By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your favorite budget games from this gen or past gens?

I've been playing through Evil Dead:  Regeneration for the Original XBOX the past couple of days, and I think it is a very solid title.  Especially since it was released as a budget game.  I bought it Christmas 2006 at Walmart for $19.99.  The graphics are good for a last gen game, the voice acting by Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell is great, and the game mechanics are very rich.  It almost reminds me of a melding of some of the best elements of Sony last gen platformers like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter mixed with more hardcore xbox style shooting combat.  And it does a good job of further developing the world from the Evil Dead movies.  There are a few shortcomings but they are the usual shortcomings that one finds in games in this genre -- maybe the jumping isn't precise at times or the camera is a little off, but I think being able to play as Ash while double weilding a shotgun and a chainsaw more than makes up for the games shortcomings.

What are some of your favorite budget games from the current gen or past gens? 

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

Disgaea 3 was a very fun budget title for the PS3. I've also enjoyed several of the titles available on the PSN (Pixeljunk, Wipeout HD, Calling all Cars)

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for SNES for $10 at Cash Converters!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I've got a soft spot for Evil Genius (PC).

Gungrave: Overdose! It's original retail price at release was $15!

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I've only have 1 budget game so far (as in, didn't start out at typical full price of 50 or 60)

Mercury Meltdown Revolution - $20. Awesome game if you like marble type games.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is in the mail, so it will probably bump Mercury Meltdown off the top spot.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I like getting games that are bundled together. Like The Sims coming with an expansion pack or two. That makes me feel like I'm getting the most for my money.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Budget titles: Well if by that you mean cheap ones by today's standards, these are them.

Escape From Bug Island- I know I'm the only one in the world. I thought it was pretty fun to go around and squash bugs though.

Red Steel- Controls weren't too bad after adapting to them. I'd like to see out the sequel turns out though.

Obscure: The Aftermath- Never played the first one, but I found this game pretty cool. The game also maintains this whole campy-cheesy-horror film atmosphere with an admitedly cool soundtrack.

Final Fantasy X- Got this for $9.99 used. Let's just say it was worth the $49.99 it lauched at.

Ace Combat 5- Pretty nice flight simulator with some good music. I'd like to get the 6th one too.

Shadow of the Colussus- Got for $20, really cool boss battles and visuals.

Rocket: Robot on Wheels- Never heard of this as a kid, but getting a chance to play it, it's really one of those obscure N64 games that die-hard fans of said console might even know of. I even find it's gameplay only a few notches below Banjo-Kazooie. All this for $5.

Chameleon Twist- I only had the sequel when I was a kid, but it's great to play this kind of game again. Shame it was given so much hate by reviewers.

Earthworm Jim 3D- I know some people think it's one of the worst jumps to 3D, but I personally find it to be pretty fun. I'll admit the boss battles are terrible though.

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P