By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "PS3 being sold because of BR? Failure."

Playstation ads promote... Blue-Ray instead of Games...

Ok, I know the opinion of people on this forum about BR pushing PS3 sales instead of games.

This was "defused" by PS3 users on that last thread : http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4966

But still, for the last 2 weeks, I have seen billboards with the new Playstation 3 ads promoting... Blue ray, not gaming...

The two one near my office are with pictures of Wall-E and Hancok "unblured" by a black frame.

The catphrase was about the high-quality definition of BR and you can see a bigger black frame with a playstation logo and a PS3 on the bottom-right of the billboard.

I understand that Sony still wants people to associate BR with the PS3. No matter what people think, it is the sony marketing message.

I intend to buy a BR reader soon and... if I hadn't a 360 already, I might have taken a PS3. So I'm still convinced that a significant units are moved by BR... not gaming...

Comment, thank you.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

I don't know, and frankly I don't care. PS3 is proving to be highly successful as far as games go and that's all it needs to keep me happy.

Yeah.. in the Netherlands they are having tv ads for BluRay on the PS3.. I was like: wut?

Can't find it on youtube.. but this one gives you the idea:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

cyclone87 said:
I don't know, and frankly I don't care. PS3 is proving to be highly successful as far as games go and that's all it needs to keep me happy.

"Don't know, don't care..."

What is the point of your post then ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

If you look at every single BR released by Sony Pictures (in Australia at least) they all have the sign 'also playable on Playstation 3' or something similiar. Its just common sense to associate your brandname as an integral family and I don't why see why the billboard which is obviously advertising the BR movies and NOT the PS3 shouldn't also attach some reminders to the consumer that the PS3 has additional functionality. (ie it can play BR).

Problem is if you ONLY want to watch BR, why the hell would you shell out $200 extra on a PS3 when a stand-alone player can well suffice? The only reason you would get a PS3 is that you like the option that it can play BR AND games, which means that while you might have purchased it for the blueray you certainly would be interesting in gaming too? Otherwise why bother forking out the extra money?

Good example would be my friend who intends to purchase a PS3 when the Dark Knight comes out, because he wants the BR version of it, at the same time he will also be purchasing GT5 Prologue and Motorstorm PR, simply because... 'hey I got the PS3 might as well get some games too eh?'

I respect you opinion but I also respectfully disagree with it. I think that a very small minorities might have bough the PS3 initially as BR player but in today's market, certainly not anymore.

Around the Network

they want to hit a broader demographic than just gamers.

I got the ps3 for some exclusives like god of war but bluray sealed the deal.

PS3 has most of my personal favorite games this generation. Yeah, Sony doesn't hype their games enough to the real world. Yes, I know they hype their games to the forum goers, which make less than 3% of the gaming population. R2 and LBP are two games that could be much more successful if they knew how to correctly hype them to the GENERAL PUBLIC.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

BTW i have started to see a lot of MS2 ,Mirror edge ,R2 and LBP only adds .so they are doing both.

to make both gamers and movie enthusiast interested in their product. (and lot of people like me are hybrid of gamer and movie enthusiast so a PS3 would fit the bill perfectly)

SpartanFX said:
they want to hit a broader demographic than just gamers.

I got the ps3 for some exclusives like god of war but bluray sealed the deal.

Sealed the deal ? According to what you said, you were already into the playstation with the coming exclusivities.

Did the BR really changed something to you compared to the 360 ?

That is what confuses me... since standard BR are now cheaper than the PS3... what is the target of those ads now ?

Let me turn it in another way : In my company, we do dataming consulting. This can lead to market segmentation and support marketing campaign.

So if sony spends some money on those billboards with the association of "You want BR, get PS3", their must be a target population for that.. who ?

Imho they should do special bundle for movie watchers with remote and hdmi cables included into it.

And yeah I also liked ps3 more becouse it can play games and i can watch bluray movies with it. Now if only they could start releasing more anime on it I'd be even happier.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB