By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Plasma TV gamers please glance =)

Well - if it scares you, then doesn't that make the choice of TV easy for you.
No point having a TV if you're going to worry about it everytime you play a game!

Around the Network

Why does gaming cause burn in? I thought the problem was with TV channels that have permanent logos on screen and then it leaves a permanent mark on the screen? Didnt think it could be a problem with gaming where the images on screen changes so often.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I have a 50'' Plasma, pretty heavy gaming/TV usage - and its perfect after 15 months, no sign of burn in at all.

Sometimes I see "echos" of images after a while ("burn in"), but after turning it off/on it just vanishes. No long term effects (yet) at all, its still perfect.

Awesome picture as well, I'll never go LCD from here.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

1080P is the most important factor aand standard feature any new display should have it above all else. !

you will want 1090P eventually the image on my 24 inch 1080P Dell monitor is awesone for games and movies - the detail is outstanding.

Lag is no issue on new LCD's. and Burn in no issue on new plasmas.
Brighter (LCD) is generally better unless you allways plan to watch in a dark room ?
New LCD's are dark enough and exceed the signal dynamic range of VGA or HDMI signals available anyway and have better color than plasma. LCD is more reliable lighter and typically lower power usage.

PS3 number 1 fan

stephen700 said:
1080P is the most important factor aand standard feature any new display should have it above all else. !

you will want 1090P eventually the image on my 24 inch 1080P Dell monitor is awesone for games and movies - the detail is outstanding.

Lag is no issue on new LCD's. and Burn in no issue on new plasmas.
Brighter (LCD) is generally better unless you allways plan to watch in a dark room ?
New LCD's are dark enough and exceed the signal dynamic range of VGA or HDMI signals available anyway and have better color than plasma. LCD is more reliable lighter and typically lower power usage.

A good quality tv with 720P is better than an average tv with 1080P and unless you have a massive screen or sit ridiculously close there is apparently not any real difference between 720 and 1080 so not sure it is the most important factor.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I have the Panasonic TH-42PX75U and have not had any problems with burn-in. It does accept a 1080P signal but its resolution is only 1024x768. However, as tuoyo stated, resolution is not the most important factor for a TV (I think colour reproduction and contrast are ahead of resolution). You will need to sit closer than 7 feet away for you eye to notice any difference between a 720P and 1080P image.

Also burn-in (permanent) is basically a thing of the past. Image retention (temporary) can still happen with TV logos or static HUDs in games. I was a bit worried about IR when I first got the TV but I have only noticed it for a few seconds after switching to an all-black channel (and only if I really look for it).

A major problem to watch out for is glare. I have my TV in the basement and even with curtains over the small windows I notice them. LCDs apparently don't have as much glare and are better for bright rooms.

As for power consumption LCDs are a bit better (but not $10/day better). However, they draw a constant amount of power for their backlight. Plasmas will vary drawing maximum power for a white screen, but less power than an LCD for a black screen.

Although I picked a plasma, I would need to reevaluate LCDs today since they have improved quiet a bit.

I just noticed that the LCD you are looking at is a Panny. Although they make good plasmas they don't have as much experience with LCDs (Sammy's were better although that might have changed).

@Tuoyo certain games cause image retention, which I'm scared could lead to burn. Think of it like this, I'm playing a game that has a health bar, that health bar is static. As a result the plasmas of the life bar are overexcited and lead to IR. This is why gaming gives more IR and higher chance of burn in opposed to movies or tv shows with no logo. Also I agree 1080p is nice but the fact I need to be 6 feet away doesn't seem worth it, and picture quality is definitely the most important in my opinion as well.

@Blappo thanks for your input the 80XU I'm looking at is the newer model I believe so it shouldn't be too different. That Panny LCD model actually has a really good LCD panel that a lot of other LCD TV makers don't use. If you're interested here is a guide on IPS http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php and why it is the best type of panel for LCDs. Most LCD panels use TN so if you are considering retrying a LCD I would suggest you get a IPS.

As for me I'm still on the fence, it feels like I'm in a lose/lose situation. One tv is cheaper by 50 dollars, a little bigger, but uses 720p (not a big deal to me) and requires more maintenance (however with proper care a Plasma tv will never have any problems).

On the other hand I have a tv that's smaller, more expensive, and with chances of random problems (stuck pixels, dead pixels, clouding, etc.) but with 1080p and is user friendly.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I didn't baby the plasma much during the break in period. Now I just make sure I turn it off if I leave the room or I'm not using it (i.e. I don't leave a game paused for 30 minutes on a pause\menu screen). I know some people who hardly ever turn off their TVs and IR or burn-in might be a slight problem here.

If your viewing distance is over 6-7 feet then the resolution will be a non-factor. The cost difference is less than 10% so that probably shouldn't be a big factor either. It sounds like a win/win to me since you like both TVs. Just buy whatever looks best to your eyes. Once its in your house it will look great.

BTW - I've hoped you compared the TVs somewhere else than a big box store. I looked at my Panny at a local AV store that did not use florescent lighting. All big box stores will have the TVs set to Vivid to make the colours pop, but this setting is completely unwatchable at home lighting levels. Unless of course you have stadium lighting in your rec room:)

I have a Panasonic 47, and I've never had a problem. The burn-in thing with modern plasma's is completely overblown.

Gerinako said:
Well - if it scares you, then doesn't that make the choice of TV easy for you.
No point having a TV if you're going to worry about it everytime you play a game!

That's why I prefer LCD's myself. I know all the advantages and disadvantages of Plasma, but they are pretty close, actually, and I'd rather NOT worry about my TV than worry about it. I'm a worrier, and I would worry.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.