By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

MGS4 is revolutionary because it takes storytelling farther than it has gone in the last three thousand years.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:

Eh... you do realize that

A) Most PS2 users were casuals...

B) Not only casuals would want Wii Fit...

Infact, i'd say you'd be a pretty crappy gaming enthusist if you missed out on such a new way to play games.

Aside from which, the adoption rate numbers really bears out his arguement.  It's not likely that early adopters are going to become late adopters... so you gotta figure at least as many people who bought in last generation at this point bought in this generation already.

Quite possible, but it wasn't like a 90%/10% split.

And how am I not a gamer for not wanting to play a 'game' where I do yoga?

EDIT: No offence to anybody who likes Wii Fit.

But for me, it's twice the price of a regular game, and something I could do for free.

It was actually probably around there.

As for why?  Because they way you do it is a completly new way to play a game.  The Balance Board is again an interesting new take on controller imputs.

How can you really be a fan and not want to try out the new advances in your field?

That's like calling yourself a movie fan yet only watching Steven Seagal films.

It's like being a gourmet and not eating McDonalds.

Gourmet's aren't enthusiasts. Gourmands are.

Gourmets are people who just like a certain type of food.

They don't enjoy all food or all culinary arts.

They just like what they like.

Why would I spend money on a console I don't want, and spend almost as much money on a game that doesn't appeal to me, just to 'experience a new way to play a game'

It's not a game, it's an exercise programme. I'm not spending 400 US$ on an exercise programme.

Because your not really a gaming enthusaist.  Your just someone who likes to play games.

You've got no overarching love for the industry as a whole... your not willing to expierence how everything is expanding and judging completely new expierences before trying them.

You're just not as "hardcore" as you think you are.

Still we're getting off the point.... that a lot of people who really like gaming would actually want to buy Wii fit.

I mean hell, all the proof you need is right here.

http://vgchartz.com/games/ownerlist.php?id=7480

VGChartz is not an accurate representation of the entire gaming population. If it was, how many copies would this game have sold?

I don't see how it's a 'new experience' at all. That 'experience' has been around as long as gyms have been around. Not everybody is going to like every game. Example:

As it says in the link, MGS4 has 594 owners on this site. It has sold 3.48 million copies WW. This is out of 16.5 million PS3 owners in the world. This game got a 10 from IGN, 10 from Gamespot and currently holds a 94 on metacritic. So clearly, in reviews, MGS4 > Wii Fit.

And yet people do not buy it. They judge it before playing it, they say it has 'too many cutscenes' without ever watching one of them, they say the controls are bad without ever holding a Dual Shock, they say it isn't good without ever experiencing how incredible it really is.

I suppose they're not hardcore either.

Is not MGS4 basically the same as the previous MGS games?  What about MGS4 is revolutionary in terms of gameplay for the industry.

Wii-Fit isn't something that is the same as a gym.  The balance control scheme is new... and there is plenty of non related gym stuff involved with it.

New example: Shadow of the Colossus. Shouldn't anybody who is 'hardcore' have played that?

It's about as far from traditional as is possible. It can't really be put into words.

If Wii Fit is revolutionary, Singstar is revolutionary. Guitar Hero is revolutionary. They are not for everyone, they are aimed at a specific audience.

Your points are kinda flaling away at nothing here... and once again making my point, and not yours.

People do have different tastes.  Someone who is an ethuthiast would likely want to try all kinds of revolutonary stuff however... and would really have broad tastes.

I wouldn't say Guitar Hero was revolutionary though.  I've played it, it's just timed action sequences timed to music on a plastic guitar.  It's no more revolutionary then a controller with different button placement.

As for Wii Fit. .. it's not very specific at all.  It's actually very broad.  You've got things  like yoga and you've got things like snowboarding... and the Balance board is the best way to play some games that are being released by the Wii.

So if your interested in Shaun White's Snowboarding, Skate It or whatever else. (Wii Ski I think?) 

You need Wii fit.

Which makes it's appeal even broader.   Just because you don't want to play it doesn't mean most people don't.

I mean shoot, not wanting to play with the balance board.  That's kinda like if someone during the PS1 era said "You know... I refuse to play dual analog!  It sucks and doesn't fit my taste."

If somebody made a game where you complete each level by punching yourself in the face, that would be revolutionary.

Would you buy it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

And the Dual Analog is a lot more adaptable than the Balance Board.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
If somebody made a game where you complete each level by punching yourself in the face, that would be revolutionary.

That's just a ridiculious example.

Also, i think your really underestimating all the different things that can be done with a balance board.

Shouldn`t be there already a sticky thread, like "PS3 is dead" or "PS3 lost this gen" ? =))))))))))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:

Also, i think your really underestimating all the different things that can be done with a balance board.

Explain to me how I can play MGS4, God of War, BioShock, Oblivion, Shadow of the Colossus and Ratchet and Clank with a balance board please.

Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:

Explain to me how I can play MGS4, God of War, BioShock, Oblivion, Shadow of the Colossus and Ratchet and Clank with a balance board please.

VS how you could only play it with dual analog sticks?

Cause the PS2 controller is just the PS1 controller with the afrorementioned dual analog.

Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:

VS how you could only play it with dual analog sticks?

Cause the PS2 controller is just the PS1 controller with the afrorementioned dual analog.

MGS4: L = Move, R = camera/aim

God of War: L = Move, R = roll

BioShock: L = Move, R = aim

Oblivion: L = Move, R = aim

Shadow of the Colossus: L = Move, R = camera

Ratchet and Clank: L = Move, R = aim/camera.

Can you do any of those things with a balance board?

Obviously you can't do it with ONLY dual analog, but if you were to replace the analog sticks on a dual shock with a balance board, would any of those games be playable?

Lol liking the examples used but in the end, balance board games are not suited for analogs and vice versa. Also both are very innavotive ideas, its just balance boards are new and will probably get boring in a few years. By then Wii sales may drop giving PS3 a chance, unless Nintendo think up another new idea that is.

Help I cant get my trophy card to work.

@Kantor.

It's not about playing MGS4 with a board.... those games are designed around the PS controller.

That's like asking someone how to make toast with a microwave.... the microwave is a very versatile item for cooking but you can't toast with it.

Some "old style" games can be achieved as well as, or better with the board than DShock, like boarding/skiing... driving games (pedals) and many puzzle games like tetris or rolling maze type games... in addition there can be many other things done that can't be done on a controller just like some can't (or shouldn't) be done on the balance board.