By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 as blu-ray player: "for the money, it can't be beat" - CNNMoney review

goddog said:
when did people claim its a subpar blue ray player? i had always heard it was one of if not the best on the market.... and that was one reason the ps3 cost so much

most recent example was uber-fanboy kowenicki, here (and did the OP imply it, too?  failed to check..):

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=48843&page=1

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PS3 can be the best Blu Ray player all it wants. The question i'm desperately putting out to be answered is, when is it going to be considered the best video game system? Sony needs to get their priorities straight.

Make a new thread.  Good luck controlling scope and title.

Too bad it costs as much as 5 blu-ray movies though, am I right?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PS3 can be the best Blu Ray player all it wants. The question i'm desperately putting out to be answered is, when is it going to be considered the best video game system? Sony needs to get their priorities straight.

Make a new thread.  Good luck controlling scope and title.

S.T.A.G.E. - Some people would say it already is. I'm pretty sure it is a matter of oppinion.

OP - CNN should never be cited lol. I'll have to agree with them in this case though, PS3 has been the best Blu Ray player since the day it came out.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

The highest rated blu-ray player in this CNN money article was the PS3.  I remember some members here claiming they'd heard that PS3 had subpar blu-ray movie playback, which in fact has not been true at any time since the PS3's release according to the consensus of reviewers.

PS3 also got props for regular DVD movie handling and load speeds.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/moneymag/0811/gallery.blueray_players.moneymag/index.html

Everyone here knows that the PS3 has been one of the best Blu Ray players since launch.

Could you find these "members"? just for the purpose of showing them the truth?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
goddog said:
when did people claim its a subpar blue ray player? i had always heard it was one of if not the best on the market.... and that was one reason the ps3 cost so much

most recent example was uber-fanboy kowenicki, here (and did the OP imply it, too?  failed to check..):

He's not stating the PS3 is a subpar player, he's just stating new Blu Ray players coming out have better specs...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Go Playstation Triple.

4 ≈ One

The advantage the PS3 has over just about every other Blu-Ray player is that it is simply a more powerful computer than those other players are. Electronics manufacturers try to put as little power under the hood as they can get away with on things like DVD players, so the load times on early gen Blu-Ray players are atrocious.

That has never been a problem with the PS3 because a gaming system has higher spec requirements to begin with than a typical Blu-Ray player.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

gebx said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
goddog said:

He's not stating the PS3 is a subpar player, he's just stating new Blu Ray players coming out have better specs...

Nice attempted save after reading a bit further.

He said, "as there are many many blu ray players with better spec and output quality than the PS3".  Are there many many many many players out there, such that PS3 is behind many many of them but not subpar?  Nitpick that, nitpicker.

And, funny that you were in the original thread but failed to correct others that also thought kowenicki was claiming that PS3 wasn't a good blu-ray option even though in fact PS3 is consistently the best option or nearly so.  Yet, here, after making yourself look like an ass with your first post, now you want to say that kowenicki was being misinterpreted.  But he said there 1) ARE 2) MANY MANY blu-ray players with better spec and output quality than the PS3.  Sound right to you?  Does it sound like he's saying that new blu-ray players coming out have better specs?

Plus, when he said "entry level you meant to say" in his first post, he implied that the PS3 was entry-level quality.  Let me guess, entry level is not subpar?  Dig yourself deeper.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
goddog said:

wow im honestly suprised that was said, i know there are a few in the same class, but the others cost an arm and a leg.... though cool link to a cheaper blue ray player with comparable specs... still not going blueray, but nice to see they are trying on price 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog