By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Console had the Best Exclusives in 2008?

PS3 had the best exclusives this year: Siren: Blood Curse, Valkyria Chronicles, WipEout HD, Resistance 2, Disgaea 3, SOCOM Confrontation (it's a great game. Don't look at the scores), Motorstorm: PR and more.

Around the Network

Wii by far.  Source: me.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

bouzane said:
xeroxm3 said:
bouzane said:
@xeroxm3

People are complaining about the inclusion of Xbox/PC and WiiWare/PC titles for good reasons. The PC versions typically have superior graphics, controls and in many cases exclusive content and mod support. This means that a console version of a game that is also available on the PC is usually an inferior product available on a platform that most hardcore gamers have access to. Left4Dead for example is a game that I would not consider picking up on the PS3 if that option were available simply because the PC version would be superior by default.

That doesn't change the fact that the only console Left 4 Dead can be played on is the Xbox 360. While the PC also gets a copy that doesn't make the 360 version void just because graphics and controls are superior on the PC. By that logic every single multi-platform game that performs superior on the Xbox 360 would make the PS3 version pointless. Yes, there are people that will get Left 4 Dead on PC but there will also be probably about a million people that only play it on 360. It seems really foolish to try an exclude titles that are also on the PC on the sole basis that they "can" look prettier and control better when the console versions don't play or look bad at all.

I still think it's silly to slap the term exclusive on a multiplatform title simply because one of the platforms it happens to be available on is the PC. It's not like the 360 and PS3 don't compete directly with the PC.

I don't really think they compete with each other directly especially not in previous generations. This generation is a bit different considering the similarities between the Xbox 360, PS3, and PCs from a technical stand point. However, especially for the Xbox 360 considering its ties to Windows, I wouldn't consider consoles and PCs to be directly competing with each other. Can you go into a Target, Toys R Us, or GameStop and pick up a gaming rig? The home consoles are a living room experience while PCs generally are more of a personal thing that are kept in an office or bedroom. If you asked the average consumer what to get to play games do you think they'd say PC or game console?

Gilgamesh said:

Xbox 360

1. Gears of war                                                     94%

2. Halo 3                                                               94%

3. Gears of War 2                                                  93%

4. Braid                                                                  93%

5. Mass Effect                                                        91%

6. Geometry Wars: Retro Evoled 2                        90%

7. Forza Motorsport 2                                            90%

8. Rez HD                                                               89%

9. Fable II                                                              89%

10. Project Gotham Racing 3                                  88%

Total:                                                                     91.1%

Thought this was about exclusives?

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

xeroxm3 said:
bouzane said:
xeroxm3 said:
bouzane said:
@xeroxm3

People are complaining about the inclusion of Xbox/PC and WiiWare/PC titles for good reasons. The PC versions typically have superior graphics, controls and in many cases exclusive content and mod support. This means that a console version of a game that is also available on the PC is usually an inferior product available on a platform that most hardcore gamers have access to. Left4Dead for example is a game that I would not consider picking up on the PS3 if that option were available simply because the PC version would be superior by default.

That doesn't change the fact that the only console Left 4 Dead can be played on is the Xbox 360. While the PC also gets a copy that doesn't make the 360 version void just because graphics and controls are superior on the PC. By that logic every single multi-platform game that performs superior on the Xbox 360 would make the PS3 version pointless. Yes, there are people that will get Left 4 Dead on PC but there will also be probably about a million people that only play it on 360. It seems really foolish to try an exclude titles that are also on the PC on the sole basis that they "can" look prettier and control better when the console versions don't play or look bad at all.

I still think it's silly to slap the term exclusive on a multiplatform title simply because one of the platforms it happens to be available on is the PC. It's not like the 360 and PS3 don't compete directly with the PC.

I don't really think they compete with each other directly especially not in previous generations. This generation is a bit different considering the similarities between the Xbox 360, PS3, and PCs from a technical stand point. However, especially for the Xbox 360 considering its ties to Windows, I wouldn't consider consoles and PCs to be directly competing with each other. Can you go into a Target, Toys R Us, or GameStop and pick up a gaming rig? The home consoles are a living room experience while PCs generally are more of a personal thing that are kept in an office or bedroom. If you asked the average consumer what to get to play games do you think they'd say PC or game console?

Most people I know play games on PC, many of whom have a PC in their living rooms (if not multiple). I don't think the placement of PCs in people's homes or at retailers really matters though.  I rarely see any of my friends pick up multi-platform games for anything but their PCs and that's what counts.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
xeroxm3 said:
bouzane said:
xeroxm3 said:
bouzane said:
@xeroxm3

Most people I know play games on PC, many of whom have a PC in their living rooms (if not multiple). I don't think the placement of PCs in people's homes or at retailers really matters though.  I rarely see any of my friends pick up multi-platform games for anything but their PCs and that's what counts.

Not only are you one person but you are one person who posts on vgchartz pretty frequently from what I can tell by your post count. I'm assuming you and your friends are really into electronics and tech which makes you a bit different from the average consumer. The average consumer isn't very tech saavy although great strides have been made in the last 4-5 years I'd say with broadband, iTunes, and such. All I'm trying to say is that people connect gaming to the thing done wherever you have the TV where as PCs have so many applications such as the internet, word processing, music, ect that gaming isn't always the priority. When only one "game console" has a game that still means a lot even if their is a PC version of the game as well. Final Fantasy VII was on the PC, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a PlayStation exclusive that generation.

For me PS3, well LBP, MGS4, R2, and VC, I don't need anything else.

^_^

MGS4, LBP and VC. what more could I ask for

Soriku said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Soriku said:
The ratios not that far off is pretty surprising. Next year I think the Wii may fare better, 360 slightly worse and PS3 slightly worse too. Pretty big games came out this year for the 360 and PS3 like LBP, MGS4, GeoW2, etc. while in 2009 the line up doesn't seem as big.

@Bolded- I didnt realize Killzone 2 & Final Fantasy XIII were not big titles. :P silly me. /s

Of course they're big. But there are some problems.

One, FF XIII has no chance to be released in the West in 2009 so we won't have reviews for Western sites/mags. Only Japanese like...Famitsu and Dengeki. Two, KZ2 is only one game and isn't as big as like MGS4. I'm not even sure it'll get the same scores are LBP. LBP will be kinda hard to beat.

2008 is definitely the bigger year.

Remind me when Heavy Rain, God of War 3, InFamous, Gran Turismo 5 (the man said so himself), Uncharted 2, the next Ratchet and Clank, the next Jak, the next Sly Cooper and the Team ICO project were cancelled please.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Everybody won this year.  For a year many of the so called experts called a down year for games, this year has had a ton of great original IP's and a solid line up for all the systems.   So many good games have been released in the last 6 months that it is impossible to keep up.  If this was supposed to be a down year, can I please have another one next year.