone tell me why Black friday is so big ???

Well, not real sure, but I think it's one of those odd events that just kind of created itself.  The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the start of the Christmas Season, and Christmas has become associated with gift giving.  When I was a kid, retailers just advertised "after Thanksgiving sales" and as I have gotten older, more and more retailers have started to do it.  And because each of them were competing against each other, they each started dropping prices lower and lower on hot items to drive traffic to their stores.  The term "Black" with any given day of the week added after the term has always been associated with dropping stock prices, so I suppose someone started associating it with dropping product prices (usually the prices on products drop significantly) so it was only natural to view it the same.

Really, Christmas as we know it didn't really start to be the big shopping holiday it is until the late 40s and early 50s.  Retail marketing has kind of created the holiday as we know it.  It used to be about people just getting together to eat with family and some very light gift giving.

I think most events and holidays are created in one fashion or another by market brainwashing.

Historically that's accurate usage, but I've also heard the term Black Friday used because even retailers that had been operating at a loss all year could expect to "get in the black" on that day, or turn a profit for the year.

Historically that's accurate usage, but I've also heard the term Black Friday used because even retailers that had been operating at a loss all year could expect to "get in the black" on that day, or turn a profit for the year.

*this (it's the term for going from "the red" (deficit) to "the black" (profit).

DMeisterJ said:
selnor said:
That video of people fighting over 360's was insane. Me thinks PS3 gap is in major jepordy

Welcome to October.

OT:

Yes, 360 Arcade sales will be huge, but Pro and Elite, not so much, judging by the amount of them sitting on shelves.

the pro will do fine , the elite .....not so much. With the current pricing model it's a silly SKU anyway

that vid of people fighting over 360 is crazy here it is again embedded.. no matter how good the deal you will never see me at one of these places.. its online shopping all the way!

Around the Network

arcade has best sales so far, pro and elite are good too

With sales like these developers are going to be falling over themselves to try get games out there for the almighty 360.

"Yes, 360 Arcade sales will be huge, but Pro and Elite, not so much, judging by the amount of them sitting on shelves."

Depends on the area. I went shopping early yesterday and a few stores had Arcades left, but no Pro/Elites. Others all elites, but none of the other two. Saw no Wii's and many PS3's which was not a shock as they were all the new high priced bundle. However what is shocking is just how many Wii Fit's are out there. Every place had loads of them

CaptDS9E said:

"Yes, 360 Arcade sales will be huge, but Pro and Elite, not so much, judging by the amount of them sitting on shelves."

Depends on the area. I went shopping early yesterday and a few stores had Arcades left, but no Pro/Elites. Others all elites, but none of the other two. Saw no Wii's and many PS3's which was not a shock as they were all the new high priced bundle. However what is shocking is just how many Wii Fit's are out there. Every place had loads of them

I agree, it's like they were stockpiling them. Those things are gonna sell crazy for the rest of the year.

On Topic: I'm even more excited than before to see the numbers for Black Friday week. The SW more so than the HW. I want to see what people have deemed the games to buy this year.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Looks like Wal-Mart is pushing through more sales this week as their Cyber Monday bundle sales out;

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=7117

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10746116