By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 or PS3 for minimal gamer?

I've never seen an RPTV that can match a flat-panel display for picture quality. Additionally, even if this "laser DLP" TV can break that trend, I doubt the OP (or most anyone) wishes to spend $7000 on it.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
I say Xbox 360. Since you want Netflix, its pretty much the only option and you can enjoy it straight away. With Blu Ray you've gotta actually buy/rent disks to take advantage.

Buy an Xbox 360 Arcade, grab a cheap 20gb HDD from somewhere along with the media remote and you're good to go.

Finally someone who says 360 and responds with something the OP specifically states he is interested in instead of trying to convice the things the OP specifically states he isn't interested to get.

If you are getting a 50" plasma PS3 is the way to go with Blu-ray that and it will upscale all your existing DVD's. Makes quite a difference.

Assuming you live in the USA, the PS3 has a Movie store as well. But it's not a flat rate, you pay per movie.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

taken from xbox.com

as far as HD goes:

Netflix instantly streaming in HD: The New Xbox Experience isn't the only thing that will look great on your TV. Netflix is taking the first step by instantly streaming movies and TV episodes in high definition with the introduction of approximately 300 choices in HD via Xbox 360, including La Vie en Rose, Flawless, and Heroes. Xbox 360 is the only Netflix-ready device to offer high-definition movies and TV episodes.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

If you are a minimal gamer it may be worth your while to buy just a standalone player.

Both consoles have problems
The PS3 is still ludicrously expensive for what it is.
The Xbox doesnt play Blu Ray.

If you are set on a console you need to consider that the Xbox needs a wireless upgrade or a cable for internet access.

The PS3 Wifi is inbuilt.
Also the PS3 is more reliable but it gets really really hot. My friend melted the side of one of his game cases when he left it near the heat exchanger on the side.

Max King of the Wild said:
Squilliam said:
I say Xbox 360. Since you want Netflix, its pretty much the only option and you can enjoy it straight away. With Blu Ray you've gotta actually buy/rent disks to take advantage.

Buy an Xbox 360 Arcade, grab a cheap 20gb HDD from somewhere along with the media remote and you're good to go.

Finally someone who says 360 and responds with something the OP specifically states he is interested in instead of trying to convice the things the OP specifically states he isn't interested to get.

Thanks.

Tease.

360's are loud especially if your watching a movie, you can really hear it. Also the PS3 comes with a free remote control now.

Imagine your on the sofa and you want to pause the movie what is better, a 360 controller or a blu ray remote control?

well true the drive is loud, but a sound system drowns it out. BUT! if you are watching it from the hard drive (Netflix) than that really isn't an issue.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

My PS3 is totally silent no matter what. My 360 is pretty quiet when it plays DVDs or CDs. Games on the other hand......... Personally, if I were you and I had an HDTV, I'd go with the PS3. I'm a HD nut, though. If your priority is games, I say go with the 360.

Or, you could just buy a DVD player. They're about $15 bucks now!