By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Reporting of "news" content at VGChartz

Torillian said:
oh c'mon, give El Gefe a break. Dude just puts in whatever news he can find, what makes the front page is what you guys view the most, so anything that isn't "news worthy" can simply not get as many views and fall into the news abyss.

If articles are truly determined by page views, then not having a misleading title would certainly be beneficial, as it'd reduce falsely inflated page counts.

Do you think a news article titled "Best Buy employee promises 5:00AM Black Friday shoppers will receive free old shit from overstock with regularly priced PS3" would get as many hits as "Sony releases new PS3 bundle?"

Around the Network
nordlead said:
psrock said:
I've seen worst.

Who's the news editor, he needs to verify an article before being posted. Too many non new stories have been posted lately.

Technically everything (i think) is supposed to go through 1 of 3 people for grammer and spelling check. BengaBenga is the senior news editor, and DKII and Naz work on reviews. I'm never 100% sure who does what exactly cause I am not a news contributor. Obviously the writer of this news decided to bypass that mechanism. Also being American and having built in spell checker isn't enough for some people.

Anyways, if you really want to see this pulled, pm one of the three people I noted above. I don't know if anyone will check the comments section.

I really havent seen Benga as much or Naz lately, but this needs to change. ioi's goal is to gained respect and popularity, and this kind of mistakes should not be allowed.

If you are chosen to be a contributor, i know it's a free job, but make the effort to appear like a professional. I may be too hard on these guys, but its for the good of the site.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Torillian said:
if every news story had to be checked over for grammar and such then none of them would be news by the time they were put on the site, we don't have enough editors to look over every single one quickly enough. The title "news story" necessitates some speed.

An article like elgefe's latest one doesn't need to be checked since it was a copy/paste from Nintendo's site.

The one in question above could at LEAST have a spell checker ran on it, and if you want to get fancy, use MS Word's grammer checker (or if open office has one use that).

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Well, by the time I viewed the news item, it appears that grammar/spelling was correct.

Also, there are photos -- so existence appears to be legit.

Now the question is whether or not this is Sony-sponsored or Best Buy loss leader. From the picture of the packaging, I would guess the former, though it is possible it is a cooperative effort.

About the only thing that can be gotten upset about is the last comment borders on editorializing.

But I have seen far worse treatment of news from far more "accepted" news sources. The Sega comments regarding Wii as an expensive board game come to mind. The entire interview was on-line, yet the paragraph was all that Kotaku cited while G4 ran the one-liner on its Gaming Update with an "Ouch" tagline.

In reality, Sega executive was talking about how to get players to migrate up to playing more games and the company has many M-rated titles coming out next year. The reports though would make you think that it dismissed the Wii -- which it does not.

The controversy surrounding VGChartz is not about its news pages -- but rather about the fact it offers for free a substitute to the paid sales estimation services. Those companies (particularly NPD) do not like it and take pot shots at VGChartz whenever they can. Also, the occasional estimate gaf and periodic corrections are held against the cite -- while NPD often comes in very different from analyst predictions and does not make its changes or updates public.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Meh even if it's a rumor it's still news

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

So wait a second, what is your problem?

Are you angry that this "bundle" isn't being sold everywhere?

Torillian said:
oh c'mon, give El Gefe a break. Dude just puts in whatever news he can find, what makes the front page is what you guys view the most, so anything that isn't "news worthy" can simply not get as many views and fall into the news abyss.

Thanks Torilian... But I did not write the article thay are complaining. Also people dont value the effort some time.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

elgefe02 said:
Torillian said:

Thanks Torilian... But I did not write the article thay are complaining. Also people dont value the effort some time.

I love you, even if this will be your downfall

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

elgefe02 said:
Torillian said:

suuuuuuuuuuure you didn't

ymeaga1n said:
elgefe02 said:
Torillian said:

suuuuuuuuuuure you didn't

atleast he does something around here...