By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Plasma TV gamers please glance =)

Hello VGCharters, so I was thinking on Black Friday of purchasing a Panasonic 42 inch plasma tv the TH42PX80U model. So as a result I've been doing some research on AVS forums. Unfortunately it seems most people on AVS with plasmas don't game for extended periods of time like I do.

So after reading a couple threads I've been worried about Burn In or Image Retention even after the initial 100 hour break in period. I was wondering if anyone on VGChartz can give me some of their personal experiences regarding Plasma TVs and playing the same game nonstop for 4-6 hours. Also since plasma tvs use more electricity is it annoying and costly to keep your plasma cycling through overnight to get rid of IR?

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

Don't do it! You'll regret it after a year or 2. Get a high end LCD. Burn in is horribly bad... I just witnessed 3 plasmas with bad burn in after a years use. It's not worth it.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

^thanks for the response, yes after more glancing I think I'm considering Panasonic's 37 inch lcd 1080p hdtv, also on sale Black Friday. It seems it is possible to make sure burn in will never occur but it involves too much hassle for me. I just want to turn on the tv and play. Too bad i think 1080p is a waste on a 37 inch. This means I'll need to sit 5-6 feet away from the tv to enjoy that 1080p >

i have a panasonic 42 inch HDTV, and ive never seen burn ins stay after i play games, they fade away over time

For pure picture quality, Plasma will always have the higher potential due to true-black. However, it might not be the right choice. Actually, it isn't the right choice for most people. However, if you value picture quality above all else(and plenty of people do) then go with plasma.

If you value conveniency, value*, and peace of mind, you might want to stick with a LCD display.

*LCD has a much larger marketshare, and while LCD TVs aren't always cheaper than equivelant plasmas, there are just so many LCD models available, that you will certainly be able to find more value per dollar in a LCD with some research.

As for burn-in, it's a problem, but it's not a "throw out your TV" problem anymore. Yes, they use significantly more power, but it'd probably be like 10 bucks more a month. The viewing angle is a little better on a plasma, but again, LCD is catching up in refresh rate and viewing angle.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I own both a plasma and an LCD.. heres wht i think

LCD:(samsung)
pros:
-lighter/slimmer looking, easy to move around the house/easy to hang and attach cables to
-Brighter

cons:

-Displays everything at native resolution(720p/1080i/p).. means SD looks crap on it(i.e. wii looks worse on LCD) since SD gets upscaled but doesnt really look better

-Blacks dont look as awesome, lower contrast ratio than plasmas..even though the new LG's crank it up to 50,000:1

PLASMA:(pioneer kuro)

PROS:
- I love the image quality- better blacks, sharper images, SD looks MUCH better than on a LCD(wii advantage)
cons:
- bulky.. hard to attach cables if you have hung it to your wall.
-consumes more power
-Burn in- I havent had an issue with burn-in yet.. but my friends panasonic did. The manufacturer recommends that you not play games on it for the first couple of 100 hrs.
- very high contrast ratio: blacks look black(and not grey)!
price:
overall:

If you get a good deal on a plasma Id much rather get that.. but thats just my take.. image quality precedes everything else for me..
If your going above 42" id say plasma.. everything else below LCD

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Those stating burn in is a problem for Plasmas - you need to look at the more recent/modern ones. This problem is near eliminated (so long as you buy the right one!)

Thanks for the awesome responses, now I'm back on the fence about the whole LCD vs Plasma. Perhaps posting both TVs I'm interested in right now would help.

LCD TC-37LZ85 pros
-IPS LCD panel (better colors, lower lag, better viewing angles compared to non IPS)
-1080p
-Easy to use and easy to abuse I'm the type of person that falls asleep watching stuff sometimes and that is a big abuse for Plasma...

Cons
-1080p but only 37 inch TV means I'll need to be 6 feet away to enjoy that 1080p..
-Plasma picture quality rapes it
-It's 50 dollars more expensive
-Motion Blur still exists...6.7ms ain't bad but nothing to scream about...
Price 749.99

Plasma TH-42PX80U Pros
-42 Inch TV for 50 dollars less than the LCD
-Motion Blur does not exist on plasmas
-I'm assuming plasma have no lag at all
-It's Panasonic they seem to be more known in Plasmas

Cons
-It's plasma, I'm afraid I have to baby it, and that the tv will dictate what I am able to play.
-720p but 42 inches...
-I can't game on it much for the first 100 hours instead gotta pop a DVD and keep the TV on for a week or so
-I don't watch TV and when I play a game I tend to stick to that specific game for a long time, doing so increases chances of IR and burn in.
price 699.99

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/print/the_myth_of_plasma_burn_in/

^Gerinako even without burn in Image Retention still scares me a lot.