By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 Price Cut is Not Going to Help Sony in Europe

By the way - I recommend you go read his other 2 threads before you agree with and associate with anything this guy says.

Around the Network

AKA, stop being so sour. You know you're wrong, unless out of knowledge.
The charts you showed are meaningless.

Look at the facts and the timing.
3 years into this gen already (2 for PS3), and Sony is still last.
Therefore, 2009 looks ugly for Sony (economic crisis, quarterly loss, aggressive competition from Microsoft, Nin)

My Gaming Setup

I think, maybe, i dunno, there is a slight possibility that the 360 sells that much becasue it's 2.5 times cheaper than the PS3?

The socially acceptable stuff the OP says has nothing to do with the consumers, it's just that the relative values of the 360 with the PS3 are such that the PS3 is about 2 times as valuable in Europe the the 360 but costs 2.5 time as much. When the PS3 goes down to only twice the price then the tables will turn again....

Just for future reference to anyone starting these threads again, nothing has changed between the 360 and the PS3 over the last 3 months other than that the price of the 360 has fallen dramatically.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

I'm not even going to bother listing all of the reasons why that makes no sense.
Okay, one. No, three.

Maybe the 360 is winning because the 360 is a third of the price of the PS3 in Europe (half for the Pro)? I don't know, just a guess.

Why on earth would a price cut make anybody respect a system more?

And even if by some cosmic event Europe now loves Microsoft, the price cut will still help Sony.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

^^ If you look at the 2 aqbove posts, the price of the 360 keeps dropping! You read a lot that its half the price of the PS3, then taxman tells us it's 2.5 times cheaper and now Kantor states its a third of the price!

Wow, MS not lying around!

Anyways, though the motor of the recent MS surge is the price, it might have taken down a barrier as more and more people are buying the 360. But this is also to due with quality of the machine and the games on it.

Though I dont agree that PS3 is doomed or whatever, I do feel MS has made a significant leap forward in EU.

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

Around the Network

We all know the 360 is a quarter of the ps3 price.

It can be reversed but its not likely now.

PS3 has an image problem. The general public still thinks it has hardly any games and is very expensive. Also my friends dont all understand what Blu Ray is about.

One even stated, and I quote "So its just like a better quality DVD ! Whats the point in that ?"

Sony need to educate people and quickly. Cut the price and advertise b4 its too late.

^ I heard somewhere it was 1/5 of the price ;p

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

taxman said:
^ I heard somewhere it was 1/5 of the price ;p

No way I don't believe you!

It must be one of those European deals that are trying to steal sales from United States with that Purple Saturday Europeans get

If it can help dead console like 360 in EU then why not PS3? 100€ cut will kill 360 WW.