By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 has no install, optional or otherwise!!

Skeeuk said:
leo-j said:
Installs are for lazy devs that dont want to cache the data on the blu-ray disc..

i can recall when i laughingly tried LOST on ps3, it had a mandotary install that was flipping huge over 3gig. and look at gurillas effort, the best grafix ever on consoles with no install.

Its much more complicated than that,with no install that means games cant be over 72mbs of stuff happening in the level,which means it bottle necked.

Around the Network

Sweet, if other games for PS3 follow suit I won't have to delete crap off my hard drive!

leo-j said:
Installs are for lazy devs that dont want to cache the data on the blu-ray disc..

I assume you mean cache data on the HDD... which is what an intallation is.

This "lazy devs" comment really pisses me off. The only firm to blame here is Sony for using such a slow drive.

@Garnett: You propably mean 72MB. Where's the limit coming from? Besides, the level of graphics play one part on the space requirements.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@Garnett: You propably mean 72MB. Where's the limit coming from? Besides, the level of graphics play one part on the space requirements.

http://sawaal.ibibo.com/computers-and-accessories/how-fast-you-readwrite-data-on-bluray-disc-462626.html

I know the graphics are just 1 part,its everything else.

Around the Network

@Garnett: Ok, so you were talking about 72Mb. But where does the limit come from? 72Mbps read speed would mean that the 256MB RAM would take 28,4 seconds to fill up and the RAM size is what limits the amount of stuff per level. So, why can't PS3 use the rest 247MB:s?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Cant they cache the data on the disc? The disc has what? Over 10gb of space left over for most games?

mM

How's this possible?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

blazinhead89 said:
Most of Sony's first party games don't require install, but i thought KZ2 would def have one. This show's there are work arounds for the slow blu ray drive

and

SamuelRSmith said:
leo-j said:

I assume you mean cache data on the HDD... which is what an intallation is.

This "lazy devs" comment really pisses me off. The only firm to blame here is Sony for using such a slow drive.

The blu-ray drive isn't slow, where do you get this magical slowness from? The blu-ray is a constant speed drive. The DVD is a variable speed drive. The blu-ray's speed is faster than the slowest speed on the dvd, but slower than the fastest speed on the dvd. Averaged out they are very comparible and blu-ray is by no means slow.

@ blazinhead89

the slow blu ray drive

On average a PS3 Blu-Ray drive can read data faster than a 360 can read a 6.8 GB (dual layer) 360 disc.

DVD (and CD) has been around far longer, so devs had over a decade to optimise loading routines (varying read speeds) and still use this for their multi-platform games. For the small part of a 360 DVD which is being read faster this can cause problems, installing this to the harddrive is overkill (more than needed) but is an easy workaround.

One major advancement for Blu-Ray disc in comparison to DVD, other than more storage and scratch resistance is the constant predictable streaming speed, this combined with a harddrive for data caching offers a lot of potential.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales