By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: "one-console market is over"

Dodece said:
@RolStoppable

I think the cold dark reality is that Nintendo has been terribly effective at stifling third party competition on their platform. Nintendo has actually been too successful on their consoles for too long. I think it is entirely too easy to say if the games are made they will be purchased given what the sales charts show. More to the point the console sells in spite of having these titles.

There is far too much persuading developers to bet heavily on the Wii outside of the fare that sells well on the console. Games for the very young or mini game collections. I think that if your frustrated the only one to blame is Nintendo. They need to get over their needs, and finance some big third party games for their platform. To at least make the point to third party developers that their games can succeed on the platform.

Nintendo should do this for no other reason then history has shown that the winner one generation can be the loser the next. When that happens you really want to have good third party support in play. That is what kicked Nintendo to the curb in the previous two generations. They never made it a point to push for third party developers. Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft made it a point to make third party development a priority for their consoles.

Nonsense.

Honestly Nintendo doesn't have to do SHIT for third partys.

When you already have the largest market share with the CHEAPEST AND EASIEST TO DEVELOP FOR SYSTEM, theres no excuse from third partys.

Nintendo doesn't suddenly go ""Well guys it was fun, but we better bend over for the third partys now.""  No.  Third partys were given every opportunity to make any game they wanted on the Wii, they chose to fill it with shovel ware now there crying because they'v themselves established that the only real good games on the system are coming from Nintendo or a certain few third partys.

Don't act like the Wii fanbase hasn't being VERY vocal as well to third partys to improve during the two years, but in the end, MOST OF THEM DIDN'T LISTEN.

Third Partys put themselves in this corner and there seeing now the dominate system is going to thrive WITHOUT THEM.

Around the Network
Luney Tune said:
Star Ocean 4 is made by tri-Ace, not SquareEnix. tri-Ace is a completely independent privately owned company, and it seems they have pretty much become a second party developer for Microsoft this generation.

Versus is made by SquareEnix, runs on the cross-platform White Engine / Crystal Tools, and is thus highly likely to end up on the 360 as well.

As for the Wii, cross-platform 360/PS3/PC/Wii development is not really an option. The Wii hardware just isn't powerful enough. Developers have to make a choice; either develop for the Wii or 360/PS3/PC. They can do both, but that will be twice as expensive. Since the combined software sales of 360/PS3/PC > Wii, it just isn't cost effective to do quality Wii development.

@Bolded #1- Proof? Tri-Ace have sworn no such loyalty to MS, therefore to call such a thing is blasphemy since Tri-Ace is in it to win it via sales, god knows they need it.

@Bolded #2-  Unlike Star Ocean 4 & Final Fantasy XIII, Both Wada and Tetsuya Nomura Confirmed Versus XIII to be a World-Wide PlayStation 3 Exclusive, Also you do realize whos the head-man of Versus XIII dont you? if not i highly think you should look it up.

@The Wii- Agreed.

i still don't like dinomax..

RolStoppable said:
It's like in a parallel universe in which Nintendo doesn't exist.

They mentioned WiiWare :P

Seraphic_Sixaxis;

I don't have proof, but come on. Every tri-Ace game announced or released so far this generation are 360 exclusive. tri-Ace have spent a considerable amount of time developing their own 360 graphics engine, which tri-Ace executives have stated in various interviews will be used for all their games this generation. tri-Ace is a small indie developer. They are unlikely to have the developer resources to do extensive cross-platform development, including graphics engine/tools development. In fact it is very rare for indie developers to do cross-platform development.

Whatever Wada/Nomura says means nothing. They said the exact same thing about FF13. Besides, it's not their decision. It's ultimately the shareholders who decide, and they will not allow Wada to do anything that could hurt the company financially. And with the current market situation it's extremely unlikely that an exclusive Versus will be more profitable than releasing for both HD consoles.

Around the Network

Why should they care about the ability to make more money from the wii if it compromises their artistic vision due to lack of hardware power?

DTG said:
Why should they care about the ability to make more money from the wii if it compromises their artistic vision?

Exactly. They'd never put a major game series like Dragon Quest on a less powerful system as the Wii. Only advanced systems like the PS3, 360 and DS will get that kind of attention.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

DTG said:
Why should they care about the ability to make more money from the wii if it compromises their artistic vision?

Yes because why does a business need to make more money to survive?  LOVE FOR ART PAYS THESE DEVELOPERS!

They also must be very lazy artists too considering most big next gen games have the three colour palate of Green, Brown or Grey.

can that artistic vision. games are all about making money.

Tell that to Suda51.